View Full Version : Favorite Braid for Bucktail Jigging

cow tamer
01-12-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm looking to use braid for bucktail jigging. Looking for something that cuts the water and is abrasion resistant. I've heard a lot about fireline, but it seems too thick. Sufix doesn't have the breaking strength of fireline. Daiwa has come out with a new 8 strand. And then there's spiderwire and powerpro.

hyefisherman2
01-12-2008, 09:50 AM
cortland!!!

and wait till mike p chimes in he has some stories to share/demonstrate the strength of this braid. dont ya mike? :think:

Vogt
01-12-2008, 09:54 AM
I would go with fireline, it really is great. You'll get over the strange feel after using it a few times. I've had big fish rub fireline all over boulders & pilings, with no problems. I dare power-pro to do that.

mackenzie
01-12-2008, 10:13 AM
The latest issue of The Fisherman is talking up Stren Microfuse.

t.orlando
01-12-2008, 10:41 AM
PwerPro for me, 30-65#. Dragged many fish around rocks with it.

cow tamer
01-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Fireline is almost the same diameter as mono. So why change from mono?

RIROCKHOUND
01-12-2008, 11:07 AM
PwerPro for me, 30-65#. Dragged many fish around rocks with it.
I'll second that.
Spiderwire Stealth is a close second for me...

Mike P
01-12-2008, 11:26 AM
cortland!!!

and wait till mike p chimes in he has some stories to share/demonstrate the strength of this braid. dont ya mike? :think:

One of my friends got hung on a lobster trap, using 50# Cortland Master Braid. He broke the trap apart before the line broke. He also straightened a 7/0 Mustad jig hook on a fish.

Master Braid is strong stuff, but thicker than other braids of equal pound test.

I also like Berkely Big Game braid. It seems to hold up pretty well to bridge abutments ;) I've used it now for two seasons, and I have nothing negative to say about it. Great line and priced the same as Power Pro.

Mike P
01-12-2008, 11:29 AM

Because 20# mono will break at around 24#s of pull.

20# Fireline will break at over 50# of pull.

I jigged with mono for over 30 years, until I switched to braid. I'll never go back. Strength is a bonus--the sensitivity is what counts. Jigging with mono is like making love with a double thick condom.

Swimmer
01-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Because 20# mono will break at around 24#s of pull.

20# Fireline will break at over 50# of pull.

:btu:Jigging with mono is like making love with a double thick condom.

Love braid, power pro to be exact. Bought a new sustain last year and the shop owner loaded it with Cortland. Never did use it last year but this spring i'll give it a go. I just love the feel and sensitivity of braid (pp).

Vogt
01-12-2008, 11:48 AM

30lb fireline is the diameter of 12lb mono.

Pete F.
01-12-2008, 12:19 PM
1. I can feel the difference, you feel everything thru the line.
2. It works on 700 series Penns, unlike PowerPro or other braids
3. If it's on a reel you don't use a lot, you won't need to replace it just because it is last years line and weakened by UV and oxidation.

hyefisherman2
01-12-2008, 11:29 PM
those are the stories im talking about mike. :)

Mike P
01-13-2008, 12:18 AM
30lb fireline is the diameter of 12lb mono.

So Berkley claims. It's nowhere near as thin as 12# mono--more like 17-20# mono.

plankton
01-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Master Braid is strong stuff, but thicker than other braids of equal pound test.

I also like Berkely Big Game braid.

Is the Master Braid about the same thickness as the older green Spectron? How does the Berkely compare, is it thinner like Power Pro or Stealth?

Mike P
01-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Big Game is thinner, and Master Braid is almost the same as Spectron. It's rounder and has a smoother finish than Spectron.

Mr. Sandman
01-14-2008, 08:02 AM
It is hard to keep up. We need a spreadsheet comparing all the details of all the braids out there...

HEY! all you wannabe authors...do a comparative article of all the braids of the same # test and send it in to the fishermen. Try and make it as scientific as possible.

The problem with the market now is there are so many brands and types of braid it is hard for the angler to know which is right for him. The fact there everyone and their mother now offers a braid line should tells us something already.

BassDawg
01-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Anybody seen the new Daiwa Braid product?

Supposed to be the new and improved shiznit of Braided Line, the one to judge all others by, according to SWS................................

I used PowerPro at first, then graduated to 30# Fireline last year with no complaints. The Edge has an interesting experiment within their video vault regarding the breaking strengths of braid.....................

