View Full Version : LIPS !

saltydog
12-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Now that PM brought up the topic of LIPS my QUESTION IS
does any one PAINT THEM.
is it more TADITIONAL to leave them shine.
is it aginst plug building rules NO-ONE paints them.
or is it a waist of time to do so.
SORRY, Im still on a learning curve:spin:
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:wavey:

Diamond Tackle
12-22-2007, 12:02 PM
there are no such rules in plug building as far as I am aware
Bobby (Beachmaster) paints them black on his black swimmers, or at least he used to. You would first want to sandblast them to etch the surface and then paint away. If it gives u more confidence, do it.

ProfessorM
12-22-2007, 12:03 PM
I would think if you glassbeaded, rough for paint adhesion, them and did a nice job of priming them and paint they would hold up pretty well. I make my own bunker spoons, stainless, and they hold up pretty decent. You could always bake it on too at a painting place, have to pay that way though.. How about powderpaint? Might work. I was just thinking yesterday what a lip heated to 1500 degrees in the small oven we have at work for heat treating metal would look like on a dark, black plug. I have done some ss needles that way and they come out dark purple, black looking. AN all dark plug. Could be neat.

justplugit
12-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Jigman paints some of his lips.

Ake G
12-22-2007, 12:45 PM
At my job I use a nice paint bonder called XIM...for metal and plastic. Always scuff up the surface.Never had topcoats fail. Don't know about saltwater immersion.

I'm excited about this matte plug lip thing....I'm going to go buff out a couple now for laughs.

ProfessorM
12-22-2007, 12:56 PM
If you buff it it will get shinny I would think. I threw them in the tumbler at work. If you are not familiar with a tumbler it is a big container full of stones with water recirculated into it in small amounts. The whole container vibrates and thus the edges and the surface of said metal, aluminum, is tumbled and thus deburred after a half hour give or take 15 min. Works kind of like the unbalanced washing machine load thing that so many housewifes love so much.:bounce: We have even made, small sized ones, to put in a lathe chuck and turned at slow rpm's with the stones and a little water in them with the parts. Kind of like rock polishing tumblers. Kind of like these, but ours are more heavy duty industrial size units.
http://www.thumlerstumbler.com/rotary.html
http://www.thumlerstumbler.com/vibratory.html

Not these http://www.jessewhitetumblingteam.com/

Tagger
12-22-2007, 01:55 PM
GRS paints them on his squid plug .

ProfessorM
12-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Yup Ed is right. That is real perty plug.

Jigman
12-22-2007, 02:23 PM
I've painted a few on black plugs. Rustoleum spray comes off pretty easy. Powder paint works and last a little longer. Any more I don't bother. Don't really think it makes a difference.

Jigman

saltydog
12-22-2007, 04:23 PM
THANK YOU for the info, I might Skuff an paint one for the He-- of it. just to see what it looks like.
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:wiggle:

massmike
12-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Scuff it thoroughly in a couple of directions, front , back and sides. Prime with clean metal Rustoleum primer and finish with Rustoleum Gloss black, white or yellow. Been doing it a couple of years with decent results.

saltydog
12-28-2007, 07:47 PM
massmike, thank you for the info will do. got to get a few more lips then Ill do-up a couple.
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:bl: