View Full Version : Who Surfcasts 3X-5X a week?

Joe
01-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Who surfcasts 3-5 times a week during the striped bass season - or more...

Gunpowder
01-24-2008, 09:32 AM
I sure do but I'm 20 and can show up to work looking like I been out all night :)

The Dad Fisherman
01-24-2008, 09:38 AM
I do....Last Summer Between the Surf and Fresh I probably fished 6+ days a week. I'm making up for it now :love:

Flaptail
01-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Easily.

WadingWill
01-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Sometimes I go 7 times a week, usually at least 5.

numbskull
01-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Guilty

luds
01-24-2008, 11:10 AM
:)

Rappin Mikey
01-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Between the beginning of May and the end of June I fish every day (as long as river levels cooperate). After the fish leave Western MA, I am pretty much a weekend warrior for the rest of the season. Accept for the three weeks I'm out on the Cape in July and August. I fish everyday during those times.

bart
01-24-2008, 11:32 AM
:wave:

Rob Rockcrawler
01-24-2008, 11:50 AM
You are all a bunch of lucky bastages. Its one or 2 nights a week. Start in april fish till december its the only way to make up for the lack of days. What i wouldnt give to live closer to the water.

Mr. Sandman
01-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Sometimes I go multiple times in a day when it is good. I try to go everyday even if it is just for a little while just to keep a pluse on what is happening.

Swimmer
01-24-2008, 11:57 AM
I sure do but I'm 20 and can show up to work looking like I been out all night :)

I remember those days..............:yak:

Pt.JudeJoe
01-24-2008, 12:12 PM
:tooth: When I was young and in my prime I used to do it all the time. Now that I am old and gray..I only do it once a day.

MikeToole
01-24-2008, 12:18 PM
From my logs I average about 110 trips a season.

The Dad Fisherman
01-24-2008, 12:32 PM
:tooth: When I was young and in my prime I used to do it all the time. Now that I am old and gray..I only do it once a day.

Knock Knock...

a little Valby Reference :hihi:

Vogt
01-24-2008, 12:43 PM
5-7 days a week

Backbeach Jake
01-24-2008, 12:51 PM
In Season, 3-5 is bare minimum.

Salty
01-24-2008, 01:06 PM
I go 7 days a week does that count.

The Iceman 6
01-24-2008, 01:13 PM
"a little Valby Reference"

"I know a girl her name is Kristen...." Hey la de la.....

Back to the topic: I'm a weekend warrior myself as I don't live close to the salt - but I do go every weekend from May - Nov when I can. When on vacation though, fish every day.

JohnR
01-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Mentally, yes. Realistically no :wall:

I'd be divorced AND a lousy dad if I did. Though if my wife's work schedule allowed it I'd be out a lot more weeknights than I am now. Hard for me to justify a babysitter to go fishing (as much as I can justify it to myself)

slow eddie
01-24-2008, 01:38 PM
i do probably adverage out that much easily. i also need to get a life.

nightfighter
01-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Sometimes I go multiple times in a day when it is good. I try to go everyday even if it is just for a little while just to keep a pluse on what is happening.

exactly. Though some in boat now too!

JoeP
01-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Mentally, yes. Realistically no :wall:

I'd be divorced AND a lousy dad if I did.

BINGO! Before I had kids, when I fished more (3X/week) My wife use to half-seriously wonder if I was cheating ... RESPONSE: Smell...

american spirit
01-24-2008, 01:57 PM
BINGO! Before I had kids, when I fished more (3X/week) My wife use to half-seriously wonder if I was cheating ... RESPONSE: Smell...

that could go both ways :deer:

JoeP
01-24-2008, 02:00 PM
that could go both ways :deer:

Yeah but she knows I'd have better taste in women than those who smelled like that...

whiplash
01-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Easy mostly 5-6 days now that the kids are 20 &18 yrs and I don't have to play pick up and drop off.

angler229
01-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Easily

NIGHT STRIKES
01-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Hi Joe :wave:

Yeah easily that manner years ago,,before the family,house & everything else in-between these days..
But not anymore..

Although I am out there still once or twice every week from April thru December either out front on in the back depending on where the bite is and sometimes a little more during our prime-time months. :kewl:

JohnR
01-24-2008, 02:58 PM

I also never smell like a bar or brewery - if I did, wifey might have concerns ;)

spinncognito
01-24-2008, 03:02 PM
I have always lived just 3 minutes away from productive water and fished 7 days a week. I moved this past December and now I live just TEN SECONDS away from productive water. I plan on fishing eight days a week from now on....

