View Full Version : Reel suggestion

Adam_777
12-19-2007, 02:16 PM
I have a tsunami airwave 9ft rod.I love the rod and don't see any that are worth retiring it for.I'm using it for tossing plugs.Mostly pencils,poppers,needles,tins and sometimes sluggo's .I've been fishing an Okuma baitcaster.I hate it to death.I cut the bail wire and it fishes a little better minus the grinding inside and the sloppy spool.I'm looking to grab a VS.Only problem is I reel with my right hand so options for the VS are 150 or 250.Which one would go better on this rod for balance ? Is the 150 tough enough for monster blues and big bass or will it wear out after a few good blitz's ?I hope someone can help me out here because it will be a big purchase for me and I don't want to screw it up.

Andy D
12-19-2007, 02:30 PM
IMOH , I think a 250 would be too big for a 9fter. I think a 150 would be a better fit .

decksweeper
12-19-2007, 02:32 PM
I think the 150 is the right "size" for a 9'. I have no doubt the 150 can handle most any bass or blue. But the 150 itself to me feels so small. 95% of the time I fish a 200 on a 10', but wil occasionally fish the 150 on a 9' and I find it to be small. I've never fished the 250, but would think it's a little big for a 9'.

Andy D
12-19-2007, 02:32 PM
As far as strength a 150 has plenty of B@LL$

Gunpowder
12-19-2007, 03:12 PM
if any of the VS reels wore down after a couple of runs of big bass and blues, they wouldnt be costin yah over 600 bucks. and... no one would buy them. thats not the case though so im sure u wouldnt need to worry about that. i dont have one, just an observation.
mike

reelecstasy
12-19-2007, 03:17 PM
I have a 150 on my 9' perfect and you can fish it all night

Adam_777
12-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Nice thanks for the feedback.Looking like the 150 is the better choice.

basswipe
12-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Its a Tsunami.Hang a Spheros on it.

Why hang a $500 reel on a rod you can get for $50 at the upcoming RISSA show in Mar.?Fifty is about what the 9'er is worth.Really.

Adam_777
12-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Why you ask ? I hate bail wires.They are not user friendly in my stiuation.Bailless reels range from Penn704z to Zeebaas.The vs is in the midde of this.Looking for a reel that will last.I don't bust rods unless I step on them or close them in my tailgate.So say I grab a vs150 in silver left handed.I really love working pencils and wood up to 4oz's and on the low side a bomber and small rubber on jigheads.What would be the best rod ? Why do I have the urge to call you "deleted by author"?I'm not modeling for the cover of a fishing magazine or trying to impress anyone I fish near .Just trying to be comfortable tossing plugs for hours at a time.Best rod for me with a vs150 would be ?

Gunpowder
12-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Best rod for me with a vs150 would be ?

9' ugly stick :usd: orrr maybe an arra 9', eglass in ten or a gsb in nine maybe?

zimmy
12-21-2007, 09:36 AM
If you are happy with the rod, who gives a frig how much it cost? Heck you say you love it.Get the reel you want and put it on it. You will have the reel for a long time and it will probably be on alot of rods in its life. It would be insane to stop using a rod you love because because it cost less than the reel.

fishbones
12-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Why you ask ? I hate bail wires.They are not user friendly in my stiuation.Bailless reels range from Penn704z to Zeebaas.The vs is in the midde of this.Looking for a reel that will last.I don't bust rods unless I step on them or close them in my tailgate.So say I grab a vs150 in silver left handed.I really love working pencils and wood up to 4oz's and on the low side a bomber and small rubber on jigheads.What would be the best rod ? Why do I have the urge to call you asswipe?I'm not modeling for the cover of a fishing magazine or trying to impress anyone I fish near .Just trying to be comfortable tossing plugs for hours at a time.Best rod for me with a vs150 would be ?

I'm reading through this and that line comes up out of nowhere. It caused me to spit coffee on my desk. As for the rod. Stick with the one you are using. At least give it a shot with the new reel and if you don't like it, buy a new one. I wouldn't give up on a rod you like just because it's not expensive.

basswipe
12-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Why you ask ?Why do I have the urge to call you asswipe?I'm not modeling for the cover of a fishing magazine or trying to impress anyone I fish near .Just trying to be comfortable tossing plugs for hours at a time.Best rod for me with a vs150 would be ?

Huh?

If you don't like my advice...fine,don't take it.

Call me an asswipe?Don't think so.

Suck me a$$hole.

Edit as you feel John,but I'll be damned if this idiot's gonna insult me.

Adam_777
12-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Sorry Basswipe for the comment.Didn't mean to upset you like that.It was the way I read your reply.Seemed like you were downing me for the rod....really.Hell maybe the rod is a POS but I like it and I'm looking for a bailless real that will work with it until I decide I need another rod.Not a big deal man.Call me what you want to.I don't care.Just read it like you were putting me down for the rod.Thats why I wrote that.Thanks to everyone for the input and hopefully this post disappears in a quick manner.Admin can lock it up or delete if needed.It's been beat like a dead horse.

GonnaCatchABig1
12-21-2007, 06:46 PM
9' ugly stick

i hope you were joking.. when ever i plug i want to throw mine in the ocean and never come back for it. thing weighs a metric ton compared to other rods. decent chunking rod though.

stripadan
12-21-2007, 07:02 PM
I have several St. Croix, Loomis, and Tsunami rods. Like them all for different situations, but would not hesitate to put a high end reel on any of the Tsunami's. My 10' conventional is now my favorite go-to rod, although I wish it was about 9 inches shorter.