View Full Version : Lures???

MountainBreeze
09-30-2002, 07:45 AM
Can you folks recommend some lures (spoons, jigs, poppers, ...) for both striper and blue fishing? (I don't mean a lure you can use for both species - unless there is such a product.)

I only have a Kastmaster, one spoon and a couple poppers for blues and I'd like to add a few more for blues and "stock up" for stripers.

Name, length, weight, color, ... would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Oh, and, no leader for stipers right? Only blues.?.?

Thanks very much!!!

Regards,
Rob
rob@cyclingconcepts.com

Scotch Bonnet
09-30-2002, 08:51 AM
For Bluefish a Roberts Ranger is great. Get the heaviest your rod can handle. For Bass get a bunch of Bucktail jigs in various sizes and some pork rind or plastic curlytails. I never use wire leaders, always 50# mono for bass or blues. These are my goto lures for each species.

jeffsod
09-30-2002, 11:26 AM
Boy that is a loaded question since there is so much to chose from. But here are a couple I always keep on hand:

Gibb's Polaris Popper 2oz White

Mambo Minnow 7inch All Black or Black & Purple

Yo Zuri 5" Mag Darter in Olive or Black

And if you fish the Cape Beaches Sluggos 6" Alewife, Arkansas Shiner and Bubble Gum seem to be the favorites. I rig them on 3/4 oz Kalin Bullet head jigs but you may need more or less weight based on water depth and current.

Oh and did I say Sluggos, yup worth mentioning twice.

jeffsod
09-30-2002, 11:37 AM
Oh and those Mambo Minnows you can substitute Bombers in same. Also yellow good to have on full moon nights.

Mr. Sandman
09-30-2002, 12:35 PM
needle fish (various colors) (I like Habs and super strike)
yo-zuri minnows/ rebel like minnows (the biggest and heavy as you can find)
yo-zuri mag darter
gibbs: bottle plug and polaris popper
Roberts... the longest casting plug there is. (catches fish too)
a couple rubba's
rig up some droppers

Then, put all these in a plug bag . Then, rig up for live eels and go catch fish.

Van
09-30-2002, 01:06 PM
Scotch:

How do you use the bucktails?

I recently got a few, but have not used them.

Bounce em' off the bottom? Jig ? What ??

Thanx. V

Scotch Bonnet
09-30-2002, 02:49 PM
Van, I use them mainly off the Breachways but in the boat I don't use them as much. If I come across a Bass blitz thats what I'll throw at them. They have alot of advantages- single hook, cast far, sink fast and look real. IMO they work best in a strong current worked over the bottom. Next time you see a good blitz, throw the bucktail with pork rind into the fray and hang on;)

Bliz
09-30-2002, 03:15 PM
Try the new Storm Bait Shads!...
The Stripers down at the canal have been killing these lures!

I have also been getting blues on them as well!

Simply cast & retrieve very slowly! ... they're great!

gilligan
09-30-2002, 05:05 PM
had a good day w/ them today. 9 total 2 keepers all released within 2 hours

Bliz
10-01-2002, 06:34 AM
That's Great!...

Tis the season!...

I really do think these baits are a hot item for anyone fishing the bunker filled areas around New England!