View Full Version : A question for the plugbuiders.

ilovetwofish
01-18-2008, 12:59 PM
I am going to the Feb 9 show with some friends in newport and have a little extra cash.I dont usually spend alot of money on a plug but I need to restock my bags and here alot of good things about custom plugs.What i'm looking for are plugs that have distance,action, productivity and durabilty (I know so isn't everyone).I fish with a 10 foot rod 50 pound powerpro.If you guys could let me know wich plugs from each of you that would work the best and who will be at the show.

Thanks seeya at the show.

bart
01-18-2008, 01:06 PM
3.5oz plugcaster pencils should fit the bill

The Dad Fisherman
01-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Distance - Pencils, Polaris Poppers, Casting Swimmers, Needles

Action - Darters

Productivity - Any of them but Mine, seriously it ain't the lure thats productive its the Guy using it. (that's This years Epiphany :D)

Durability - all the manufacturers pretty much make a good solid plug that will last.

fishbones
01-18-2008, 01:18 PM
At the show, talk to the builders about their plugs and which ones work for particular situations. A lot depends on when, where and how you fish. The sponsors from this site are very helpful and will steer you in the right direction.

ilovetwofish
01-19-2008, 06:42 AM
whats your best all around lure.

afterhours
01-19-2008, 07:46 AM
At the show, talk to the builders about their plugs and which ones work for particular situations. A lot depends on when, where and how you fish. The sponsors from this site are very helpful and will steer you in the right direction.

good advice!

Nebe
01-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Salties plugs are the best value when it comes to wood lures. They catch like crazy, the paint system he uses is tough as nails, and the lures are designed right.. they are all i ever use now TO CATCH FISH.. I have more plugs to collect admire and swap, but salty's get the job done. Thats who I am going to hit up for some plugs when i go to the show... last year i left with tons of needles from him.

NIB
01-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Salties plugs are the best value when it comes to wood lures. They catch like crazy, the paint system he uses is tough as nails, and the lures are designed right.. they are all i ever use now TO CATCH FISH.. I have more plugs to collect admire and swap, but salty's get the job done. Thats who I am going to hit up for some plugs when i go to the show... last year i left with tons of needles from him.

Remind me to give ya a tissue next time I see ya..

Gunpowder
01-19-2008, 06:12 PM
good advice!

i.e. talk to don! :think:

plankton
01-19-2008, 07:05 PM

I'll second that!

stripercrazy
01-19-2008, 07:47 PM
look at what you need first and then check out the top builders...afterhours,salty,tatoo...cowboys are great plugs and everyone wants one, funny I don't see alot of people fish them..I allway have a bottle plug and a darter in the bag..a ryan smith peanut can be fished almost anywhere

Nebe
01-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Remind me to give ya a tissue next time I see ya..

your living in the past NIB.. forget anything you know or heard about scotts plugs from years ago. peeling paint, eyes falling out. I wasnt too happy... the plugs he's making today blow away anything in its price point... I think you should SWALLOW your pride and check them out for yourself. That way you wont need a friggin tissue. :p

NIB
01-20-2008, 07:50 AM
U have been telling me this for a few yrs now..
Since then I have put together quite a selection of his plugs.I don't buy em at the shows as I can get em from tackle shops.I save the money at the shows for the stuff that is not so readily available here in NJ..Plus I go to his booth an he wants to talk my ear off..:D
I have quite a few nice sized NJ fish on the sherrif.More than most users.Maybe more than all of em.It certainly is a usefull plug.I think it needs a little tweeking..There are times I don't use it.If I remember right The front treble seems to foul on the fish during the battle...Not sure if it's from the hook spacing as 4" between the front hook and rear hook is more than most. Or if it's the length of the lure.Could be the combination of both.I get good fish on the rear hook(thats right they bite the rear hook) an it seems to foul hook em often with the front hook.Now I have a 30 lber I have to fight from under her chin.It gets too hard to winch em in.Trust me I keep the pressure on em It just seems to happen more with the Sherrif.It certainly raises em well.I think the tail section of it the last 1.5" could have some more taper to make it fly better.It could also be around 8 inches..instead of almost 9"s..Then it wouldn't really be the sherrif now would it..:D
I am advocate of the pencil with the eye in the rear.It's the part that stay's in the water.When it's flailing all around it looks like the front of a bunker to the bass.IMO...
I like to think I invented that..Probably done as a squid thing well before my time.I have a different take on it..The finish is good yes they do hold up well. I also like his needles.I took one down an took some lead out this fall an did well with it in NJ..When I needed something slightly lighter.
Yes they are usefull plugs that do hold up well...

NIB
01-20-2008, 07:59 AM
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=25384&stc=1&d=1200833826

Here is the sherrif I had rewired and added a larger 5/0 6x rear treble..

NIB
01-20-2008, 08:10 AM
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=25385&stc=1&d=1200841336

Here's a pic from 05' of Dave Anderson's pencil with a few gorrila's in the mist..
I forget the name of his company.I got that plug at the mass bass show.
What a day that was..I kill em like that anymore.

numbskull
01-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Surf Asylum......but Tony, I thought that was your address.

NIB
01-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Close, my addy is Surf Assylum..

NIB
01-20-2008, 10:24 AM
In keeping true to form...
Attention All plug Builders.I have figured out the camera on the internet thing.I can put put shameless pics up with big bass an Ur Plug.This also goes for Mr.Lamiglas an Mr.Van Staal,Mr.Fireline,Mr.Breathable Wader an Surf Top,along with Mr.Plug Bag
This has been a public service announcement for Lures an Gear For NIB...
Thank You for ur support..
:D
O shiiiit that might make me... Like Crazy..:D
nevermind....