View Full Version : Canal Blitz Offerings?...

Bliz
10-02-2002, 11:15 AM
Can anyone offer any asdvice on what to throw into the blitzes going on down at the cape?...

I have seen TREMENDOUS amounts of baitfish in the canal & have not been able to get anything amidst the chaos in the waters all around me when the Stripers are blitzing...

I have tried spoons, plugs, jigs, plastics... you name it!

but...

NADA!...

It's driving me nuts!... :smash:

Any suggestions?... :confused:

I was thinking of trying to net some of the baitfish to research a good lure to throw at them... but with the amount of baitfish in the water, I would likely have a trillion to one shot of anything!...

Dav
10-02-2002, 11:42 AM
Last year there were big fish busting and everyone was catching fish on striper swipers orange and white or chartuese. This year I have been down there when it was smaller stipers chasing what I thought were baby menhaden because of the big eye and silver body . I tried several plugs and most of the time they were too big and the blitz sounded and I got one on a popper but had to throw it over the school and probably caught one by accident. Last time I went down I brought my fly pole and used a small clouser type white and tan on the top. I caught a few quick fish probably 18' then I got caught on the weeds or a rock and pulled the whole leader off. If you have them in close to shore you might try a small sluggo and put alittle piece of the lead brads that come with it. One thing to remember is that you might be seeing alot of fish busting on the top there are still fish underneath . Even after all the top water action some fish still hold on the bottom.

Mike P
10-02-2002, 11:46 AM
Hi everyone---long time no see.

If fish are busting and not hitting the usual offerings---poppers, metal etc,--try using a small teaser ahead of your plug. They're probably on small bait.

Also, you could try throwing a bucktail jig and running it back just under the schools on top. The fish breaking might be rats, but some bigger ones might be hanging underneath picking off cripples and stragglers from the bait schools.

Bliz
10-02-2002, 11:46 AM
Dav,

I was getting quite a few hits from the bottom prior to the blitzing, but it all stopped when the schools came in...

I'm hoping that there will be a day when someone figures out how to get in on the action when thes blitzes begin!!!

Bliz
10-02-2002, 11:50 AM
Great advice!

If the blitz continues where I go, I'll try to go with the teaser!...

What kind of teasers do you use that have been effective for you?...

STEVE IN MASS
10-02-2002, 11:51 AM
Mike...funny, I was into small fish on top yesterday, throwing a popper. It was fun, but I KNEW there were bigger fish underneath. And some up top, I SAW the splashes and fins).

Anyway, not ten minutes ago, I thought to myself "You Dumb $#%@, why didn't you take out the jigs and run them along the bottom!!!" :smash: :smash: :smash:

Live and learn (and try to remember :blush: )

Bliz
10-02-2002, 11:53 AM
Steve,
I tried that with a 1/4oz Bucktail...

And I still got no results!!!

STEVE IN MASS
10-02-2002, 11:57 AM
Awww, Got Stripers would be ashamed to know me.....:hs: ;)

And I had them right there in my bag, too....

Bliz
10-02-2002, 11:59 AM
We won't tell on you!...

But even the plastics were a dud!

richs
10-02-2002, 12:16 PM
If it's peanut bunker, put a 3/4 oz. egg sinker above a 1/0 treble and snag one. Let it fall below the school. You'll get fish.

Got Stripers
10-02-2002, 12:29 PM
Was down this morning hoping to run into JPowers, but not much happening at the east end, plus I had limited time. I did swing by the bridge and had a bass a cast until I had to leave at 9:30. Since I saw a lot of surfac feeding, I switched over to my 5-1/2" split tail on just a 1-1/2 oz Owner Saltwater bullet. The bass I picked up at the east was on the 7 inch verson on a 3oz head. I'm throwing a 9foot 1L Lami and a 3500 baitrunner with 150 yrds of 30# spiderwire. Very sensitive outfit and I stuck many rats in deeper water, but one large I couldn't turn before she came unglued and a couple chunky 25 inch fish. I think the match the hatch deal worked well, I only wish I didn't have to leave and even at that I had to fly home to make my meeting.

