View Full Version : Is this ?

Raider Ronnie
02-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Is this the biggest super bowl upset ?
Certainly gotta be one of them !

BigFish
02-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Yes! Maybe the biggest upset in sports....cept' for Sox sweep Yanks in 04' of course!:rotflmao:

Andy D
02-03-2008, 10:58 PM
One of the biggest right up there the Sox sweep of the Yanks. :fury: :rotf2:

lurch
02-03-2008, 11:46 PM
have to agree biggest upset of all time.

Giants played a great game.

Pats one sack and if Asante catches the ball we are talking about 19-0...oh well next year.

We let my 8yrd old stay up and watch the game and she was a mess...crying for almost an hour. I had to explain to her about losing and that we should congratulate the Giants.

Mike P
02-04-2008, 12:06 AM
No. The Jets upsetting the Colts--who were 13-1 during the regular season and 17 point favorites--was a bigger one. It removed the AFL from "minor league" status, and the Chiefs sealed that the next year.

What would the NFL look like today if the Jets hadn't given the newly merged AFL legitimacy---how would Rozelle have convinced the Steelers, Colts and Browns to go back and tell their fans they were no longer real NFL franchises if the Jets hadn't put the AFL on an equal footing?

wrikerjr
02-04-2008, 06:56 AM
its up there, but not bigger than the jets colts. It will certainly be a loss that will remain with the Patriots for a long time.

JohnR
02-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Certainly a big upset, and probably in the tops ten, but here are a few it is not bigger than:

US v CCCP 1980

Sox -v- Yanks '04 :humpty:

Jets Colts

Pats -v- Rams '01 Remember the greatest show on turf? The Pats had no right winning that game but they did. This game, the Giants always had a shot and those that thought it would be a blowout of epic proportions were blowing smoke up their arses. I forgot who I was talking to from here a bit about this (maybe Afterhours??) but I've been saying tight and low for a while but that was tighter and lower that I even thought. "Course I'd picked the Pats to win.

beamie
02-04-2008, 07:54 AM
I wonder if a loss like this will spark the end of the "Dynasty". Teddy and Junior may retire, who knows where Moss and Samuel will be. May be all down hill from here,....hope not though.

Hooper
02-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Hats off to the Giants and their fans. Like all of you, I am deeeply disappointed for my team. But, that's why sports are so great, sometimes the "underdog" gets the crown.... Well done G-Men.

Mike P
02-04-2008, 09:44 AM
I wonder if a loss like this will spark the end of the "Dynasty". Teddy and Junior may retire, who knows where Moss and Samuel will be. May be all down hill from here,....hope not though.

Doesn't matter as long as #12 is around. A "bad" season for you guys is 12-4.

Plus you play in a real soft division--I couldn't see anything worse than 4-2 in those games in the foreseeable future.

ProfessorM
02-04-2008, 09:48 AM
You are a gracious winner Mike. You sure you are form NY ?

EarnedStripes44
02-04-2008, 10:17 AM
top 3 greatest upsets in NFL of all time

EarnedStripes44
02-04-2008, 10:18 AM
And damn, the O line sucked, and they did not run the ball

Mike P
02-04-2008, 11:42 AM
You are a gracious winner Mike. You sure you are form NY ?

I'm sure I lived there for a long time, but I'm actually "from" Pawtucket.

The Giants were my team back then, and they're still my team. YA Tittle and his crew were the only show in town back in the 60s. I don't think that the Pats ever played on TV until maybe the mid-60s--perhaps not even until the merger. At least, they didn't play on any station we could pull in down there. ;)

This makes up for those 3 straight years we made it to the NFL title game and lost to the Packers and Bears. The Bears one hurt the most--they shouldn't have been on the same field with those Giants :(

The Iceman 6
02-04-2008, 01:04 PM
top 3 greatest upsets in NFL of all time

Yeah, Top 3 def.....

ProfessorM
02-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Heard some talking head today say this is as big as the olympic hockey game. Give me a break. Top 3 though in football.

beamie
02-04-2008, 08:01 PM
So right PM. This can't even compare to 1980 Olympic Hockey.

striperking70
02-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Yes! Maybe the biggest upset in sports....cept' for Sox sweep Yanks in 04' of course!:rotflmao:

cept' the Yankees were'nt a big favorite and undefeated and it was only the ALCS not the biggest game.

