View Full Version : Food in Newport?

PI guy
12-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on a good place to grab some lunch?

whiplash
12-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Black Pearl.

spence
12-20-2007, 10:07 PM
A lot of options...for a decent priced and great casual lunch spot I really like Pasta Beach on Memorial.

-spence

scottw
12-21-2007, 12:14 AM
Brick Alley Pub....RI Monthly's Best Restaurant in RI 2007

jbuck
12-21-2007, 05:13 AM
I 2nd the brick alley pub

maddog2020
12-21-2007, 06:54 AM
Flo's Clam Shack - Middletown. Just across from Newport First Beach.

That is where craftyangler/Chuck sent us (BTW - where has he been?!)

I can tell you where NOT to eat: avoid The Red Parrot unless you just want a good view of the people walking down the main drag there. ;)

fishpoopoo
12-21-2007, 08:10 AM
Fancy: Moorings. :btu:

Casual: Coddington Brewery (just up the road in Middletown0.

HighTide
12-21-2007, 08:26 AM
When we make a trip to Newport it's because we want to go to the Black Pearl.

Saltheart
12-21-2007, 09:15 AM
many are way expensive. For reasonable prices and good foods , i always liked Salas , it just about 30 feet from the guy diving into the wave (he may have socks on today cause its cold :) ). I also used to like Moorings but its not what it used to be. Wharf Deli on Bannisters wharf is where the locals go if they are in that neck of the woods. Good food and reasonable prices and beer in pints , including harp , bass and guiness. Brick Alley Pub is also very good. I also remember that Kevin stacoms place , Mudville Pub is good.

In Newport , there is no end to the number of good places , the problem is some will empty your wallet.

Ake G
12-21-2007, 09:17 AM
I like Flo's Clam shack....but make no mistake, it's no Woodman's or Clam Shack in Kennebunk :hee:

RIROCKHOUND
12-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Lunch, definetly Coddington for a burger and beer, easy parking and outside the crush of shoppers downtown this weekend... And hell, if you need another reason, they make their own (great) beer
either the irish stout or choc porter

http://www.coddbrew.com/

Nebe
12-21-2007, 09:31 AM
22 Bowen gets my vote for an awesomely delicious dinner.

Castle Hill for an awesome view

HighTide
12-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Anybody remember the Starboard Tack? When I was stationed at C Hill we used to hang out there- also O'Brien's on Thames St.

but I haven't been to either place since '89

cheferson
12-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Thai food at Siam square E. main rd middletown is good, cheap ( $7 or so) and large portions too, and is also minutes away from the SWE.

MarshCappa
12-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Mudville Pub in my opinion has better food than Brick Alley. Haven't been there in a long time but used to always love that place. Coddington is awesome too.

MarshCappa
12-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Another placed I loved was the Wharf Pub/Deli. Good raw bar there if I remember correctly. I'm starting to have flashbacks of my single days!

bassballer
12-21-2007, 02:15 PM
johnnys ABC club. The food wont be the only thing you enjoy:btu:

basswipe
12-21-2007, 04:22 PM
CODDINGTON BREWERY!!!

Anytime,any day,best eatery there is.Will be there within the hour.Bday dinner.Yea me!

BassDawg
12-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Clam Chowder
The Black Pearl, hands down. Great atmosphere, on the water, impeccable service, and reasonably priced for NPT.

Burgers and Beer
Mudville Pub ~ Reubens are spot on as well, big burgers, loads of brew to choose from, decent service, reasonably priced.

The Coddington Brewery ~ Great burgers, and they BREW THEIR OWN BEER/nuff said, decent service, removed from Thames, reasonable prices.

The Wharf Pub & Deli ~ Not so much for the hamburg, but the deli selections are verrry tasty, definitely a Locals spot, excellent service, good prices.

The Brick Alley Pub ~ Was there a month ago for dinner and was sadly disappointed, service was excellent; but the food was sub-par for them, prolly gonna be packed (there was a wait), the apps were overpriced.

Cafe Zelda's ~ Lower Thames, lots of local ambience, excellent food, sit at the bar for fun or dine in the Cafe for a full lunch menu, reasonably priced for NPT.

The White Horse Tavern/Tavern Fare ~ Roaring fire in the small tavern that has the best atmosphere in NPT for romantic bonus pts, excellent food, tableside Ceasar's, great clam chowder, great burgers and other lunch fare, standard NE beer selection, pricey at night and reasonably priced for NPT during the day. Quintessesntial NPT dining and affordable in the tiny Tavern for lunch. Get there early as it is first come first served for lunch, double check with a call about lunch in the "Pub", it's been awhile since I've dined there.

Italian
Momma Luisa's ~ they have it all, just like Momma used to make it in the old country/magnifico, great service, great prices, fun and friendly.

Peurini's ~ never been there for lunch, but dinner is fresh and delicious. not sure about the burgs.

It's prolly shorter to come up with a list of NPT dining don'ts. I would have to concur with the naysayers about the Parrot. Most everywhere else is tuff to go wrong with. Flo's Clam shack has been closed for the season, downstairs, and they still do some stuff upstairs but that's not usually why one goes to Flo's.............

Have fun and I hope this helps. Used to ply my knives in the City by the Sea. Pm me if you are ever interested in some dinner recommendations. Cheers, mate!

fcap60
12-22-2007, 05:44 AM
There are many, many good places to eat in Newport. If the weather is decent, just walk the main road and you'll walk by numberous restaurants. I also reccpmend the Brick Alley Pub for general fare. but that would not be my choice for true seafood. (Maybe the black pearl or somewhere else down that alley)

Just ask the locals if there's something you're craving..you'll probably get 5 different opinions.

good luck

PI guy
12-22-2007, 08:03 AM
Sounds like we will have no shortage of places to choose from. Thanks and Merry Christmas! After looking at their website, I think it will be Coddingtons.