The Iron One and a few of the other surfcrazies at The Edge swear by 55# Suffix when hunting the trophies that frequent the rocks of NPT. As for jigging, this will be me first season to add this discipline to my repetoire...................soooooooooo, thanks for the heads up on the braid vs mono Mike P. Who carries the Master Braid in MA? I'll give it a shot on my 704Z this year when "gettin' jiggy with it!"

Saltheart
01-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Braids is better than mono in the canal. I like 50 Lb Spectron on my BG7000CL but will have to look at the master braid Mike P has mentioned. Haven't tried it yet.

My experience has been that truly braided braid is better than the spun or fused braids (or whatever they call it). My big complaint with the fused lines is that in an overrun , you can create a weak spot that will fail later. In the truly braided lines , it either breaks or its fine , no hidden damage waiting to bite you. Also , just a little heavier line seesm to make a big difference. for example , the 50 LB Whiplash would hide damage while the 65 LB didn't appear to.

Overall , i want the thickest line that will get about 250 to 300 yards on my reel. More material (as in hicker) means more wear resistance IMO>

wheresmy50
01-14-2008, 09:19 AM
I've used Stren Superbraid, Fireline, Powerpro, and now Sufix. So far I like Sufix the best, but I see why some people in some situations like Fireline. Sufix is a lot thinner than Fireline, so for jigging, you'd be able to get deeper with the same weight.

I've used Sufix to pull some big fish through boulder fields and never had a problem, but admittedly if you're only concern is abraision, you'd be better off with mono. You can see any damage on Sufix and there does seem to be a linear relationship between the amount of line cut and the remaining strength. I had some 65 that was cut about half way through, and it tested out at 32 pounds.

The nice thing about jigs is that you don't need to worry about balancing the drag against the holding ability of your hooks, like you would with a plug & trebles. That's my biggest problem with braid.

Mike P
01-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Red Top carries Cortland Master Braid, and Big Game braid.

Mike carries 300 yard spools of Big Game.

Goose
01-14-2008, 11:31 AM
I been using stren super braid the last 3 years and luv it. The true braid qualities make super braid friendly on the tackle and handling. The chit is ridiculously strong, but after reading up on some of the reports I'm definitely gonna try sufix. For a while I had the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' mentality using BG mono or PP...not necessarily a good thing. Thanxs CH

striperman36
01-14-2008, 01:45 PM
I love using braid. But I hate when it digs in on a conventional. Anyway to keep this from happening less?

I find this happens with lighter weight setups. 1.5 oz and less, when I am cast for like bones and albies.

Not an issue with larger lures with more drag.

BassDawg
01-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks Mike P, et al

Message received,

Sea ya at the Shows

zimmy
01-15-2008, 10:00 AM
I was talking to a guy I fish with about sufix this fall. He said he had it on his saltiga last year and disliked it enough that he took it off... Not sure why as that was enough for me at the time. Anyone have opinion on its uses on spinner vs conven. I am always looking for the most abrasion resistant for my 7000cl to fight those freakin abutments.

Nebe
01-15-2008, 10:07 AM
cortland master braid gets my vote

NIB
01-15-2008, 10:26 AM
I use 20 and 30 lb fireline.30 lb for the canal.It's not the thinest which hurts casting distance..Been using it for For 13 yrs since I witnessed a guy in the Salmon river winchin 20 lb fish back against the current while he was standin on one side of a concrete train trestle an the fish was around the other side.IMO it has the best abrasion resistance..I Know what it does how it reacts.I have tried a few others.Lost a good fish on the 50lb berkley whiplash before I could blink.Tried the cheaper power pro during the mysterious break-off period. I am done learning.I don't need any new stuff.

wheresmy50
01-15-2008, 12:06 PM
I was talking to a guy I fish with about sufix this fall. He said he had it on his saltiga last year and disliked it enough that he took it off... Not sure why as that was enough for me at the time. Anyone have opinion on its uses on spinner vs conven. I am always looking for the most abrasion resistant for my 7000cl to fight those freakin abutments.

I use it on both. I'm not saying Sufix is perfect - I do get the occasional wind knot if I don't periodically reel in with some resistance on the line. It seems to have a tighter braid than powerpro, and I don't get as many breakoffs with convench where the line digs into the side of the spool and breaks with no visible backlash. I had that all the time with Powerpro.

The end-all braid has yet to be invented - little low-load stretch with more at higher loading, abraision resistant, and thin.

triton8273
01-25-2008, 11:41 AM
If your using spinning gear go with fire line, but if your using small baitcasters use berkley biggame braid.