View Full Version : Power carve swimmer...

Rockfish9
01-02-2008, 10:33 AM
seeing as I used all power tools, this little guy is not a hand carved...

I was going to post it as a Holiday carve but ran out of time...

I made it out of mahogany, for casting and swimming depth, I have also had good luck with pine and cedar...I've also made some hybreds from Mahogany( head) and cedar(tail) these swim with a tail up attitude and tend to stay closer to the surface...

This plug is sealed with BLO, primed with Zinzer oil base and rattle can painted, three or 4 coats of spray varnish provides the finish...for a little added flash, I applied a touch of glitted betweeen the first and second coat of varnish..

The plug is 5" long 15/16 wide at its head and tapers down to 1/4" at the tail, the joint is made from brass toilet chain links ,the lip is cut from lexan( the bill is 7/8" wide and 1 3/8" long) and placed at a 30 degree angle 1/2" deep and 1/2" back from the nose,#4 SS screws secure the liks on the side and belly, I used 3/4" long screw eyes that were secured by a drop of 1 hour (water proof )epoxy, I got the original specs from a 5" nils master minnow and tweaked and jointed it to fit my own needs..it swims down about 12-18" (Mahogany) with a tight frightend minnow action....

First I trace my pattern on graff paper.... I then cut it out and using spray adhesive, attach it to my block of wood...

Continued:

Rockfish9
01-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Cut out the blank, I used the band saw, but I HAVE cut them with a coping saw.....

Rockfish9
01-02-2008, 10:38 AM
I then draw out my flanks and bring the blank to the belt sander, again, I've done it by hand... I'm just not that ambitious any more...

Rockfish9
01-02-2008, 10:42 AM
once the plug has been roughed out, I make my cuts for the bill and joint,be sure to make small chamfers on either side of the body joint , it makes a better looking, better swimming plug. I then hand sand the final contour of the plug...

Rockfish9
01-02-2008, 10:46 AM
I 1/4" hole is bored in the center of the plug using a forshner bit, deep enough to facilitate the link of chain, drill and counter sink a pilot hole in one side and the belly of the plug for the retaining screws that will hold the link(s) /joint in place...at this time, I also drill my pilot holes for the screw eyes that will hold the hooks...

Rockfish9
01-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Now trace out you lexan lip,I use 1/8" lexan for these, I cut mine on a schroll saw with no issues, but a band saw or coping saw will work nicely, be sure to test fit all parts, especialy the lip, I ususly need to work the slot wiht some #80 sand paper to get it to fit snugly..

Rockfish9
01-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Once every thing is test fit, seal prime and paint....

Now install your swim lip, I use marine grade 60 minute 2 part epoxy to secure the lip, I also add a drop to the 3/4" long screw eyes as an added precaution..

These are great littl plugs for the first arrival schoolies, I've also had theinjhaled by fish considerably larger and they held fast....

Jigman
01-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Cool plug! Interesting tutorial :read:

Jigman

Slipknot
01-02-2008, 01:12 PM
:btu: wow nice stuff Joe
Looks like a mr wiggly almost