View Full Version : Insane Bluefish Blitz Video and more...

Fish_Eye
01-05-2008, 12:16 AM
Hi Everyone,

I’ve just posted a video trailer for my upcoming seminar series, “The Underwater World of Game Fish” – in High Definition.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPMKygfhSBU"]

Check out the insane bluefish blitz that goes off about a minute into the video…it’s amazing.

Anyone who’s been to Cuttyhunk is sure to love the section I shot there this fall. There’s now a local captain who’s set up to live line bunker in the stones...need I say more!

You can still get ticket to the January 8th, East Bay Angler seminar at Barrington High School by calling Will Barbeau at 401-245-8375 and he will hold tickets at the door for anyone interest in attending.

It’s a shame that you can’t see the true quality of standard DV never mind the breathtaking 1080P High Def quality that the finished product will show in. Unfortunately, YouTube recompresses the crap out of what you hand over to them; I had already taken a 3 Gigabyte file (only 2:22 minutes long) down to 80 Megabytes with meticulous precision and an amalgamation of setting that is suppose to help compensate for their conveyor-belt Flash conversion procedure…Oh well!

I will also be taking this show on the road and doing it for the Westport Fisherman’s Association, The Easter Fishing and Outdoor Exposition in Worcester, Ma; Suffern, NY and Somerset, NJ, as well as The Northeast Fishing and Hunting Expo in Hartford, CT.

I hope to see a bunch of fellow Striped-Bass.com posters in my travels.

Happy New Year to everyone and Best Fishes in 08’

Mike

The Dad Fisherman
01-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Linky no Worky.....

Fish_Eye
01-05-2008, 01:00 AM
Hope that fixes it.

Thanks The Dad Fisherman.

Blitzseeker
01-05-2008, 08:26 AM
That is definitely one of the sickest bluefish blitzes that I've ever seen. I've seen a couple about as good, but none better.

bart
01-05-2008, 08:28 AM
looked like weekapaug the last week of october

eastendlu
01-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Can't you use Divx instead of youtube?Better quality i've watched movies that people have put up on it and loks great.

Joe
01-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Hi Everyone,
Unfortunately, YouTube recompresses the crap out of what you hand over to them; I had already taken a 3 Gigabyte file (only 2:22 minutes long) down to 80 Megabytes with meticulous precision and an amalgamation of setting that is suppose to help compensate for their conveyor-belt Flash conversion procedure.

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2005/02/18/inside-snl-radner.jpg
"Hey Laptew, you got a helluva vocabularly for a guy from Rhode Island."

Fish_Eye
01-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Blitzseeker,

What you saw in the video clip was only a fraction of what I captured that day. There were areas close to a quarter mile in length that exploded off the Newport War College. At the same time the shoreline was smoken' there were countless pods, each one at least an acre in size popping up like mushrooms in the rain.

This went on for hours. I've never seen so many peanut bunker getting their tails handed to them by blitzing blues. A good friend of mine saw someone fall out a boat and into one of those feeding frenzies; he said the guy never stopped screeming and that apparently he got back into the boat without a scratch...good thing he wasn't wearing a bunker costume or had a jar of smelly jelly in his pants pocket.

Eastendlu,

DivX is a powerful compression codec, but when you start out with high def and you have multiple layered elements (video in video, video in moving graphics, transitions, etc.) and the content is nothing but fast moving objects in a low contrast situation, you have all the worst elements possible for compression. Anyway, try and get a look at it on a 12' wide screen with stereo sound...I previewed it at the Barrington High School yesterday and it was awesome.

Joe,
"Hey Laptew, you got a helluva vocabularly for a guy from Rhode Island."

You're right I should have simply said, "Wicked big, wicked good!" or is that the trade marked tag line for a Newport Creamery, Awful, Awful?

Everyone

What was the biggest blitz you've ever seen?

What species of fish?

What were they feeding on?

Where was it?

spence
01-05-2008, 11:15 AM
While not as intense as in the video I stood chest deep in a nice peanut/bluefish blitz off a Little Compton beach a few years back. I didn't even attempt to fish but rather just stood there and enjoyed the show and the blues swimming between my legs and bumping into me for 10 min.

-spence

BassDawg
01-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Firstly, Mike thank you for that amazing footage!!!!

SPECTACULAR!!!!!

Duke41
01-05-2008, 11:50 AM
mike yoiu are gettign soooo goood at this keep it up . that would look great on Imax

Al in Westport
01-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Hi Mike,

Great clip!

The biggest blitz I have ever seen was in October two years ago off Gooseberry here in Westport. School after school, up and down pritty near the whole west side. It was a mix of Bass and Blues feeding on Peanut Bunker.

Do you have a date for the Westport Fisherman's Ass'n show?

Thanks, Al

Surfpirate
01-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Spectacular! can't wait to see the whole seminar!

great job!

BigFish
01-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Mike....you got any blitz footage from a "fish-eye" view??? From underwater??? That would be something to see!:eyes:

Hooper
01-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi Mike-

Best blitz was east of Great Point Nantucket 1993 in October. Found ourselves in the middle of a huge migration of stripers all in the 34"-40" range. For as far as the eye could see in any direstion there were birds and bass busting underneath them. One of those days you will never forget. We left all those fish still bustin' water as far as we could see because the SW winds were well over 25 kts. Made for a lumpy ride home to Harwich.

Thanks for the video!!!!

RIJIMMY
01-05-2008, 06:21 PM
October this year in the bay from Quonset to NK town beach - exactly like that blitz you filmed, except there were 50,000 birds. As far as I could see and so thick you could walk on them. You could cast 360 degrees on the boat and catch a fish. Went from 2:30pm until I finally got sick and left them around 5pm because I was sick of catching them. All on peanuts. Insane stuff.

