View Full Version : winter battery storage

RIJIMMY
01-22-2008, 08:59 AM
What do you guys do to store your batteries for the winter? Do you run a charger on them or just leave them alone? :huh:

THANKS!

macojoe
01-22-2008, 09:08 AM
There are a lot of different answers to this question depending who you ask!

I remove and put in my basement on a block of wood. I check the water and fill if nessary. Then I give it a good charge. After that I just leave the sitting, part way thur the winter I will ck to see if they are holding a charge, and maybe put a light trickle charge on them. Most times I do nothing.

One thing is for sure don't leave in the boat! There are lots of storys of frozen batterys that have split open in the boat over the winter.

striperman36
01-22-2008, 09:20 AM
As Macojoe says

eastendlu
01-22-2008, 09:34 AM
I made a trickle charger thats 1 amp and use it on all batteries not in use in the winter (lawn tractor 2 marine batts.) works great and never have to worry about it.

RIJIMMY
01-22-2008, 10:27 AM
ok, I'll get a charger and keep them charged up. any reccomendations on a charger?

The batteries are on wood in my basement.

BassyiusMaximus
01-22-2008, 01:28 PM
I did a couple of things for 2 different boats. One one boat I took the batteries out and brought them into the house. If you have the space somewhere, this is the best thing. Just make sure they are charged up and the batteries will be good to go. The basement is better than leaving them outside.

On the boat where I left the batteries in, I put them on a trickle charger, a Schumaker I got from Wal-Mart for some $27, it is a smart charger in that it will sense when the battery is low and do what is right for the battery. I put the batteries I brought in the house on the charger about once a month as well to make sure they are topped up. The charger is cheap and makes sure the battery stays good for the 2-4 months they are out of the boat/the boat is not being used this winter.

fishaholic18
01-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Leave them in the boat disconnected or if you have a battery switch, turn it off. As long as they are in a dry spot in the boat, they will be fine. You can charge them if you want, but it isn't necessary.

striperman36
01-22-2008, 02:14 PM
get a float charger

HESH2
01-22-2008, 02:16 PM
if left outside and charge goes down battery will freeze and be no good.do as macojo says

Van
01-22-2008, 03:00 PM
If this helps.

I installed an onboard battery charger that I always use at the dock (the batt switch is always off at dock too).
For the winter, the switch is off and I plug into my outside garage outlet and trickle charge all winter. Its auto-charge and drops to like 0.5A once charged.

This way I just leave them connected, check the fluid in the spring and I'm good to go. Never sorry about freezing either.

MakoMike
01-22-2008, 03:48 PM
I use gel cells and just leave them on the boat. Never had a problem.

Roger
01-23-2008, 12:12 AM
I use AGMs left in the boat. No problems.

CaptMike
01-23-2008, 09:10 AM
I always put them in the cellar on a block of wood or a bench or something. I charge them up in the spring if they need it and good to go.

piemma
01-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Leave them in the boat disconnected or if you have a battery switch, turn it off. As long as they are in a dry spot in the boat, they will be fine. You can charge them if you want, but it isn't necessary.

This is exactly what the boat mechanic at my marina told me. he said " if they are good batteries they will just need a little charge in the Spring. If they are junk they will be dead in the Spring. Better to find out then than when you get it in the water." I have 2 batteries with a switch. When I had the boat winterized they just disconnected both batteries.

riverrat55
01-29-2008, 08:34 PM
I do what CaptMike does!!!
Have never had a problem!!!