View Full Version : right eqiupment

leo33
12-31-2007, 06:43 PM
newbie here so i have a couple of questions.grew up catching scup and a few stripers.got heavy into the freshwater and now i'm ready for something new.got a 8/9 temple fork fly rod combo for christmas and hoping to start with some schoolies.will this setup hold up?what type of line should i use floating,sinking,slow sink? what type of flies to get started?
thanks for any input in advance.

Bigcat
12-31-2007, 07:23 PM
That outfit will work fine. I like intermediate lines, get a few deceivers, and clousers and your good to go.

thortum
12-31-2007, 08:50 PM
As far as the line is concerned, it depends on how your fishing [boat or surf ?]. If from shore I would use an intermediate as Bigcat stated, but from a boat you would be better off with a full quick sink line. In any case both lines are useful and I would get both. :uhoh:

baldwin
01-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Wise advice with that intermediate. You could work poppers and sliders with it by starting your retrieve as soon as the fly hits the water, let it sink a bit (even cast up-current and let sink) to get down deeper. Clousers, deceivers, and bunny flies are great to start with. Add a couple of poppers and sliders and you're off to a good start. A good chest pack that sits high and doesn't get in the way of your home made stripping basket, and some plastic baggies to stash your flies in will complete your setup.

BillyBlanks
01-01-2008, 11:44 AM
I use an intermediate line for all my shore fishing. When I fish from a boat I use Orvis' loop on sink tip. It works very well and is easy to use.

leo33
01-01-2008, 12:13 PM
thank you for the replys.:cheers:looking forward to the spring.

BillyBlanks
01-01-2008, 01:32 PM
A couple things that might help pass the winter.....

Longer Fly Casting by Lefty Kreh

Stripers on the Fly by Lou Tabory

Both are great books that you can learn a lot from.