Bliz
10-02-2002, 12:44 PM
Nice to hear that you got some action!:D

I have been doing really well down @ the canal on plastics.

I've been using the storm baits - bunker color & pearl...

Problem for me is that I never sem to be able to break into a blitz when it comes on...

I will in the future, try out some of your split tail creations...

I checked them out on your site & liked what I saw... :)

I really want to begin researching blitzes to develop a lure that will bring some success... I don't like to snag fish since it totally takes away the sportsmanship of it all...

I'll have to do some research on this to formulate something!!!

Mike P
10-02-2002, 12:45 PM
Don--any kind of feathered teaser should work. A slab fly would be good if they're on peanuts. I go with feathers over a Red Gill or a small Sluggo 'cause you still have to reach 'em.

Bliz
10-02-2002, 12:54 PM
Thanks Mike!

I think I'll try that out!...

I'm sure they'll be blitzin' for awhile!!!

richs
10-02-2002, 12:56 PM
Uuuuh, you do know I meant snag the bait, right?

Bliz
10-02-2002, 12:58 PM
Sorry.
I missed that one!

That sounds like a great idea too!!!

I didn't think of that! Is it easy to do?...

Bliz
10-02-2002, 01:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that these weren't bunker... they were VERY small... However, I like the idea you had on snagging some of the bunker!...

Saltheart
10-02-2002, 01:28 PM
As RichS said , snagging bunker and letting them sink is an excellent way to fish. the snagged fish does not get lost in with a million others. Somehow the gamefish know the vibrations of the sangged fish and go right for it!.

Bliz
10-02-2002, 01:32 PM
That's great advice!...

Thanks to you both!...

How is the rod building business working out for you?...

I was hoping to see another picture of the recent rod you had built for someone else on the board!...

Do you think that you will be out fishing anytime soon?...

I hope to be able to meet you at one of the local gatherings sometime...

richs
10-02-2002, 01:35 PM
If the baits about 2-3 inches could be Bay anchovies. Try one of these- Rhody Chovies. Umpqua dealers should have them.

Bliz
10-02-2002, 01:37 PM
Looks alot like what I saw!...

I'll have to check those out!...

Thanks!!!

Bliz
10-02-2002, 01:38 PM
Got any actual bunker photo's?...

Saltheart
10-02-2002, 06:31 PM
I'm building a beautiful rod for Striperjerk1 . In fact its done. I will try to post pictures. Its gold stars on a black background. Super classy look. Like a fishing rod wearing a tuxedo! :)

I pretty much doubt I'll fish this fall. Everything is going good with the rehab program and I don't want to push my luck. Next Year! :)

I'm actually backed up on rods trying to catch up. I also have a bunch of blanks I want to build on so I can sell them ready made. These are less expensive blanks like the ones I sold real cheap last year at the mass bass show. I want to try to have another half dozen done for this years show so i can give people some real bargains like last year.

I don't know if I'll make the cookout at Weekapaug or not. Its unlikely but you never know. I would like to see people to say hi but if i don't make it i wish everyone good Luck with the fish. Suppose to be red hot down there right now so maybe you'll all have a banner weekend.

Goose
10-02-2002, 06:48 PM
Gotta go with a 3/4oz megabait or 1/2 hooligan

Canalratt1
10-02-2002, 06:59 PM
Try 1/2 oz. jig with a 3" plastic shad, works for me!

Bliz
10-03-2002, 06:47 AM
Sounds good!... & better safe than sorry for you Mike!

And if you dont make the cookout Saturday, I'm sure I'll catch up with you in the future!

Thanks for the advice on the blitz lures!

Nice Bass Goose!... I checked it out on your post!

You've had a great season this year!...

striperjerk1
10-03-2002, 10:51 AM
hey Saltheart does that mean i,ll have to wear a top hat instead of my watch cap.;)

NaCl H2O
10-03-2002, 01:49 PM
Try a freshwater bass "rattlin' rap." Works pretty good after dark.

Bliz
10-03-2002, 02:13 PM
I have one of those in my tackle box... they're great!

However, I don't seem to have much luck invading a blitz on it...