Fish_Eye
01-05-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm trying an experiment here to see if I can provide you with a High Def look at this content.

Vuse is one of the leading providers of Hi-Def content on the web --- if you follow the link you'll be able to view a quick preview that's vastly superior to the YouTube download with a signficantly better quality download avaliable -- it's not for those of you with dial-up access, it's around 139 MB at www.vuze.com (http://www.vuze.com/details/QZCQ757PMJUD7YNZUAW4OCHIKFNIVY36.html)

Let me know what you think of the quality. It looked fairly good to me...full screen high def with only a little raggedness to some of the text I embedded in the frame, otherwise I thought it was pretty cool.

Mike

MagicWand
01-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Mike, That was really cool. Are your upcoming videos going to be in high def. like blu-ray.That would be the ultimate.

spence
01-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Let me know what you think of the quality. It looked fairly good to me...full screen high def with only a little raggedness to some of the text I embedded in the frame, otherwise I thought it was pretty cool.
Video rez was awsome...picture was jerky, but I'm not sure if that was my machine or how you encoded the video?

-spence

redcrbbr
01-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Pretty neat commercial Mike. As always awesome footage.

leptar
01-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Everyone

What was the biggest blitz you've ever seen?
What species of fish?
What were they feeding on?
Where was it?

1989 or 1990...From Tiverton's Grinnells beach as far as you could see towards the island, across the river to Portsmouth and up to the bend heading into MT Hope.
Bluefish mostly and some Squeteague... don't remember any striped ones....
They were feeding on butterfish
Sakonnet River It became stupid fishing... People stopped casting because it was pointless.. bluefish were all over the place and were hitting the lines and anything else that was in the water... A week or 2 later Pogies came down the river and got ambushed... Nannaquaket Pond was a slaughter zone for a couple of weeks.. Monster blues and bass trapped the pogies... After they left it was devoid of fish for a while...

Blitzseeker
01-07-2008, 09:16 AM
I saw a bluefish blitz on the back beach at Race Pt a few years ago where the action was about as vigorous as in the video, from right in the first rut out to about 50 yards offshore, about 300 yards long down the beach. When on for about an hour and a half, with the wind whipping staight onshore at about 40 mph. You could, and people did, catch many blues with their bare hands that flopped up on the beach. Most people really did just stop fishing and watch....it was like an episode on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

MarshCappa
01-07-2008, 10:05 AM
I really liked that video. Very unique in regards to how your footage is captured.

My best personal blitzes that I have experienced happened in Duxbury. The first occured 2 years ago on the front beach while surfcasting in the Fall. It started out as nothing with not a fish in sight and then out of knowhere someone turned on the jacquzzi jets and the game was on. It was so cool seeing peanuts being chased up on the beach and stripers darting in the tubes of the waves.

The 2nd was this year also in Duxbury but this time the bay side and the whole bay was busting peanuts for hours everywhere I looked. As far as numbers of fish i have never seen anything like this in my life. I was motoring right through them on the whole ride back. Even at the landing there were busting fish. This was in the fall as well.

Squibby17
01-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Mike,

I got "stripers gone wild" for Christmas and was very happy with it. Tremendous job I've been meaning to get you that feedback.

This video looks like it may be next on my list.

Biggest blitz,

Boat: Off Chatham, all bluefish very similar to your video. You could hardly fish cause you would keep getting broke off. It was insane.

Beach: Lobsterville in July 04. The herring were all over the place, Stripers, Blues and Fluke just gorging. I've never seen so many bait fish laided up on the shore.

RIJIMMY
01-07-2008, 04:29 PM
mike - is that shot in the last screen real, is that fish really eying that plug or was it spliced together?
I'm not not being critical, I was just wondering if its a real shot or more of a demonstration thing.

striperman36
01-07-2008, 04:41 PM
1989 or 1990...From Tiverton's Grinnells beach as far as you could see towards the island, across the river to Portsmouth and up to the bend heading into MT Hope.
Bluefish mostly and some Squeteague... don't remember any striped ones....
They were feeding on butterfish
Sakonnet River It became stupid fishing... People stopped casting because it was pointless.. bluefish were all over the place and were hitting the lines and anything else that was in the water... A week or 2 later Pogies came down the river and got ambushed... Nannaquaket Pond was a slaughter zone for a couple of weeks.. Monster blues and bass trapped the pogies... After they left it was devoid of fish for a while...

It also ran around Common Fence Point.

I was there for that one, that was incredible, the bait was trapped n Nannaquaket and couldn't get out without running the gauntlet. It was just totally unreal

Gunpowder
01-07-2008, 10:13 PM
mike realll nice stuff as usual. hope i get to meet u at RISAA this year... missed ya last year had to leave kinda soon... great videos though

fishpoopoo
01-08-2008, 07:57 AM
yeesh. you could throw muddy cardboard into that mayhem and probably get a hit.

cheferson
01-08-2008, 08:10 AM
yeesh. you could throw muddy cardboard into that mayhem and probably get a hit.

This past summer along brenton point there was an all out blitz. I only had two lures and no steel , only lasted about 30 minutes before they were both bitten off. Tied on a coke can with some rocks inside and had the blues slamming it out of the water.

Blitzseeker
01-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Cheferson-

Some of the older guys I fish with tell a story about a blitz in the 70s on the Cape where they caught fish for four hours straight, and got so tired of reeling them in that they took the hooks off their topwater plugs and just threw them out there to watch them get knocked around. That went on for another couple hours, during which they tied on beer cans, spoons and other misc stuff that all got attacked.

MAKAI
01-11-2008, 05:07 PM
super transitions, just starting to take my fishing video to the next level. Do you do this yourself? Recomend any software, I own an I mac...Thanks.