View Full Version : Broken Seal ... ????

Tagger
02-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Sorry .. not dead seal thread ..
I see temporary big screw eyes threaded into ends of plugs to (hang)aid in construction /painting.. I imagine they are easier to handle .. I see this done by pro commercial builders and hobbiest .. My question is .. How do you do this without messing up sealer ?? Dose threading a screw eye in break the seal ? Would you do the same with hardwood ? .. really don't know .

ProfessorM
02-06-2008, 04:59 PM
I use coat hangers. I am cheap. I would think you have a legit point.

Tagger
02-06-2008, 05:04 PM
I would think you have a legit point.

Not really trying to make a point .. I'd like to do it if I was certain I wouldn't break the seal . Screweyes course thread would really chew it up I would think .. fine thread ?? I don't know ?

Flaptail
02-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Eddy baby, I think it just depresses the wood as the screw eyes go in. Don't think it's anything to worry about. You just get it in enough to hold tightly. (kinda like sex:love:)

Diggin Jiggin
02-07-2008, 06:45 AM
I've been cutting the tig rods in half when wiring and there's always about 5" extra. I bend those left over 5" pieces so it looks like a long U, hang the U on a screwdriver and give it a squeeze with some pliers right next to the screwdriver. Ends up looking like a nose loop with 2 sides each 2" long. Pull the 2 sides apart a little and you can insert this into either the nose or tail of the plug, then you can hang em by the nose loop on screw hooks or nails just banged into your basement ceiling rafters..

Raven
02-07-2008, 06:56 AM
i was visualizing the connection

if the hole was pre threaded

with a tap :kewl:

i know i know wicked over kill

but... in that case..... the screw wouldn't

cut into the seal .... i would think

and Flap i have bitten my tongue...:p

Rockfish9
02-07-2008, 07:35 AM
I use screw eyes on my final process,, Initialy, I hang them on short lengths of coat hanger, like flap said, I believe that the threads only compress the wood, I also feel that if those tiny little threads damaged my sealer, I guess my sealing process isnt worth a damn. I use them (screw eyes) on Maple,mahogany, birch and pine, no issues.....once the plug has cured from the sealer ( I'm in the BLO camp) I then remove the wire and dip in sanding sealer ( shelac based like my primer) and wipe off the excess, especialy on the ends and then insert my screw eyes and hang to be primed, It is my belief ( and I could be all wet) that the little extra doesnt hurt, at least from a sealing stand point, but I do know, that the primer ( binz shelac based) sticks far better than just primer on the wood, I've dropped plugs, kicked them across the shop scraped them with pliars, the stuff wears like iron if you apply the sanding sealer...

mikecc
02-07-2008, 08:28 AM
I use the aluminum wire ties for chain link fence. They are prebent 5/32" X 8" which is the same as the thru hole. they come in 100pks at HD for about $4.00.
They fit snug & it helps a lot when priming & painting

eastendlu
02-07-2008, 09:53 AM
I use coat hangers. I am cheap. I would think you have a legit point.

I think i'm even cheaper than Paul i go and buy a roll of steel wire for tieing rebar and cut to length as i need stuff is easy to bend.

ProfessorM
02-07-2008, 10:16 AM
I mis spoke. I am frugal.

VTBasser
02-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Put the screw eye in, take it out, then seal. That way any thread impact will be made and sealed. Put it back in when you need it. :kewl:

Tagger
02-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Some good suggestions thanks ...