DISGUSTING!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAbhE-tqNNc

UserRemoved1
01-10-2008, 06:40 PM
makes me SICK watching that

:yak6::yak6::yak6::yak6::yak6::yak6::yak6:

plankton
01-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Are those guys actually promoting themselves with that??? I can't believe that sort of thing is still allowed, absolutely unbelievable?!!

tattoobob
01-10-2008, 06:58 PM
That just made me sick to my stomach, I can't believe that is aloud

BassDawg
01-10-2008, 07:11 PM
That is the most disgusting display of the

RAPING of our RESOURCE/FISHERY that i've ever witnessed.

These are the things that gives PETA and the rest of the tree-hugging universe ALL the ammunition that they need.

I think I'll go PUKE, now! How can those schlubs sleep at night?

Duke41
01-10-2008, 07:17 PM
w th fuuuuuuu

Tagger
01-10-2008, 07:23 PM
I'd like to seal club them guys ... right on that beach .. :gorez:
totally P's me off ...

Pt.JudeJoe
01-10-2008, 07:30 PM
This just in from the SNESA email. That's a whole lotta fish comin out of the water.

this is what is going on in North Carolina right now.
Capt. Jim White

Nebe
01-10-2008, 07:34 PM
yeah, thats a bummer to watch, but...add up all the members here and add up the catches in a night from the members who were out fishing and its about the same as that haul. Who is worse??

The stripers belong to everyone not just recreational anglers.

ilovetwofish
01-10-2008, 07:39 PM
That makes me sick, its just wrong , somebody needs to cut all those nets.

spence
01-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Are those guys actually promoting themselves with that???
I'd wager the author of the video isn't an advocate for their actions.

-spence

Raider Ronnie
01-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Draggers do worse in our waters east of Chatham in the fall.

BassDawg
01-10-2008, 08:18 PM
yeah, thats a bummer to watch, but...add up all the members here and add up the catches in a night from the members who were out fishing and its about the same as that haul. Who is worse??

While that may be true from a Catch perspective,

our release ratio is quite another factor and a huge part of NE surfcasting.

Also, the majority of our NE kill is NOT dinks. There was a SIGNIFICANT number of shoolies in that haul. A DISGUSTING number of teeny fish that will never become Big Gurls.

I've no problem with the commershes taking their allotted amount,

but that sheeeet cain't be legal, so many rats, huh Nebe!??

JohnR
01-10-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm merging this with the other thread on this subject.

Looks like we have a new video to show on Truck Seining instead of the one on Long Island ten years ago. Painful to watch, eh?

bloocrab
01-10-2008, 08:29 PM

"Who is worse??"

Are you kidding me???
Dude, you definately like to stir the pot.

UserRemoved1
01-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Sure is John. That was yesterday too. What's striper a pound down there right now. That guys truck ain't big nuff to hold that many fish either.

I'm merging this with the other thread on this subject.

Looks like we have a new video to show on Truck Seining instead of the one on Long Island ten years ago. Painful to watch, eh?

basswipe
01-10-2008, 09:22 PM
MY GOD!!!

That simply is horrifying.

Comparing us to that is silly.None of us individually or as a whole(meaning sb.com members) will ever kill that many fish in a lifetime,especially that many undersized fish.

junkmansj
01-10-2008, 10:45 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tAbhE-tqNNc

teaser
01-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Yeah ... I call those guys fishermen all right, and a few more names that shouldn't be said here because it's a family oriented site.

Grampy
01-11-2008, 06:18 AM
As posted on You Tube.

Grampy
01-11-2008, 06:29 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tAbhE-tqNNc

I missed seeing your thread otherwise I wouldn't have posted it again.

MrHunters
01-11-2008, 06:32 AM
that can't be legal, even during the comercial season.

Flaptail
01-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Though it may seem carnage and a blow to the Striped Bass population, in three days these guys could never ever come close to the carnage imposed on bass by the recreational sector of the striped bass fishery along the easterb seaboard.

For example, one only had to sit by the Cape Cod Canal's banks during herring season to see and count all the fish going across Rt. 6 or into trunks and truck bed coolers. Then multiply that by the several thousand miles of Atlantic coastline and millions of fisherman.

Though abhorant, the numbers in this video don't come close.

Raven
01-11-2008, 07:34 AM
just how big the population is

and how large it must remain

to sustain itself

Hooper
01-11-2008, 08:25 AM
And yet the rod and reel guys here in Mass catch hell for their fishery, by and large a very selective fishery with regard to size limits. If all commercial fishing were forced to use circle hook and handline we might just have sustainable fisheries...

RIROCKHOUND
01-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Draggers do worse in our waters east of Chatham in the fall.

And then get shoveled over the side in a lot of cases to rot b/c the season is closed.

Nobody likes seeing sausage made, but right now it is legal... change the system, change the tactics.....

