Raven
02-04-2008, 07:01 AM
now all they have to do is take that surplus
of nitrogen and utilize it on purpose to
grow algae out of it in controlled environments
and then synthesize the bio fuel out of the algae

zimmy
02-04-2008, 12:50 PM
When my family gives me sh$t for not eating pork with my sauerkraut on New Years, I say we can have crabs and stripers in the Chesapeake or pork for New Years. I'll take catching bass and eating crabs any day over a pork roast, They think I am nuts, but it's straight forward that until farming methods are changed thats the way it is for me.

zimmy
02-05-2008, 09:48 AM
I have always been concerned about pork and chicken, in particular due to the massive amounts of waste and the affects on the Chesapeake. I grew up in farm country in PA and spent my summers on the bay, so it was always forefront of my mind. In the late 80's the crabs disappeared and the affect of nutrients on water quality was really hampering efforts to re-establish the grass beds. Progress one year is set back the next spring. If you look around these days, you can find small farms that have much less impact. Usually you end up with half a pig in your freezer and they are usually organic so you may pay a bit more. Trader joe's also buys meat from places that are supposed to be more sustainable. Fixing ag. practices is really something that gets not enough attention i.m.o.

chunk
05-19-2008, 02:06 AM
sh*t happens I guess

closedSCTIMBER
05-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Smells like Money!

reebok
06-11-2008, 10:26 PM
quite a story

bobber
07-18-2008, 10:06 PM
the real friggin' disastres occur when a hurricane clows through there and floods the ponds/fecal lagoons..... dead pigs cloggin up all the little creeks in addition to the poop ponds. the algae bloom into Albemarle Sound a few years back was (literally) seen from space.....