View Full Version : Okay-you've just landed a 50 - now what?

cow tamer
02-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Okay-so you've just landed a 50 - now what? Release it. Say cheese. Drag that trophy 1/2 a mile back to the truck. Eat it. Admire it. Take it to the local tackle shop.

luds
02-01-2008, 05:52 PM
I'd look for something to wipe with. :spin:

spence
02-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Depends on where it was caught. If remote and in good shape she might be released, but if I could get her back to the buggy she might just end up on my livingroom wall :hee:

-spence

Nebe
02-01-2008, 05:58 PM
I would take into consideration the question of 'will they be here tomorrow or the next day?' and if so, the question is wether or not i tell anybody about it for a day or 2. News of a 50 travels like wildfire..

Gunpowder
02-01-2008, 06:09 PM
I don't think anyone really keeps a fifty for the intention of eating it... I heard the meat is not nearly as tasty as the 15 pound range is.... I'll let you know what I do after I catch mine ;)

Sea Dangles
02-01-2008, 06:25 PM
I always believe they will be there tomorrow.

nightfighter
02-01-2008, 06:37 PM
I know I'll catch hell from the usual crowd for this, but.....if I am fishng for S-B.com in the Striper Cup, or fishing my first Derby this year, I am gonna weigh it. (After calling Luds and Clogston to see what their on first....) Hey, if last year is any measuring stick, it could also be worth a VS275 and a shot at a truck.
I did keep a large fish this past year, largest I've kept, and the meat was better than I expected, for what it's worth.
That said, there are fewer and fewer things in life that give you the satisfaction of returning a remarkable fish back to the sea. Warms your soul. You can't get that hunting. That's not a knock on hunting; it's just different.

Gunpowder
02-01-2008, 06:39 PM
I know I'll catch hell from the usual crowd for this, but.....if I am fishng for S-B.com in the Striper Cup, or fishing my first Derby this year, I am gonna weigh it. (After calling Luds and Clogston to see what their on first....) Hey, if last year is any measuring stick, it could also be worth a VS275 and a shot at a truck.
I did keep a large fish this past year, largest I've kept, and the meat was better than I expected, for what it's worth.
That said, there are fewer and fewer things in life that give you the satisfaction of returning a remarkable fish back to the sea. Warms your soul. You can't get that hunting. That's not a knock on hunting; it's just different.

Agree with you 100% on all accounts there. Well put.

MikeToole
02-01-2008, 06:42 PM
I'd look for something to wipe with. :spin:

Now that's funny. :biglaugh:

Flaptail
02-01-2008, 07:02 PM
SELL IT!!!!!

BigFish
02-01-2008, 07:06 PM
I really just want a few good pics with it....tape it and Boga it and I would have to evaluate how long it took to beach her.......all that considered......I would like to release it! If I feel she has a shot......I will give her back to the sea!:btu:

t.orlando
02-01-2008, 07:10 PM
First one goes on the wall.

BigFish
02-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Oh....I forgot....after she swims away I would have to pinch myself!:laugha:

BigFish
02-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Oh I also forgot......when I get back here and post pics...folks will doubt the veracity of my claim due to the fact it was not weighed on a certified scale so.......should this happen......so you know in advance.....I don't care if anyone believes me or not!:hihi:

BassDawg
02-01-2008, 07:30 PM

My thoughts and actions, EXACTLY!!
Will kill no more than necessary to compete
successfully in the 2008 Striper Cup's Surf Division.

Good Luck, nightfighter and others :fishin:!!!

thortum
02-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Like others have said, I would think that I'd release it if I thought it would survive. Don't know how I'd get it home, without it spoiling. Takes an awfully big cooler! Can't afford to mount it. Bottom line is: HOPE I NEVER CATCH ONE!!!! :tooth: :err:

Goose
02-01-2008, 08:07 PM
One word....YouTube baby!!! it'll be called 'the luckiest fisherman':rolleyes:

zimmy
02-01-2008, 08:20 PM
if it revives its going back. won't know its a 50 though for sure, and probably won't really care much. Wouldn't boga it at this point after reading enough to convince me that I would be releasing it to float in most cases. look forward to it

keeperreaper
02-01-2008, 08:27 PM
It came home for pics.

HOCKEYCOACH
02-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Pictures and measure it, if I think it will survive it goes back. Have it mounted from the pics. Let if breed we need more fish.

fishaholic18
02-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Drag it home and sleep with it...:love:

Mike P
02-01-2008, 08:53 PM
I know I'll catch hell from the usual crowd for this, but.....if I am fishng for S-B.com in the Striper Cup, or fishing my first Derby this year, I am gonna weigh it

Naw, not here. The "usual crowd" hangs out at another website, and most of the ones who tell people "you should have released it" or, "I'd release the world record" are still looking to break 15 lbs, let alone 50 :rollem: And another group would accuse you of photoshopping the picture :doh:

luds
02-01-2008, 09:50 PM

:rotf2:

Gunpowder
02-01-2008, 09:52 PM

mine is right above my head every night.... never out of sight :humpty:

freebie
02-01-2008, 10:17 PM
first thing would be to take a picture, then I'd call "gonnacatchabig1" and "shipwrecked" to brag about much better of a fisherman I am than them, then I'd let it go if I thought it would make it as I can't afford to have it mounted

Slingah
02-01-2008, 10:20 PM
First one goes on the wall.

me too...skin mount

numbskull
02-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I'd want to keep it and show it off and use it to wash away my inadequacies as a person, but I know it wouldn't and I'd be embarrassed thinking it could, and when it couldn't I know I'd regret killing it, and I'd look out at the night sky and know I needn't end the fish's existence to justify my own, and I'd feel grateful, blessed maybe, to have crossed paths with such a great creature, and I'd turn it free and then sit there for a long, long time.

tangler
02-01-2008, 10:35 PM
I'd wake up and get ready for work ....:sleeps::sleeps::sleeps:

actually I hope I'd release it after photographing .

