View Full Version : Orvis Wading Boots

MountainBreeze
09-24-2002, 06:54 AM
Anyone wearing a pair?

If so, which model and what do you think of them?

Also, if you are not wearing waders with stocking feet, what do you wear in the boots? Neoprene "booties"???

I'd like to pick up a pair of boots for this weekend. My old sneakers just don't cut it.

Thanks,
Rob

Big Vern
09-24-2002, 07:01 AM
Go the extra yard, and pick up a pair of waders that go up to your chest. If you're going to be surfcasting for a while, you'll be buying them down the road anyway. The breathables are really quite comfortable in the summer if you've got a long walk, and in the spring and fall you just wear some fleece pant underneath and it's all good.

MountainBreeze
09-24-2002, 07:05 AM
Don,

I do plan on getting a pair of waders as well but, while the water is still warm, I'd like to wade in shorts.

So, I'd like a boot that I can use with / without waders.

Do you know if the Orvis boots are ok to wear in salt or if I should stick with a salt water specific boot?

Cheers,
Rob

Big Vern
09-24-2002, 08:07 AM
Do you like to wade in shorts at night? I for one definitely do NOT. Seen way too much stuff in the water over the years to do that. Plus, one jellyfish sting, and wading in shorts will come to a prompt end.

MountainBreeze
09-24-2002, 08:11 AM
HA! Good point about the jelly fish! ;)

At this point, I am not fishing at night. In the future, I hope to and that is when the waders come in, as well as when the water is too cold.

That is why I want a pair of boots I can use w/ wo waders. I guess what I'm asking for is opinions of boots to wear with waders and I'll just wear shorts with them when I want to.

Like these Orvis Henry’s Fork Wading Shoes: URL (http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=J672E&feature_id=&dir_id=758&group_id=777&cat_id=22&subcat_id=1&shop_id=)

More thoughts???

Cheers,
Rob

jeffsod
09-24-2002, 08:33 AM
If you are wet wading a pair of neoprene booties are a great way to go. Patagonia makes an expensive pair of boots for wet wading called the Marlwalkers but they recommend socks while wearing them. Also, I think Reddington makes a pair of hi and low cut wading shows. I surf a lot in the cold water and always wear polypro socks under my booties because it makes them ten times easier to remove especially where we don't use the type with the side zippers like divers do.

If you are planning on getting waders with stocking feet look at Orvis' pack and travel wading shoes around 45.00. I have a pair and love them. I would not recommend wearing these barefoot. One caveat is I pulled the speed lace rings out of the canvas after a year of use but I was ablet to just string the lace through the hole they left behind and are still using them 7 years later. These boots don't offer the support of the above pictured shoe but are light and work well for me for long walks in soft sand with stocking foot waders.

If you hike on sand long distances the stocking foot waders with a dive bootie or the pack and travel wading boots are much easier to trek in. Try hiking 5 miles in the capes soft sand in waders with those standard wader clunkie boots attached. Uh, no thanks.

Last season I got the Orvis Hiking Breathables as a gift and they have the built in lace up boots but I can't say I like them as much as the previously mentioned setup. Better by far than regular boots since they lace up and give fairly good support but still kind of clunkie for long walks in sugary sand.

MountainBreeze
09-24-2002, 09:51 AM
Thanks fer' the feedback jeffsod!

I just got back from Orvis.

Bought a pair of Henry’s Fork Studded boots and some "Wader Saver Socks!" I need the extra support of a boot and these felt GREAT! Boy are they light too. I like the fact that they have a sole kit so you can use felt, felt w/ studs or rubber w/ studs depending on conditions.

Now, when I am ready to get my waders, w/ stocking feet, I'll be all set in the shoe department.

WOO HOO! Come on weekend!!!

BTW:
Service was excellent! And... The sales guy showed me a pair of Korkers... NAZTY! ;)