ProfessorM
02-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Keep saying that to your self, it will sooth the sting of losing 4 in a row. Got to let that humiliating lose go, it is not healthy. If the pats lost 4 in a row to the giants then you might have a point

The Dad Fisherman
02-06-2008, 08:26 AM
cept' the Yankees were'nt a big favorite and undefeated and it was only the ALCS not the biggest game.

Only the BIGGEST choke in Major league Baseball.....NO OTHER TEAM IN MLB HAS BLOWN A 3-0 LEAD (and don't even try and compare that to the Ball between Buckner's legs.....that only made it a 3-3 series tie).........And what have they done since then.....that pretty much sucked the "Mystique" right out of them.

BassDawg
02-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey, The "Mystique"!

Isn't that a river that feeds the North side of Boston Harbor :bl: :bl:?

ProfessorM
02-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Yeah,you tell him Dad :bounce:
If you are over that lose then I am sure we will get over this by next kickoff.

Just R. Ron trying to jack up the down Pats fans. He has nothing left to root for as he has not had a horse in the race in a long time.

Hey Ron how was that TUCK RULE game for you.:biglaugh:

striperking70
02-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Only the BIGGEST choke in Major league Baseball.....NO OTHER TEAM IN MLB HAS BLOWN A 3-0 LEAD (and don't even try and compare that to the Ball between Buckner's legs.....that only made it a 3-3 series tie).........And what have they done since then.....that pretty much sucked the "Mystique" right out of them.

Buckner cost them the World Series but I guess in your little world the ALCS is more important.:biglaugh:

Raider Ronnie
02-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Yeah,you tell him Dad :bounce:
If you are over that lose then I am sure we will get over this by next kickoff.

Just R. Ron trying to jack up the down Pats fans. He has nothing left to root for as he has not had a horse in the race in a long time.

Hey Ron how was that TUCK RULE game for you.:biglaugh:

Paul,
That "Tuck Rule" game sucked for sure!
But years from now, history will regard that loss pretty small compared to this one by the Pats!
This was huge !!!
I'm getting some enjoyment here out of this because of all the arrogant talk of Brady the greatest qb ever, Belichick greatest coach ever, greatest team ever, ect....
Pretty rediclous considering that plenty of games were left to be played and nothing had been won!
Funny thing as Brady is probably one of the most humble guys in sports and would never make talk like that!

The Dad Fisherman
02-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Buckner cost them the World Series but I guess in your little world the ALCS is more important.:biglaugh:

Actually, he didn't....Calvin Schiraldi, "Boston Creme Bob" Stanley and Rich Gedman cost them that game. Should never have gotten to the point where the ball could go through his legs

Buckner was just the Goat....

Raider Ronnie
02-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Actually, he didn't....Calvin Schiraldi, "Boston Creme Bob" Stanley and Rich Gedman cost them that game. Should never have gotten to the point where the ball could go through his legs

Buckner was just the Goat....

I've been saying the same things for years!
Bob Stanley, wild pitch let in the tying run after Schiraldi gave up a 2 run lead!
Manager should have been hung for leaving Buckner in that late in the game !
I think it was Dave Stapleton who played 1st base late innings all season long !

The Dad Fisherman
02-06-2008, 09:46 PM
I think it was Dave Stapleton who played 1st base late innings all season long !

Yep...Macnamara always put him in for Buckner late in the game for defense....just not that game

ProfessorM
02-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Ron you are right it is a major defeat, no doubt about it. The hype about handing them the greatest team ever accolades was manufactured by all the talking heads to get ratings and viewers. I bet that players didn't look past the game and buy into all that crap. They are veterans and know you have to earn it. I was so sick of hearing about how great they are too. Blame it on Larry.

At least we agree #4 was the greatest, only problem is that sport is irrelevant nowadays

And to the big city fruitloop above stay out of my little world your not welcome. Why don't you go jump off the second balcony into the back stop screen.

Raider Ronnie
02-07-2008, 09:02 PM
[QUOTE=ProfessorM;563395]Ron you are right it is a major defeat, no doubt about it. The hype about handing them the greatest team ever accolades was manufactured by all the talking heads to get ratings and viewers. I bet that players didn't look past the game and buy into all that crap. They are veterans and know you have to earn it. I was so sick of hearing about how great they are too. Blame it on Larry.