Vogt
02-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Make sure no one finds out where it came from......:devil2:

Gunpowder
02-01-2008, 11:28 PM
vogt you got that right or say good bye to ure one man honey hole..... seen that happen before.... anytime i catch something of considerable size from the vineyard, i say i caught it on south beach with a spoon. thats like a good ten plus miles of beach they'll have to decide about....

redcrbbr
02-02-2008, 02:15 AM
I'd say depends on how the fishing is at the time of the catch and also if i have a camera. If the camera isn't there it comes with me.

ilovetwofish
02-02-2008, 07:06 AM
Back in the water if in good shape.

Clogston29
02-02-2008, 07:44 AM
i'd keep it. take a ton of pictures so that I'd know at least one would come out good. then I'd drive to a far away tackle shop (RI, Cape, Maine, etc) and weight her in. Lie to everybody about where and on what she was caught and keep track of the rumors on here and other fishing reports and laugh. then I'd probably eat it. I don't have any problems with eating larger fish, just have to cook them right. I don't know if a mount would be worth the money for me. A nice photo would be good enough for me.

Jenn
02-02-2008, 07:53 AM
uh....its going straight to the taxidermist and then on my wall where only friends and family will see. Not up for getting hammered by the "I dont kill fish" clan.

Funny how I have a well thought out plan for something that will most likely never happen huh?;)

5/0
02-02-2008, 07:58 AM
It came home for pics.

Nobody like's a wise guy:whackin:

5/0

keeperreaper
02-02-2008, 08:05 AM
I'll let you reel in the next one!!:wave::wave:

:thanks:

RickBomba
02-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Josh, I love the "eat it," idea!
I caught a really big fish once in my illustrious fishing career.
It was a hot day, my cooler was too small (the cooler was about 90 qt size).
I decided that the fish would be too mushy by the time that I got it home.
It was in a year thaat, fot those of you who remember, Rappin Mikey and I had the little 15 foot Starcraft and would catch goof fish every time we went out.
I let that one go...never gotten one close to that.
This was 7 years ago.
Oh well...I'd definately put the next one on the wall.
Later,
Rick

The Dad Fisherman
02-02-2008, 11:33 AM
I'd take it home and Mount it........then take it to the Taxidermist. :hee:

NIB
02-02-2008, 12:16 PM
I'd want to keep it and show it off and use it to wash away my inadequacies as a person, but I know it wouldn't and I'd be embarrassed thinking it could, and when it couldn't I know I'd regret killing it, and I'd look out at the night sky and know I needn't end the fish's existence to justify my own, and I'd feel grateful, blessed maybe, to have crossed paths with such a great creature, and I'd turn it free and then sit there for a long, long time.

Well thought out statement.I know a fellow surfcaster who Had the disease REAL BAD..He sacrificed everything, family, kids,a good job.. All in the pursuit of the giant linesider.One winter day as he sit in his apartment all alone with a 53 and a 59 on the wall.The mounts where not enough to take away his grief...
He said that was it. The next day He gave the mounts away and went home to beg his family for forgiveness.
That being said I'll probably still kill the first one..
I'm a fool like so many others.Maybe somewhere down the road when I am in need. I can sell the mount, if I am lucky.For what I paid..

Gunpowder
02-02-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm a fool like so many others.Maybe somewhere down the road when I am in need. I can sell the mount, if I am lucky.For what I paid..

i think you can still fish and have a happy family... you just have to find a wife that loves fishing as much as you do and then raise your kids to be fishermen and this will never ever be a problem :hihi:

Adam_777
02-02-2008, 12:46 PM
I'd take it home.Take Family Pics.Cut it up and eat it.Plain and simple.Maybe post a pic in the Best fish pic in 2008 thread in early december.If anyone asks it was caught on squid near an outflow in providence.

Brother Brian
02-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Until the moment it happens (if ever) I honestly don't know what I'd do.

nightfighter
02-02-2008, 03:02 PM
i think you can still fish and have a happy family... you just have to find a wife that loves fishing as much as you do and then raise your kids to be fishermen and this will never ever be a problem :hihi:

I think we'll have to revisit this sentiment when you have the wife, and assorted kids, one of which is at least in his/her teens.....

There are years when you can fish, really fish, and then there are years, sometimes a decade, when life gets in the way. It's the unselfish man that puts his true prioities in order...

american spirit
02-02-2008, 03:55 PM
keep it, eat it, take pics, retire the plug that was caught with it

Ake G
02-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Release her.

Been there....Nothing is more satisfying than watching them swim away.

HESH2
02-03-2008, 11:12 AM
release it back into the water

mackenzie
02-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Let her go. They say size does't matter. Already wasted too much of this resource in my younger days. Not a fish eater.