View Full Version : Distortion on wide screen monitor

thortum
01-25-2008, 11:28 AM
I just replaced a HP 17" monitor with a HP 17" wide screen monitor. The distortion of pictures is awful. Is this normal with wide screens, or is there an adjustment that I can make in the computer to correct the problem. I could not find any adjustment in the monitor's menu to address the problem. Couldn't find anything in the computer either. I'm a computer idiot!

spence
01-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Your video driver needs to support a wide screen format, otherwise you can probably adjust the monitor but you will have black on either side of the screen.

-spence

thortum
01-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks Spence. I'm not sure what a vidio driver is, but I'll look it up in the "Help Menu".

MrHunters
01-25-2008, 12:17 PM
if you have a brand computer like dell or hp go to the website and plug in your service tag... under drivers see if there is an update to your video card. If you know the name brand of your video card go to the manufacture website and look for an update on your model card.

Also right click on your desktop go to properties and then settings tab. your new monitor has a "native resolution" look in the manual it will be like 1024x768 type of numbers... See if you can adjust the slider to match these numbers.

Forgive me for this but did you say a while back you had trouble reading stuff on the screen? If not, I am thinking of someone else, if so, the higher in resolution you go the smaller the text gets, so just a heads up.

thortum
01-25-2008, 03:45 PM
MrHunters - your my new hero [no offense Spence-luv you too]! I right clicked, and went to properties and settings and set it at the new pixels [or what ever it's called], and that fixed it. I was ready to bring the monitor back to store. I would have felt pretty stupid. As for your question: no I'm not the person that had trouble reading the screen. Thanks for the info. I owe you. Coffee, beer, or new fishing spot? :uhuh:

MrHunters
01-26-2008, 07:40 PM
MrHunters - your my new hero [no offense Spence-luv you too]! I right clicked, and went to properties and settings and set it at the new pixels [or what ever it's called], and that fixed it. I was ready to bring the monitor back to store. I would have felt pretty stupid. As for your question: no I'm not the person that had trouble reading the screen. Thanks for the info. I owe you. Coffee, beer, or new fishing spot? :uhuh:

:claps: no payment needed... but if you are up this area (gloucester) bring th beer and we can go find some fish :btu:

glad it works now

thortum
01-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Will do. Thanks again. :uhuh: