View Full Version : Question - Getting into investing...

BrianS
01-26-2008, 07:56 PM
My wife and I were talking about taking a little of our tax rebate and start playing with some small stocks etc...

I know absolutely nothing when it comes to the stock market. My father in law apparantely started by going and picking up "Stock Investing for Dummies" and another similiar book to start him off. I was planning on doing the same...

At the same time, I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions/tips as to where to start online?

GattaFish
01-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Start by putting your money in a Roth IRA.... NO Load...

gone fishin
01-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Real Estate - best investment & long term return!

UserRemoved1
01-27-2008, 06:17 AM
under your MATTRESS is more efficient in the long run

Raven
01-27-2008, 06:44 AM
invest in seeds...

grow a victory Garden for yourselves instead

fresh produce that you have cut just moments before

so alive ......it invigorates you. ((((( enzymes ))))

Health is the true wealth ....

without that all money is meaningless

consider how much food will go up

if/ when gas hits 4 bucks per gallon

mackenzie
01-27-2008, 04:09 PM
If you go the Roth IRA route you can go to a brokerage firm etc. and set up a self directed IRA account. That way you can put the money where you want i.e. stocks, mutual funds etc. My account is with Scottrade where you can open an account with $500.00. That's a minimum that has to be maintained. The only drawback is that you won't be able to touch the money, without penalty, untill you are 59 1/2. If you think you'd be interested in following the market there are two shows on CNBC that are informative and entertaining- Mad Money&Fast Money. 5 & 6 PM .

saltfly
01-28-2008, 02:56 PM
alot of towns have "continuing ed." classes at night during the winter and spring months.They usually run from 1or2 nights or 8 to 10 depending on the class.there is always a finance,stock,fund etc. in the mix and they're about $40.

The Iceman 6
01-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Mutual Funds...

PaulS
01-28-2008, 03:34 PM
No load mutual funds.

The Iceman 6
01-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Yes, no load.

spence
01-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Hey? Didn't we already discuss this? :tooth:

Assuming you already have a money market account with 4-6 months living expenses and no credit card debt.

Then invest in a no load Index fund (like the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund or something similar) and contribute monthly if you can.

If you get that down, then divert a small amount of your stock money, say 10-15% to invest in individual stocks if you want to play around.

But unless you have some skin with a company or want to do your homework, the Index funds are pretty brainless.

-spence

pmueller
01-29-2008, 01:05 PM
I've watching this guy Jim Cramer, Mad Money. Bought a book of his last week.
He compares his results to Warren Buffets, basically, the strategy is to save cash, buy good stocks in a down market or ones that are underated. Buy a little at a time.
Hid show is a little goofy but he grows on you a little.
Wants you to do your own homework.

BrianS
01-29-2008, 01:56 PM
I have *alot* to learn... :)

spence
01-29-2008, 03:41 PM
I have *alot* to learn... :)
I think to really understand how the market works you've got to seriously educate yourself. Then there's always the danger of knowing just enough to get yourself into real trouble :err:

That's one reason why I take the Index Fund route, although understanding the basics is probably worthwhile for anyone.

So many people though don't even have their basic financial house in order. I'm just getting to the point where I feel like I've got my sh*t together the past few years.

-spence

BrianS
01-29-2008, 08:21 PM
So many people though don't even have their basic financial house in order. I'm just getting to the point where I feel like I've got my sh*t together the past few years.

-spence

I think I might be in this slot... I havent even considered the future until recently. Ill repeat, I have ALOT to learn and stuff to work on over the next few years.