Slipknot
01-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Can I do that to the seals on the Cape?

Back Beach
01-11-2008, 09:02 AM

Couldn't agree more.

Typical "shock" video where everyone gets all up in arms without ever considering the big picture, or better yet, the facts.

Brother Brian
01-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Change the law. Being a fish that migrates presents a tough challenge state to state. Whatever your opinion, it's legal. Whether by dribs and drabs or one fell swoop makes no difference to the final total and if reported landings are to be believed, Recs are definately the leaders over all. Slot limits, trophy tags, FDA inspection, restricting practices? All open options.
Again, change the law.

Goose
01-11-2008, 10:03 AM
The posting of that video is like driving around with Bambi on the hood, common sense says don't do it. How bout posting the daily stat sheet from fish house's:smash: people who video that crap is asking for it.

zimmy
01-11-2008, 10:03 AM
I can't see the video on this computer and I am sure it would disgust me... However, I also agree that the commercial harvest pails in comparison to the rec. harvest in terms of #'s of stripers.

In 1999 the rec harvest was 6000 metric tons and the commercial harvest 3000 metric tons. In 2005 the rec harvest was 11,900 metric tons and the commercial harvest was still 3000 metric tons.

DZ
01-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Probably comparable to a good day on upper Narragansett Bay this past June when the menhaden blitz was going on.
The seiners have a quota - when they fill it it's over for them. I used to get upset over this but not anymore.
DZ

zacs
01-11-2008, 10:30 AM
are all of the guys freaking out opposed to all commercial fishing?

This doesn't bother me at all. very slow , very inefficient.

I would wager that the take in this three day season is a drop in the bucket compared to the Mass. comm season.

And neither of those are even on the same chart if you start comparing to what mid-water trawlers are doing to other species.

But I guess only us rec.'s are allowed to eat striped bass....

THINK

Mike P
01-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Though it may seem carnage and a blow to the Striped Bass population, in three days these guys could never ever come close to the carnage imposed on bass by the recreational sector of the striped bass fishery along the easterb seaboard.

For example, one only had to sit by the Cape Cod Canal's banks during herring season to see and count all the fish going across Rt. 6 or into trunks and truck bed coolers. Then multiply that by the several thousand miles of Atlantic coastline and millions of fisherman.

Though abhorant, the numbers in this video don't come close.

It's a 3 day season down there. All of the fish kept have to be tagged. Their quota is a little more than half of Mass' quota. There are commercial pinhookers up here who can put 800 pounds or more in the boat in one day. Multiply that by a full season. The discards left on the beach are troubling, but what about our release mortality up here, rec and comm alike? Some fish eat a broken off loaded pogy that was used to yo-yo. Some obviously survive and grow--others die. What's the percentage either way? How many comms and recs drift live eels, and let the fish run for a 10 count before setting up on it. How many of those fish wind up gut hooked? Fish under 34" will eat an eel, and can't be kept commercially. Some of them die after taking an eel, or another live bait, all the way down. When you're fishing for the dollar, even as a pinhooker, you often don't spend the time to properly release a short fish, as time is money. How many pinhookers cull? It's illegal, but are you all so naive to think that a guy will release a 30 pounder instead of dumping a 35" fish already dead in the box, when the one he just caught is worth twice the money?

It's an ugly method, I'll grant you that. How much cleaner are our hands?

Nebe
01-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Couldn't agree more.

Typical "shock" video where everyone gets all up in arms without ever considering the big picture, or better yet, the facts.

Thank you.

and to reply to bassdawg, If i had my way we would only be allowed to keep schoolies and fish over 40 lbs..

schoolies are good because there are more males in the bunch.
over 40 is good because they have had dozens of opportunities to spawn.

EarnedStripes44
01-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Yea, and damn river's don't help much either.

leptar
01-11-2008, 10:55 AM
FYI...
28" limit and 50 fish total .......more in HTML
(http://www.ncfisheries.net/procs/procs2k8/FF-1-2008.html)
NC rules and regulations regarding commercial beach seining...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are the penalties for those that break the commercial laws.... in PDF (http://www.nccourts.org/Forms/Documents/991.pdf)

IMHO it's a bloody joke...

riverrat2
01-11-2008, 12:04 PM
How come pictures like this don't get people outraged. More fish are most likely killed and for what? A picture on the wall and to feed the neighbors. Although i do agree, filming anytype of commercial fishing especially of the beloved striped bass should be a no no, gets everyones panties all up in a bunch

scottw
01-11-2008, 12:47 PM
wasn't there a truck commercial a while back where the guy was fishing from his pickup truck and landed his fish by driving up the beach with the rod hanging off of the back of his truck hauling the beast out of the water? maybe it was a beer commercial, this is the exact polar opposite of "skishing", a brand new extreme sport, "liquored-up hillbillie pickup truck fishing"....don't they have piping plovers in NC ?

JoeP
01-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Probably comparable to a good day on upper Narragansett Bay this past June when the menhaden blitz was going on.

DZ

DZ-

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the video - probably similar kills when the pogies have been so concentrated in our own Bay the past couple years.

Tagger
01-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Wish they would make the law the same right up the whole striper coast .. I didn't keep 1 fish this year . Makes me mad our conservation effort lining that guys pockets . I'm sure this video is just the tip of the iceburg ..

The Dad Fisherman
01-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Stupid Question....but...How do they know what the Recreational guys takes are on a season. I keep a couple and never fill out paper work or talk to anyone.

How can they say how one season the Recs took this many pounds and the next season they took that many pounds....I really am curious as to how they arrive at the numbers

teaser
01-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Stupid Question....but...How do they know what the Recreational guys takes are on a season. I keep a couple and never fill out paper work or talk to anyone.

How can they say how one season the Recs took this many pounds and the next season they took that many pounds....I really am curious as to how they arrive at the numbers

They don't know but they need someone to blame and guess what? We're the someone's!

zimmy
01-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Well, I've seen the video and I guess my overall perspective has changed over the years. 10 years ago this would have definately made me sick. Now I just look at it as a small scale commercial fishery by locals who make some of their living the way its been done for generations down there. I was actually suprised at how it didn't bother me at all. It is nothing compared to the volume in the haul a salmon boat takes. Nothing like the impact of shrimp fishery due to its bi-catch rate. Nothing compared to the rec. harvest on stripers over a season. The damage from deep sea dredgers... shark finners... there is an enormous amount of problems I have with fisheries, but I honestly am not exactly sure what is so disturbing about these videos. People that don't fish like to eat stripers. They have to be caught and the methods in the video do not seem like an unacceptable way to catch em... I'll watch em again and see if I missed something...

zimmy
01-11-2008, 05:04 PM
I just read the regs. It is... annoying that the min. is 28" and that there were alot of dead shorts in there, but that is how fisheries work. It would be great if all netters were required to keep everything in the catch and count it toward the total, but I don't see that happenng. For perspective, each 1 lb of shrimp results in 10lbs of dead bicatch. I don't think the striper netting in the videos is anywhere close to that.

Bill L
01-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Take all the fish from the striper cup (clubs, pins, weekly), pile them up on the beach, and whats the difference?

riverrat55
01-11-2008, 07:55 PM
IS THAT EXTREME RED NECK FISHING OR WHAT???
SICK!!!!!!!!!!

01-11-2008, 08:51 PM
You know living here in this area about 30-miles as the birds fly from this beach I can say that the fisheries management in NC is by far the worst I have ever seen. This area thrives on commercial fishermen and most of the politicians have roots back to it so whatever they want goes.

Jenn
01-12-2008, 11:55 AM
I wont claim to know the statistics because I dont but I honestly dont see how 3 days a year of this is any worse than THOUSANDS of rec fisherman along the east coast year long???

I think there are a lot of people here that need to get over their holyer than thou attitudes over killing stripers.

Pt.JudeJoe
01-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Here is a reply to a letter written about this to the NC environment people :

I got this message from the NCDFM:
Dear Mr. Schlesinger:

Thank you for your e-mail. The footage on the Youtube video appears
to be the commercial striped bass beach seine fishery that was opened
on Jan. 8, 9 and 10 and primarily takes place in Dare and Currituck
counties and yes, it is legal. Each beach seine operation is allowed
to keep 50 striped bass per day. The entire commercial striped bass
ocean quota is 480,480 pounds per year, divided by the beach seine,
gill net and trawl fisheries. This quota is set by the Atlantic
States Marine Fisheries Commission. The level of the quota is set to
allow the fishery to be sustainable

The recreational season in the ocean for striped bass is year round,
and anglers are allowed 2 fish per day at a 28" minimum. In 2006,
recreational fishermen landed approximately 2,112,024 pounds of
striped bass from the ocean.

As you can see, both user groups have an impact on the fishery, but as
I said earlier, harvest levels and methods are managed so the stock
will be sustainable.

Sincerely,
Nancy Fish

Raven
01-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Nancy FISH :jester:

Raven
01-12-2008, 12:26 PM

guess seems to be the operative word

Blitzseeker
01-12-2008, 12:32 PM
My only problem with it is the method, not the numbers. It is the striper equivalent of longlining, which is an indiscriminent and wasteful method of fishing that kills lots of things other than what is targeted and legal, to no purpose.

If the season is open the season is open, but no need to whack dozens of shorts in the process of getting your fish.

On a totally different point....how sick is that that they can throw a line like that in and have a fish on every hook, many that are sizable, from shore? Fishing must have been sick down there.