Ya Paul,
I recall Larry making a FEW of those statements!
As for me pilling on a bit,
Sorry :hidin:
But I doubt anyone would dispute that i catch more crap around here than anyone else, and I pretty much take it !
It's all in good fun !

Slipknot
02-08-2008, 08:51 AM
ya Ronnie, you do take alot of crap
especially since vectorfisher don't come around no more

you're a good sport

BassDawg
02-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Paul,
That "Tuck Rule" game sucked for sure!
But years from now, history will regard that loss pretty small compared to this one by the Pats!
This was huge !!!
I'm getting some enjoyment here out of this because of all the arrogant talk of Brady the greatest qb ever, Belichick greatest coach ever, greatest team ever, ect....
Pretty ridiculous considering that plenty of games were left to be played and nothing had been won!Funny thing as Brady is probably one of the most humble guys in sports and would never make talk like that!

By PLENTY, do you mean One? They were one game away, compadre. YET;

For me, the funnier thing will be the way in which next season unfolds itself......................

When all this talk surfaces again. Do you honestly believe that the Pats will suddenly self-destruct and become as IRRELEVANT as your pathetic Raidies?

Bill Belicheck will be the GOAT HC by the time he's done.

Tom Brady, barring any major injuries, will be the GOAT QB until someone else replaces him.

This NE Patriots Dynasty will be the GOAT NFL TEAM before this core group of players is finished lacing them up.

Very short-sighted of you R. Ronnie to think that one loss, granted one monumental LOSS, will change the direction of this franchise and these players. Get used to it, pally! These PATS are here for the duration and they are here to rewrite the Record Books, baby!!!

Raider Ronnie
02-10-2008, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=BassDawg;564228]By PLENTY, do you mean One? They were one game away, compadre. YET;

Guys like on the Big Show on WEEI were saying it with games left in the regular season!
And this loss does not change the future direction of the franchise, but throws the greatest team ever (regarding this season) talk out the window.

BassDawg
02-10-2008, 07:48 PM
PRECISELY, NOT, my point.

While i agree that the talk of GOAT was premature until it got done, it would also be ignorant of the History that was unfolding before us ~at the time~ to not acknowledge the potentiality for Perfection. My point is, that just because this season went bye-bye, it does not mean that they will not be considered the GTOAT so long as they can maintain thier torrid pace. Just because Miami went back-to-back and they won 3 SB, the perfect season does not make them the GTOAT, imho. They own the GREATEST Season of All Time, but would rank as the fifth or sixth GTOAT in my estimation.

What is MOST interesting to me is that it is not the PATS that are calling themselves, not Brady, and not BB, that are giving themselves these accolades. These opinions are coming from the WEEI Homers, experts, former players, former coaches, mostly media pundits, and objective Pro Football fans from across the nation ~you know the type of fans/talking heads that love the game for The Game, and are not intent on hating because their team was once great, never good, or all points inbetween?

Know what I mean, Vern?

Squid kids Dad
02-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Oh Ronnie..He who likes no Boston team...:raiders::deadhorse:

Raider Ronnie
02-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Oh Ronnie..He who likes no Boston team...:raiders::deadhorse:

Not true

Love the Bruins,
am a Red Sox fan
Don't like basketball so have no opinion on the Celtics!

Mike P
02-11-2008, 10:39 AM
I've been saying the same things for years!
Bob Stanley, wild pitch let in the tying run after Schiraldi gave up a 2 run lead!
Manager should have been hung for leaving Buckner in that late in the game !

Don't lose sight of the fact that Buckner's rusty gate imitation came in game 6, and it was already tied, with the momentum swung the Mets' way, and---most importantly--the Sox had a 3-0 lead in game 7 and Buckner wasn't around to blow it.

If Buckner fielded that ball cleaniy, he still would have had a had time beating Mookie Wilson to the bag. And do you really think that fatass Stanley would have gotten over to cover the bag in time? There was no one--NO ONE--faster from the box to first in the mid-80s than Mookie Wilson. He was two steps down the line by the time the bat left his hands ;)