View Full Version : Hard tops

macojoe
01-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Does anyone know anyone in the Wareham area that build hard tops??

I have a 23 Sea Ox w/a and was going to have a Bimi and enclouser built, but have decided to have a hard top made or the fram and a laced top for now.

Not much bigger then a T top as the cuddy is in center like a CC and it only has to bolt to the cuddy not to the floor. Its not a wide consoe so should be a easy build. Thanks Guys!!

http://syncboard.com/albums/album05/Picture_004_Medium.sized.jpg

This is the old top its all riped and I have junked it!
http://syncboard.com/albums/album05/P0003774.sized.jpg

taJon
01-10-2008, 08:20 AM
There'll be a couple of venders at the boat show. I think there are a few down that way. I looked at some last year and they looked really good, but pricey.

fishsmith
01-10-2008, 08:33 AM
stand by for sticker shock macojoe, there ain't much to em, but when my buddy was in the market they were around around $3k. He ended up building his own.

Van
01-10-2008, 03:44 PM
MJ didn't you consider having the soft stuff remade?

I got a great canvas contact here thats done a few jobs for me.
Super work and very reasonable.

Personally I like NOT having a top over me all the time, (I love having the sun on me) but when its really hot the bimini is great, then when its really cold, the enclosure makes it very comfortable inside even with out the back.

Just wondering........Good Luck

NEXT2NUN
01-10-2008, 05:18 PM
http://www.ttops.com/index.html

There were a couple of guys at the Providence boat show last weekend. Your probably looking at 4-5K with canvas drop downs. I think a new Sunbrella enclosure is under a grand.

macojoe
01-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks everyone!!

Yes Van I had thought about having the soft top replaced, but I don't like the style so it will have to all be redone!
Best price i have found around here with Bimi and 3 sided enclouser is $2500 maybe a hair more after I tell the guy what I want?

So for that cash I thought about a hard top, I am so confused! I see good and bad in both. But I am leaning heavy to the hard top.

If I could get a hard top for $3K I could wait a bit for the enclouser.

I have to make up my mind fast!! I have the soft top guy on hold but he wont last long.

Slipknot
01-10-2008, 07:12 PM
hardtop gives you a place to mount radar up top remember
and enough room and a place for an electronics box

zacs
01-11-2008, 09:40 AM
i agree with slip.

mount antenna, radar, lights, on top.

underneath drop down an e-box.

maybe hang some rocket launchers and a couple of floods on the back.

Then you are stylin'!

keeperreaper
01-11-2008, 09:48 AM
I love my hardtop. Radar , antennae, outriggerer, rocketlauncher spreader lights all up there. I have my FF, VHF, FF2, FM/CD player all hung from it. Gets you out of the sun and out of the rain and fog.

taJon
01-11-2008, 12:39 PM
I love my hardtop. Radar , antennae, outriggerer, rocketlauncher spreader lights all up there. I have my FF, VHF, FF2, FM/CD player all hung from it. Gets you out of the sun and out of the rain and fog.

agreed.

Good luck finding one for 3k. I think they are more than that if I remember correctly. For 5k, you'll get a really nice one.

macojoe
01-11-2008, 01:29 PM
5K is a hair out of range, but just matbe, if I kiss up to the boss I might be able to do something :rolleyes:

Ok I guess I have to get some prices now!

Thanks all!!

taJon
01-11-2008, 02:09 PM
like I said earlier, go to the boat show and see what you can do. Thats where I looked at them last year. Who knows, maybe I don't remember right, but if I do, the 5k gets you everything, HT with Stainless, sweet welds, spreader lights, etc...

striperman36
01-11-2008, 02:20 PM
I had to get a T-Top as I couldn't find a hard top for the Maritime skiff that allowed a 6'5' portly angler with boots on to stand up under it

macojoe
01-12-2008, 01:33 AM
Yes I will be hitting nthe boat show!!

Thanks all! Looks like a hard top but we will see?

Thanks Van for the PM!!

missing link
01-12-2008, 06:57 PM
HEY MJ have you done a search on used tops from boat junk yards ??
After all the carnage mother nature unleashed in parts of our country ,you might luck out , a little elbow grease and shipping cost some places ship to a busniess for ZIP and if so you can ship to where I work , it's worth a chance and there is 2&1/2 months till splash time?
ML Sr.:walk:

afterhours
01-12-2008, 10:25 PM
has a sunbrella soft t top for 10 years- no problems. mounted antenni on roof- just have builder install mounting pads, same goes for electronics box. was half the price of hardtop.

macojoe
01-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks Link I will do a search!!

After hours all the places I have looked on line so far only show a difference of $400 for soft to hard?
I was thinking of going that way and then I can buy a sheet of Starboard and make my own roof for like $150

I am so confused, Why is everything so hard and expensive??

O well to the show on Thursday, and going on a Charter out of Gloucester Next Monday, to kill the winter no fish blues.

Thanks guys!

keeperreaper
01-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Maco Joe,

Just came back from the boat show and there are numerous fabricators there with some of their work and all have portfolios. It might be worth you while to check them out.

macojoe
01-14-2008, 10:02 AM
I hope to be there Thursday!! Thanks

macojoe
01-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks to all that helped!!

I went to the boat show Thursday and there were at least 4 dealers there, No one at one, another that wanted $5K, One that had no idea about there product!! And the last which answered all my questions and gave me a good price was Atlantic Towers. I will have one of there hard tops, with 4 rocket launchers, and spreader lights for $2600. Will be here on there first truck begining of April.

I acpect all you guys to show up and help with the install!! ;):kewl:

taJon
01-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Congrats! what a price too. Thru bolts and you'll be fine. enjoy the shade this year :cool:

macojoe
01-22-2008, 08:25 PM
This is my hard top NOT MY BOAT!! I will get it in April

http://67.225.128.111/gallery/d/5035-3/3043.jpg

zacs
01-23-2008, 09:50 AM
NICE!

You getting any options? rocket launchers, spreader lights, etc???

taJon
01-23-2008, 10:08 AM
that'll be sweet! Looks like you'll be ready for riggers next. then curtains and spreader lights, and launchers and ...........

does it ever really stop? :D

macojoe
01-23-2008, 08:46 PM
NICE!

You getting any options? rocket launchers, spreader lights, etc???

I get free, 4 rocket launchers, radar pad, spreader light mounts, and I get $100 free stuff so I have decided to get 2 extra rocket launchers on the down tubes. for total of 6.
They get $65 each so it will only be $30 for the 2 extra.

They also offer lights for $100, Anchor light $130, Cavas track installed $250.

All I can do myself much cheaper, the canvas track I found online for $39 + ship! They want $250 :poke:

I hope to have a enclouser made for the fall, but wewill see what happens?

keeperreaper
01-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Have those down tube holders push out ward and you have the ability to increase your tuna spread easily while trolling.

Also have them put plates underneath the rocket launcher.

macojoe
01-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Holders will be angled, but what do you mean by Plates under the rocket launchers?

Thanks for your reply!

Fish On
01-31-2008, 10:15 PM
Joe,

A hard top will be agreat addition to your sweet new ride. Can't wait to see the finished pics. By the way I have a great enclosures guy in Lawrence MA. He does great work at a reasonable price. I've had panles replaced and refurbished by him and I love his work. Let me know if you are interested.

FO

keeperreaper
02-01-2008, 10:38 AM
By plates I mean backing plates so the bolts dont pull through the fiberglass. They spread out the force applied to the bolts. Just tell them and they will know what you are talking about. Nothing worse than watching 5 50's blow off the top of the boat. Never happened to me personally but I can only imagine.

Also make sure the rod holders have locking pins inside them. I think most do but just double check.

Team Rock On
02-01-2008, 11:38 AM
http://www.atlantictowers.com/at_sub/photofinder_fr.htm

I had an A towers hard top on my 88 Sea Ox. Do you have the supports down to the bow? I had those moved to the side and then I added 2 angled support bars welded on. Check the welds when you see it, 2 of mine broke in B Bay, 4-6's, and trust me that was the least of our concerns

macojoe
02-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Fish On, Thanks, I will remember!!

Keeper all rod holders are welded on.

TRO I have no front bars, are you saying I better get them?? Tis will be a one piece top all welded. Not a put toghter one.
Looks just like this. THANKS!!

http://67.225.128.111/gallery/d/5035-3/3043.jpg

keeperreaper
02-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Maco joe I'd suggest having pipes come down to the forward section some how. All that bouncing and the weight of the rocket launcher and rods puts a lot of stress on the fasteners and welds. It will stiffen up the top significantly and add years of service to the top.

Plus on calm days you can climb up and view the water looking for splashes and look at your spread.

macojoe
02-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks Keeper I will look into it!! And as far as getting up on top, This 320# Fat A$$ will never be up there!! :shocked: