View Full Version : "Net" reality

Back Beach
02-03-2008, 10:46 AM
I've fished since I was seven years old, that's 31 years. Most of my formative years as an angler, as well as many of my greatest successes, occurred long before the net became a viable "tool" to utilize.
Given that, there are many ways in which to utilize the net to your angling advantage:

1. I love google earth for reasons mostly obvious, but I’ve found many ROW’s on google.

2. Weather sites and the ability to back test many of my results due to the fact that I never kept a log, but can remember times/places, and dates. I particularly look at moon phase and wind.

3. I actually check out (reliable) people's reports sometimes as a check against my own observations, and many times you can discern B.S. reports from reality.

Although many won’t admit it, they use the net as a tool in many ways. If any of you guys with more than 100 posts tell me it’s all B.S. and useless, you will be viewed with suspicion…....:devil:

Do you use the net as an angling tool and if so, how?

chris L
02-03-2008, 10:53 AM
comedy relief at work

LETS GO DOLPHINS !! they are in disneyland watching the super bowl after riding the twirly swings and the jaws ride at universal .

nightfighter
02-03-2008, 10:53 AM
yes:rotf2:

chris L
02-03-2008, 10:54 AM
ross
its too early for catching butterflies

nightfighter
02-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Chris, you know you are not allowed to post in any thread that has the word "reality" in its title.........

chris L
02-03-2008, 11:10 AM
I thought it said realty my bad
I thought I could by a piece of realty on the net

reality is overrated and lost just watch the idiot box

bloocrab
02-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Back Beach, don't listen to those jokers - - they love to ruin threads.

Being a serious poster, allow me to answer your question,,,, VERY, VERY LITTLE, if at all...do I use the "Net" as a tool for helping me catch fish.
If you've fished for 31 years, and most of your success was before the "Net"....????....you should probably spend less time here. Less time here means more time on the water, ;) -
As far as fishing things related, I use the "Net" as a networking resource in which I've met many other people, some of who think a little like me when it comes to fishing,,, it allows me to keep in touch with them somewhat,,, GoogleEarth, helps...but as a creature of habit and stubborness, I like the spots I fish - so I can't chalk up a GREAT day on the water due to GoogleEarth. I'll tell ya what has happened though, as much I appreciate the friendships I've made with the "Net", it's also confirmed what I always felt, there are SO MANY BULLS-HIT ARTISTS here, who can't even bulls-hit good enough to even come close to believing. Sad thing is, I can count who I believe on this site without using my toes.... :yawn:,,,, If you want to become a better fisherman, spend more time on the water doing what's worked for you in the past. Fish don't change as much as you think, it's we that change - If you're new to the sport, and have to rely on the "Net" as your lead resource, I PITY you. Like EVERYTHING else in life, EXPERIENCE IS THE GREATEST TEACHER AND BEST WAY TO LEARN. ... I was fortunate to also fish many years before the "Net" ruined me, and am now trapped as a prisoner of my own conviction. Growing up very close to the water along with a father who loved to fish, (targeting EVERYTHING that swam)...I learned a LOT back then. That coupled with an imagination to try what he wouldn't has also elevated my experiences. OOOOOOOOPS, a little :topic:,,, silly wabbit, Trix are for kids -
...................ok, what was the question again???.......YO ROSS, puff - puff - pass

riverrat55
02-03-2008, 01:56 PM
There are about 10 guys on this site that think they own this site(you know who you are!!!) and would not give you the time of day!!!
Beyond that, I have found this site very usefull and with many people who will share their information with you!!!

numbskull
02-03-2008, 02:46 PM
I've been fishing since I was 7 as well, which makes 45 years at it, and I still learn a ton by sifting through what other people do and think. Lots of good info on equipment and sources to get it. Lots of useful opinions on different setups and techniques. Hearing and seeing what other people are catching is also powerful motivation for me. Made new friends to fish with and have met guys that help me build better plugs. Finally, it provides a source of entertainment with a fishing theme, that I enjoy. Best thing that has happened to fishing in my lifetime.

Circlehook
02-03-2008, 02:58 PM
If the net did not exist, I would still be ch#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g bombers aimlessly during daylight hours while my girlfriend worked on her tan!!

Seriously, I have learned so much on the web that I was able to put to use on the water, that there is no way I would have learned otherwise. I have learned techniques and theorys that I did not even know existed. Not to mention tackle and applications for each.

This is such a huge resource, and my angling has improved a million-fold since I began using it to help improve and learn.

Anyone who disagrees is either cheating themselves out of a chance to take thier ability to the next level, or lying. :fury:

Pete F.
02-03-2008, 04:01 PM
I've been fishing since I was 7 as well, which makes 45 years at it, and I still learn a ton by sifting through what other people do and think. Lots of good info on equipment and sources to get it. Lots of useful opinions on different setups and techniques. Hearing and seeing what other people are catching is also powerful motivation for me. Made new friends to fish with and have met guys that help me build better plugs. Finally, it provides a source of entertainment with a fishing theme, that I enjoy. Best thing that has happened to fishing in my lifetime.
I'll second that and I have pictures of me fishing at 5 so that makes 48 years. If catching became something that was predictable and I knew that going to spot X would guarantee me Y fish of Z size I would not go.
It's sort of like a giant game of Battleship.:cheers2:

nightfighter
02-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Beach,
I use it as a reference for when fish are on the move in the beginning of the season and the fall migration. I also use it for feedback on gear and techniques, as well as classifieds occassionally. But my best use of the net has been to develop true friendships which have resulted in a number of weekend trips to places like Cuttyhunk,TFCTFN, shows, and Plugfest.
Didn't mean to derail this discussion earlier, but I couldn't resist....

Flaptail
02-03-2008, 10:33 PM
As far as the net as a tool, the resource has been good for say plug building skills. As for making my fishing better, not really, not even close.

The net is what I do when I get bored and then you know what happens.

Oops I did it again.

But that's entertainment for ya!

Back Beach
02-04-2008, 08:13 AM
As far as the net as a tool, the resource has been good for say plug building skills. As for making my fishing better, not really, not even close.

The net is what I do when I get bored and then you know what happens.

Oops I did it again.

But that's entertainment for ya!

With 4,300 plus posts, you must lead a boring life..:laugha:

Really though, its a good tool. If this stuff was available 15,20, 30 years ago it would be just as big a deal as it is now, meaning people would use it if there was any implied advantage to it.
It's kind of like the WWF, nobody would admit they watched it, but secretly they couldn't get enough when noone was watching.

As far as catching more fish, not sure it helps, but in some cases the info helps me save time, which is huge.

Flaptail
02-04-2008, 11:53 AM
With 4,300 plus posts, you must lead a boring life..:laugha:

Really though, its a good tool. If this stuff was available 15,20, 30 years ago it would be just as big a deal as it is now, meaning people would use it if there was any implied advantage to it.
It's kind of like the WWF, nobody would admit they watched it, but secretly they couldn't get enough when noone was watching.

As far as catching more fish, not sure it helps, but in some cases the info helps me save time, which is huge.

I don't sleep much either.

Goose
02-04-2008, 02:07 PM
I find 'the net' to be very useful for fluke but a pain in @$$ when it comes to bass.:biglaugh:

No doubt, for me it has played a big part. Just because you've been doing something for a long time doesn't mean you where doing it correctly but at the same time if you where doing something for a long time pre-net then chance are you know the fundamentals and have the experience the net can not give. Just because you wear the aqua skins, the VS's, 15#'s of gear hanging off you LLBeans or own the top of the line boat doesn't mean chit, experience teaches that.

eastendlu
02-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Actually the net has helped me catch more fish i have attached gps devises on a few heres buggys and track them thru google earth so far i can tell you that Bigfish spends alot of time at dunkin doughnuts.:rotf2: