View Full Version : Where to get drill bits?

WadingWill
12-31-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm looking for a 1/8 brad point bit at least 6" long. I've searched on this and found W.L. Fuller but they are closed and I really want to get started on this today. I've searched all my local hardware stores including home depot and lowes, and can't find them long enough. Anybody know of a place with them in stock, or should I just wait and get them from Fuller?

Pete F.
12-31-2007, 12:57 PM
Home depot usually has non brad point bits that are 6 or 12" long
I have better luck with the 3/16 than 1/8

gldnbear93
12-31-2007, 01:09 PM
If you are in Rhody, try Harbor Freight on RT 2 near Target. I know they have them. Home depot and Lowes usually have them as well.
If you want better stuff, then wait till Fuller Reopens. The will Grind the spurs off the bradpoints for endgrain for you also.

ProfessorM
12-31-2007, 01:35 PM
I have 2 brand new ones I never used. They are 8" long. I will give you a good deal on them if you want

WadingWill
12-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Professor M, pm sent.

WadingWill
12-31-2007, 01:58 PM
I've found long enough 1/8 inch bits just not brad points. How important is it to be drilling with a brad point, and how important is it to have the spurs ground off? I'm sure I'll find out when I start drilling but can anyone fill me in?

ProfessorM
12-31-2007, 02:31 PM
Personally I see no need to use those expensive drills. The flute is too long and causes the drill to be too flimsy, thus walking may occur. There is no way you will be having chips flow all the way down the flutes. Aircraft drills are the way to go. You can get them 12 inches and over in total length but the flutes will only be 2 inches long. Cut them to the length you want. You are going to be relieving the chips every 1/4 to 1/2 inch you drill in depth so no need for 6 to 8 inches of flute. I would also go with a 5/32 size dia. as that is the size of the nose grommets and the added dia. will give you a more rigid drill. Now I am sure some guys use the brads and love them but IMO you will be better off and save some $$$. You can get them in cobalt for longer wear too if you want to spend a little extra.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1675369&PMT4NO=35075557

WadingWill
12-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks agian Professor!!!

ProfessorM
12-31-2007, 02:40 PM
enthusiasm:kewl:

numbskull
12-31-2007, 03:31 PM
I've been very happy with the spurless bradpoints I get from Fuller drill, though I have not tried it Paul's way with the aircraft bits and his points make good sense.

togue
01-01-2008, 01:45 PM
I have been playing around with both brad point and aircraft drills, and have been able to get the 1/8" sizes to work out well, but you have to clear the chips often and take your time.

I find a shorter brad point bit helps me get centered easier when I start out. A shorter drill bit also limits flex along the shaft, reducing walking of the bit. After I get my pilot holes started out good and straight, I switch to a longer aircraft bit to complete the job.

ProfessorM - Good tip, thanks for another good tool source! Sounds like you have everything anyone would need in your shop, right down to the Zircon encrusted tweezers!

ProfessorM
01-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Yeah I have probably drilled a million holes and tapped 500,000 so far in my life. It is nice to have access to different options. I too use a short bit before I use longer ones. You can usually tell within the first 1/4" if you are going to be good on the thru wire holes. Usually if you start off good you will have no problems.