View Full Version : Atom 40 replica

nipideddee
01-04-2008, 02:37 PM
I have a couple of the plastic Atom 40's that or really junk but I decided to make exact copies for my surf collection. I cut one on the band saw to see how they were made and see indivudal float chambers in the plug. I did mike and draw to scale the body before this mutulation took place and was wondering if anyone has duplicated the plug in wood and if so how they weighted it and what lip they used. I know weighting is a hit and miss situation and has to be tested but any ideas as a starter would be appreciated.
Nip

Canalman
01-04-2008, 04:33 PM
PM me your address and I'll send you a copy of an article I wrote for the Fisherman last year about how to make an Atom 40. :kewl:

ProfessorM
01-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Copy the Bluestreak. The Atom's belly hooks are too close together IMO.

Tagger
01-04-2008, 05:26 PM
You can still get wood atom 40's on ebay .. 1 type is unweighted and 1 is arse weighted ..after a while you can tell just by looking at them wich is weighted .. This ones unweighted .. I can tell .. arse curve ..This will go good ,, condition and box ... saw one go last night 9.99 ...
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ATOM-SALTWATER-SURF-FISHING-LURE-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ170182968111QQihZ007QQcategoryZ794QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mikecc
01-04-2008, 06:40 PM
I have kits up on the site & I added the Pictures

These are the copy of the Bluestreak /A 40 ,also added a Round Nose Swimmer & Eel Skin Swimmer

http://www.capecodtackle.com/Merchant/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=cct01&Category_Code=07_06_LURE+BODIES

numbskull
01-04-2008, 08:32 PM
I have a couple of the plastic Atom 40's that or really junk but I decided to make exact copies for my surf collection. I cut one on the band saw to see how they were made and see indivudal float chambers in the plug. I did mike and draw to scale the body before this mutulation took place and was wondering if anyone has duplicated the plug in wood and if so how they weighted it and what lip they used. I know weighting is a hit and miss situation and has to be tested but any ideas as a starter would be appreciated.
Nip

They sell A40 exact lips. The original A40 was cedar and unweighted. Some modern "A40" by commerical builders have a central belly weight and a smallish tail weight. The best point to weight most surface swimmers is at the balance point when the plug has hooks on it.