Seriously, I could now cast from my driveway (over a street) and land a plug in fishy water. Hmmmmm.... I may have to try that at like 2AM this summer.... :biglaugh:

Back Beach
01-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Three is about my max. If I did any more than that I'd be single and would be forced to fish seven nights a week. :devil:

Hey, wait a minute......:think:

Nah.

Slingah
01-24-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm in...thanks....
I hope I win!!!

BigFish
01-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Not me!:hidin:

3-5 times at least a week! I think JohnR is saying alot of us are bad husbands and lousy Fathers!!!! You think its easy being a lousy Father???:bgi:

RIROCKHOUND
01-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Yup!
average 5x; less in Mid July/Aug, more in May-June, Sept-Nov

cheferson
01-24-2008, 03:38 PM
at least

ilovetwofish
01-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Usually more the that.

bart
01-24-2008, 04:28 PM
at least

for you the question should be, "How many nights in a row have you fished?" your answer would be something like 6 million....

jim sylvester
01-24-2008, 05:23 PM
:wave:

Pete F.
01-24-2008, 05:48 PM
I fish almost every day april thru october for at least a few minutes, well it's never that little time, but I live many hours from the salt so no I can't do it 7 days a week there.

riverrat2
01-24-2008, 06:18 PM
I fish a handfuld of times a year the rest of my time is spent reading fishing sites and planning my next trip by way of reports.

Adam_777
01-24-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm good for 3 a week.Every week ! Sometimes more depending on my luck and what the rest of the family is doing.Summer this year may slow a little more than last.May use it for repairing relations between her and I.Then sept-dec it's back on full force.

tattoobob
01-24-2008, 08:35 PM
3X's would be at the least, some weeks morning and nights so it would be 14X's most seasons I do about 200 trips to the surf

My boat has been sitting next to the house for 2 years now

swimshad
01-24-2008, 08:41 PM
3-5 sounds like a reasonable avg over the course of the entire season.

gone fishin
01-24-2008, 08:47 PM
:hihi:Daily!! Sometimes twice -- nice to be retired. :blush:

Goose
01-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Used too, now I got excuses. I'm tired. Not a lot of fish around. Price of gas sux. Family obligations. I'ld rather put myself in the postion to catch a quality fish and get skunked then fish my ass off for the occasional 20#.

Canalman
01-24-2008, 10:24 PM
I do a consistent three except from May 15 to July 10 and September 1 to November 10. During those times, it's 4-10 (some days I go before work and then do the night shift after) times a week. BUT I'm not one of those guys who goes out no matter what, if the water sucks I stay home and put cookies in the jar for when the water is good again. And I no longer do all-nighters I've learned that it's an absolute waste of time---unless I'm slamming them, then I stay 'til they quit. :)

-Dave

NIB
01-24-2008, 11:08 PM
In sept I did one trip for three nights to the cc canal.An 2-3 night trips to Montauk.One stretch after that in NJ I did 22 of 23 nights.In the late spring I will be out more.. many times 2 a days..First light an dawn..
Most nights I go for a few hrs..with all nighters fri an sat..I have area's to move to make tides.

I would fish more but I don't have the stamina I used to..

Dad 818
01-24-2008, 11:49 PM

Valby RULES!!!!

Andy D
01-25-2008, 07:46 AM
At least 1 sometimes twice a day

bassballer
01-25-2008, 07:57 AM
3-4 times for me. Anymore and I would prob be single. Even now I have to keep a fish every couple of weeks so she will believe I am actually fishing. But she doesnt hassle me so I can deal with with it.

Back Beach
01-25-2008, 08:29 AM
I fish a handfuld of times a year the rest of my time is spent reading fishing sites and planning my next trip by way of reports.

That's called being efficient.

HESH2
01-25-2008, 08:56 AM
average at least 100 days per year,try and go every day spring-tides-weather-wind-etc. factors.start end on march and pretty much to dec.less days later on in year.

tlapinski
01-26-2008, 09:31 AM
3 - 5 trips per week from April through November is about right for me. It gets harder and harder each year between work, the mortgage, family life, living over an hour form the closest saltwater, etc... When I was younger and still living with my mom, I had seasons fishing 6 - 7 nights a week plus working a full time job and somehow finding time for school. Those were good times, but I get so much out of my family these days it more than offsets less time spent on the water.

hyefisherman2
01-26-2008, 10:00 AM
once i have my own vehicle it will be 8-10 times a week...:blush:

LeCounts1099
01-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Hye, when I was 17/ 18 yrs. old & finally got my vehicle & License... I did nothing (in- season) BUT fish anytime I was off from school! (Off- season I cleaned out the fishing gear in my vehicle, for my dates!). When I was biking only to fish pre- car... I still fished 3- 4x / week or more when in the "right" Seasons! :bl:

Still Single & no kids yet... so happily still fishing as much as I choose! :boots:

In May & June & Oct. & Nov., I'm fishing on average 5.5 days/ week or so, 65/ 35% or so Surf, to Boat... (I do have a GF & live in NYC no where near my prime spots-- otherwise I'd fish more those months! :angel:). April, July, Aug. & 1st half of Sept. I'd say my effort is approx. half that...

Jan.- April: NO FISHING AT ALL! Got to re-charge the batteries & legs, & pay the Bills & see the Woman sometimes! :huh: :heybaby:

RIROCKHOUND
01-28-2008, 12:05 PM

That prick Back beach did that and still landed more large than me last year.. oh, I forgot you're right here Mike... :gu::hee::hee:

Back Beach
01-28-2008, 12:14 PM
That prick Back beach did that and still landed more large than me last year.. oh, I forgot you're right here Mike... :gu::hee::hee:

Hey, the internet is a powerful thing. There's really no need to fish every night. I'm currently developing a computer program that will accept all kinds of input like wind, tide, location, moon phase, target species etc. Once that data is entered you simply connect to any fishing site's reports section and let the software do the rest. The end result is you’ll spend all of your time catching and will only need to be on the water, get this, ONE night per week. It will tell you exactly when, where, and how at the push of a button. You can even choose between small and large fish too. The plug fishermen are going to love it. :rolleyes:

I'm going to need some beta testers, any volunteers?

Bronko
01-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Hey, the internet is a powerful thing. There's really no need to fish every night. I'm currently developing a computer program that will accept all kinds of input like wind, tide, location, moon phase, target species etc. Once that data is entered you simply connect to any fishing site's reports section and let the software do the rest. The end result is you’ll spend all of your time catching and will only need to be on the water, get this, ONE night per week. It will tell you exactly when, where, and how at the push of a button. You can even choose between small and large fish too. The plug fishermen are going to love it. :rolleyes:

This sounds great Mike. Let me know when this is up and running. I'll surely get the handicap into single digits when you roll this out.:btu:

GonnaCatchABig1
01-28-2008, 01:15 PM
i average three trips a day.. catch both highs and then a low. with a nap between. though sometimes it just turns into a 16 hour marathon.. i really need to find a real job..

GonnaCatchABig1
01-28-2008, 01:16 PM

that kinda takes all the fun out of it doesnt it?

Back Beach
01-28-2008, 01:39 PM
This sounds great Mike. Let me know when this is up and running. I'll surely get the handicap into single digits when you roll this out.:btu:

I'm going to call it "Guaranteed Surf 50 in an hour" by Back Beach technologies. Its easier than turbo tax.

LeCounts1099
01-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Everybody's jealous of somebody, Bryan/ RIR... :tooth:

I thought I was doing good last Fall with my # 33 on Darter from M. surf on approx. Oct. 15th... 'till I heard later you did 2 (3?) better in a "slow" S. County Fall! :cheers:

zimmy
01-28-2008, 02:54 PM
I was getting out about 3 times a week may and june, less rest of the summer as the fish are a longer drive. This year with a 2 1/2 yo and new born, I am guessing it will be less

Rockport24
01-28-2008, 03:03 PM
3 times a week was about average for me. My wife goes to school nights so I had open nights when she was at school. I'll be starting grad school next year myself and kids are not too far off the horizon, so this season may be my last 3-5 times a week season for a LOOOnggg time.

Joe
01-28-2008, 03:24 PM
3 times a week was about average for me. My wife goes to school nights so I had open nights when she was at school. I'll be starting grad school next year myself and kids are not too far off the horizon, so this season may be my last 3-5 times a week season for a LOOOnggg time.

Not that long - Only twelve years or so....

EarnedStripes44
01-28-2008, 04:56 PM
last season, it was usually a weekend thing. but that will change.

