View Full Version : The ORDER of the Hatch...................

BassDawg
12-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Don't know the importance of all the hatches that happen during the course of our all too short season,

However, I do know that our finely finned stripe ed ones are coming up here for a reason.

Does the order matter? Heard many say that matching the hatch/bait is far less important than finding it, since our stripers are generally avarice and we'll eat whatever they find ~wherever they find it.

If the order does matter, then how far off is the following list, and could some of the wily veterans chime in on what is the correct order and its real or perceived value?? Could this also be helpful as to which lure is going to work when and where?? Any links/suggested reading would be most appreciated regarding this type of info. Just wondering and trying to plan better for next season...............:read: :read:

Thanking you in advance, as always, for your time and considerations, gents. Please feel free to correct/edit/rage against my googanity :grins: :grins: :grins:!!

Not sure about the availability mths~or their location during season, but here goes:
Squid, april-may~oceanic
Alewife, may-june~estaurine
Adult pogies, may-nov~oceanic to estaurine to oceanic
Sand worm, april-may~estaurine to oceanic
Eeeeeels, yearround~both????
Crustaceans, resident~bottoms dwellers
Shellfish, resident~bottoms dwellers
P-nut Bunker, july-dec~estaurine to oceanic
Mackeral, june-nov~oceanic
Sea Herring, sept-dec~oceanic

Gunpowder
12-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Could this also be helpful as to which lure is going to work when and where??

mannn do i wish i had the answer to that one :cheers:

BassDawg
12-20-2007, 11:49 AM
mannn do i wish i had the answer to that one :cheers:

I hear ya, bro! I meant generally speaking of course. I am not completely convinced, as I have far too few moons under my belt, but I'm starting to gather that certain times of the year, certain baits are more prevalent than others.

I just think that it would be cool to use it as a reference point of some kind, say post-its on a calendar, until that info gets burned into my brain and it will be one less thing to ponder and one more thing for the surfbag/gear checklist....................