View Full Version : Bonus Pichney

numbskull
01-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Here's an unusual one. Just to drive Paul insane.
Pichney Bootleg
5.75" 2.2oz
Subtle differences from the surface swimmer and conrad. See if you can find them.
Haven't swum one but looks like an intermediate depth plug.
Thanks to BiteMe for the loan.

PNG
01-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Have you seen his wall of honor? WoW.:shocked:

NIB
01-18-2008, 07:13 AM
Can U post a pic of the plug.
Looks like a slightly smaller danny.Weight an fat spot just back of center.
Tough to tell on lip placement an line tie but there does not look to be anything out of the ordinary in that department.

tobias
01-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Lightened the picture up a bit.

Rockfish9
01-18-2008, 08:47 AM
I see the through wire is on center and not offcenter as with a traditinal "danny"

ProfessorM
01-18-2008, 09:46 AM
If I had to guess the lip is on center pretty much and the wire below a little. Plug is cock eye in the x ray i think as I see too much of the bottom of the lip.
Differences ah, like Tony said the fat part of the plug is back of center and a single hook on back maybe. Same large, long , thru wire belly weight like the others. Oh yeah hook protectors. Thanks G., it is a short drive

Tagger
01-18-2008, 03:31 PM
I see wire center and lip higher much like a conrad .. angle of pic may be causing an allusion .

ProfessorM
01-18-2008, 05:28 PM
I also see a growth near the belly weight that he should definitely have checked out by a doctor

Backbeach Jake
01-18-2008, 05:33 PM
guessing by the part of the lip that is inside the plug, I'd say that the plug's belly is rolled slightly toward the viewer. Makes it difficult to tell, but my guess is a center lipslot.

numbskull
01-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Can U post a pic of the plug.
Looks like a slightly smaller danny.Weight an fat spot just back of center.
Tough to tell on lip placement an line tie but there does not look to be anything out of the ordinary in that department.

Many moons make NIB-man and Tagger-man very wise chiefs. They smart like fox with hard-on. They see 'em very small details and like 'em inflatable squaws, but that be another story. Here more picture. Both plugs weigh about 2.2oz

numbskull
01-18-2008, 05:52 PM
One more picture for Great Tagger-man unwashed chief of big Brockton tribe who smell like bear eating cauliflower but is good guy to ho plug from at pow wow if you can hold your breath very long time

Pete F.
01-18-2008, 06:03 PM
White is danny
other is surface danny

ProfessorM
01-18-2008, 06:41 PM
looks like I got more lips to make. Who made blue one? You just score them?

NIB
01-18-2008, 07:11 PM
U funny man chief Spokeshave.U must be spendum heepem time in medicine man teepee..Or u hangin out with Brave Polish Warrior Chief Headintheclouds.Sniffin many butt flares.
The higher line tie make it go down.Add roll.Ok for subtle paint tones.Roll is inherent in a good danny's design.Thats why I like no eyes an mostly solid paint schemes.Been over this a bijillion moons..lower line tie swim on top like serpent.

Thats just a educated guess.I could be Chief Wrongbow.
Hard to tell it looks like the one with the higher line tie has a slightly shorter lower lip.Thats to quite the -side to side down some..IMO.
How come he bends most the lips cept the small danny's

JFigliuolo
01-18-2008, 08:31 PM
U funny man chief Spokeshave.U must be spendum heepem time in medicine man teepee..Or u hangin out with Brave Polish Warrior Chief Headintheclouds.Sniffin many butt flares.
The higher line tie make it go down.Add roll.Ok for subtle paint tones.Roll is inherent in a good danny's design.Thats why I like no eyes an mostly solid paint schemes.Been over this a bijillion moons..lower line tie swim on top like serpent.

Thats just a educated guess.I could be Chief Wrongbow.
Hard to tell it looks like the one with the higher line tie has a slightly shorter lower lip.Thats to quite the -side to side down some..IMO.
How come he bends most the lips cept the small danny's

I'm a tenderfoot here... but wouldn't a higher line tie remove some roll? I've noticed that in my dannys, the lower the tie, the more roll i seem to get. All other things kept constant.
:huh:

Tagger
01-18-2008, 08:46 PM
great chief Scratch&Sniff of Foulmouth.. have you swam those 2 Dannys .. I think the white one is most comonly made by most ..

Tagger
01-18-2008, 08:48 PM
sorry ... white is a fat arse danny ... made for casting ???

Pete F.
01-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Look at Bassdozers site you can figure it out

numbskull
01-18-2008, 10:04 PM
The blue one is the common surface swimmer. Pichney-Lupo-BM-Gibbs- (and apparently Alou as well?) all build/built it. The white one is a "bootleg" Pichney (what Pichney called it I don't know). It looks to be a cross between a Conrad and surface swimmer. The lip slot is above center, the line tie only slightly below center, the lip has a longer vertical section. The head is narrower and the body widest further back, the weight moved back to float it level and deeper than the surface swimmer (same weight, less wood). Because of the high line tie it will likely go deeper, because of the shape and rearward weight it should cast better. I'll probably build one tomorrow and see what it does. Bassdozer's article claims it was a medium diver and useful from beaches and in "medium flows".

Flaptail
01-19-2008, 06:45 AM
I actually made a a couple of those but modified them for one belly hook. They swim great and go down several feet in fast water. Unfortunately I had paint adhesion problems on that batch. Gibbs actually made a version too as an experiment.

In the picture is the Gibbs version, mine and a blank I have left and for comparison a Rainbow Lupo medium Danny.

numbskull
01-19-2008, 07:05 AM
I'm a tenderfoot here... but wouldn't a higher line tie remove some roll? I've noticed that in my dannys, the lower the tie, the more roll i seem to get. All other things kept constant.
:huh:

That is my experience also.

NIB
01-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Ok,I knew I had something backwards..

mrstriper
01-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Is that gibbs danny a repaint??

ProfessorM
01-19-2008, 09:34 AM
would you say he used conrad lips on that george. Look very similar.

numbskull
01-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Is that gibbs danny a repaint??

I don't think so, but it certainly is a crude one and the collector who had it didn't seem too upset about parting with it. I should know better than to trade with a pro. Served its purpose, however, so I'm happy.

numbskull
01-19-2008, 09:46 AM
would you say he used conrad lips on that george. Look very similar.

No, Paul, the lip actually looks like a standard surface swimmer size that was bent with a slightly longer vertical and has the wire slot higher. It is .90 wide/vertical is .56/horizontal is .63 +/- (wire hole .23 down). It is mounted above center approx 1/16". The setup of the lip is the same as a conrad, however. I borrowed the plug from Biteme and if you ask he probably would be OK with me lateralling it to you before he gets it back.

ProfessorM
01-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Ah much thinner, width wise. I will talk to Jim, Thank you G.

Flaptail
01-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Many moons make NIB-man and Tagger-man very wise chiefs. They smart like fox with hard-on. They see 'em very small details and like 'em inflatable squaws, but that be another story. Here more picture. Both plugs weigh about 2.2oz

Gibbs never used anything but 00 buck shot for belly weights in any of thier danny plugs. The blue one's paint matches my Pichneys in that color perfectly.

The 00 would have shown in the x-ray even with filler.