View Full Version : Night Fishing Pictures - tips?

wheresmy50
01-29-2008, 12:14 PM
I just bought a Pentax Optio W30 since my last camera went for a little swim last fall.

I know it's a fairly popular camera amongst fishermen, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips about the best settings for fishing pictures?

Since autofocus if difficult in the dark I was thinking of manually setting the focus for 5', and enabling the flash. I'm just not sure which mode to start with, or if anyone else hads a better way that has proven itself.

Also, Anyone find a good small case that you can open with one hand?

Thanks
-Ty

reelecstasy
01-29-2008, 12:31 PM
I just picked up a new camera for this year too, so I am curious to hear as well
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/images/prod_assets/page_content/1287_colors.jpg

Clogston29
01-29-2008, 12:47 PM
i keep it on auto or portrait. if you switch it to night mode, the shutter stays open a long time - you really need to use a tripod with that setting or the pictures will come out blurred.

for close ups, shine a focused light on the center of the image you want, push the button half way down so the camera focuses on the light, move the light away and take the photo.

don't try to take pictures with a red flashlight or headlamp in them, the picture won't come out well. I think its because the camera uses red light to focus.

Mr. Sandman
01-29-2008, 02:58 PM
These pocket cameras are nice but they are not that great for night shots or distance shots. The main reason is the little lens and a weak flash. That said many of these units have a "night mode". It will keep the shutter open but you need to remain very still, as mentioned above you need a tripod. That is normally good for fixed objects or the moon but not moving (or posed) people at night. They normally have another mode that indicates a dark background and lit subject. Try this, I have gotten away with some decent shots. The flash is only good for a few feet. Don't try and take a photo of someone fishing down the beach aways because it will come out black. For best results get as close as you can without zooming use the flash. Then fix any red eye later.

The below was taken at night with a little handheld dig. The resolution was reduced alot for positing here but you get the idea.

wheresmy50
01-29-2008, 07:16 PM
That's a nice picture and thanks for the suggestions.

I've been taking some test pictures in dark rooms, and one thing I've noticed is that you really need to set the sensitivity very low or you get TONS of noise. Even some of my tested pictures at ISO 400 were unacceptable.

I tried just setting the focus distance since point and shoot cameras have tons of depth of field, but you lose that setting every time you turn the camera off. I guess you just need to use an external light like Clogston said. Since one is on my head all night, that shouldn't be too hard.

Between not carying my camera in the past, and not being very good with it, I don't have too many good fishing pictures. Thanks for the help.