Back Beach
01-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Hey seriously though, if you're one of the people who doesn't live near the water or has other responsibilities, it’s critical to pick your spots and timing. When it comes right down to it, I do a lot of prepping/study of the spots I frequent and how the factors may affect them. Even with a lot of years doing this, I’m still lucky if I bat .300. That means if I’m putting in those three nights during a week, only one is going to produce anything substantial, meaning one large fish. The other two nights are usually non productive in terms of numbers and sizes as it gets tougher to track what’s going on and becomes more a matter of throwing darts. The upside is every once in a while you hit the bulls eye, but you can’t possibly out produce people that do it 5, 6, 7 nights a week. Accepting this fact has made it easy for me to endure countless skunkings in hopes of being right every once in a while.

Mr. Krinkle
01-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Early May - Late November i'm out probably 3X a week.

Joe
01-30-2008, 08:10 AM
The more you fish the better pulse you have on what the fish are doing, the better you do. Experience gives you more "calendar spots," days when so long as the weather is favorable, the odds are very good - no recon necessary.

RIROCKHOUND
01-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Well said.
more nights just means more chances to bat .300, but I bet that average stays about the same... unless of course you find a pod of fish and can hit them for weeks on end in the same area :sled: then you hit it as hard as possible :lama:

JohnR
01-30-2008, 09:49 AM
The more you fish the better pulse you have on what the fish are doing, the better you do. Experience gives you more "calendar spots," days when so long as the weather is favorable, the odds are very good - no recon necessary.
Bingo
Well said.
more nights just means more chances to bat .300, but I bet that average stays about the same... unless of course you find a pod of fish and can hit them for weeks on end in the same area :sled: then you hit it as hard as possible :lama:

Bingo

You need to be out 3+ nights per week to have the pulse of where they are AND others out that often on speed dial.

That is why my fish pulse is lackluster, I don't have the time out on a weekly basis to track 'em - that, and I suck :bl:

EarnedStripes44
01-30-2008, 11:02 AM
I wish I could get out more often. Busy work week. Put in most of my work on the weekend.

spence
01-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Exactly, this is my biggest challenge.

-spence

Joe
01-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Some people's catch ratios are so high you would not believe it. (Not me.)
People I know who have fished a lot places including Rhode Island have told me that the fishing here is more predictable.

Rockport24
01-30-2008, 11:28 AM
yeah and it gets very frustrating when you do put in the 3-4X a week and get nothing!! I haven't thought too much about my goals for next season but I think I just have to be more mobile and try more spots

Rockfish9
01-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Sunday night through Thursday night... no weekends.

freebie
01-30-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm out 4-5 nights a week, depending on tides, wish I could fish all day every day though, once I hit the lottery I guess

RIROCKHOUND
01-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Exactly, this is my biggest challenge.

-spence

Spence you have more challenges than that...:fishin: hell you wont leave the house if you don't match; thats why you never fish... no fashion sense...

NIB
02-02-2008, 07:12 PM
3 - 5 trips per week from April through November is about right for me. It gets harder and harder each year between work, the mortgage, family life, living over an hour form the closest saltwater, etc... When I was younger and still living with my mom, I had seasons fishing 6 - 7 nights a week plus working a full time job and somehow finding time for school. Those were good times, but I get so much out of my family these days it more than offsets less time spent on the water.

When I was younger give me a break..:smash:
Trust me on this..do it now while u can..
Your only young once..:uhuh:

BassDawg
02-03-2008, 07:13 AM
When they first reach the hahbah i'll sneak in that third or fourth sunrise a week. And again on their way back south i'll try to add a nite or two to the island with deer all over it.

Haven't done the SaugRiver circus, yet. May check that out this spring and that would afford me some more entries into the basslawg :jump1:

Gotta keep it to weekends primarily with bride and child. My daughter will be 5 in april. the encouraging thing is my wife loves sunrises and soon the baby will be old enuff to get hooked :uhuh: :uhuh:.

Surfpirate
02-03-2008, 07:57 AM
I am at 5+ a week.

how is that possible? I am born again single, live less than a mile from a bridge, it takes me 20 minutes from leaving my door to reach the beach and because it is part or my regular routine to go before and/ or after work; season, tide and moon depending.

basswipe
02-03-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm good for at least 3x a week.But I've found that as I've become older the aches and pains have limited me to shorter outings and lighter tackle.

Back Beach
02-03-2008, 10:44 AM
whoops. see new thread.