View Full Version : A Fishing Story II

Goose
02-07-2008, 11:27 PM
I have spent a lot of time writing this story, partly because I'm not a writer by any means. I was inspired to write this through other books, friends, this web-site and most of all God. Thanks.

I hope that you choose to read this story, its about you. As you notice it starts with me changes to you and finishes with me, its really about us. The truth is its really about all of us anyone who reads it. I tried to make it so today's everyday person feels the message with a little humor too. This is a very old story told in a modern way. The fact is all I did was mix words around.

Jesus chose fisherman to be disciples because they see what others don't.

A Fishing Story II

After fishing the islands all night my good friend Masculine and I decided to call it quits. We left the dock with a lot of confidence knowing we had prepared well for the trip and had much success there before but after 6 hours into our fishing we accepted our fate that it wasn't meant to be, most fisherman know this in the term "skunked". Masculine and I sometimes refer to one another as 'brother', though we are not biologically we are brothers in some ways. Lets go home brother.

As we cross the nine miles of open water we can see the sun rising to the east, the bay is flat like a frozen lake making our ride comfortable. Despite not catching anything we where happy to be alive. As we approach the harbors jetty, a no wake zone, boats are heading out and I think they think we did well on that
summers night. In the distance we see the causeway through the sail boat Masses and our attention is caught by a large crowd that takes up both car lanes they heading west over the bridge towards the boat ramp. As we get closer Masculine says 'whats going on', who is that in the front and I said to him 'oh that guy, he's Mr. King', he's the talk of Dartmouth, I guess he's motivational speaker, he at our schools, parks, town hall & functions. I wonder why in the world is he down here at this time of morning.

Although there where no stains to be cleaned we went through our regular routine of rinsing everything down and tighten up, making our job easier when we got back home. We both couldn't help looking to our left, only 100 yards away the crowd slowly making their way toward the parking lot. After securing the boat You raced for the truck and trailer in anticipation to beat the crowd but like not getting a bite 6 hours into the night we knew we weren't going to make it. You then quickly ran over the dock jumped in the boat Musculine untied one rope while you untied the other. With a little extra concentration you manage to get the boat on the trailer with one shot while your brother is in the truck ready to drive off, by this time it was to late, the huge crowd had made their way into the parking lot. You signaled to Musculine and he drove up the ramp but we didn't go far after that. Just as you began to strap down the boat Mr. King approaches you, at this time you look over at your brother and you both know what the other is thinking....., 'oh boy, more non sense'. The next thing you know Mr. King says to you ' do you mind
if I use your boat in the water to just stand in?' Of course I do, you explain to him we had been out all night and caught nothing and where ready to go home, he said he will pay you generously, you two step aside and decide since the trip did end up a little costly... you agreed.

After getting the boat back in the water Mr. King got in and instructed me to tie up to one of the moorings that was only yards away from the dock. People standing at the causeway where overlooking the water, it reminding you of the 4th of July parade, others filled the beach and parking lot as far as the eye can see, the dock had people standing and sitting kids filled the edge. As Mr. King began to speak the crowd settled down and all eyes where on Mr. King. You whispered to your brother 'what on earth could this guy possibly say that's so great?' he whispers back " I hope it has something to do with gas prices! ". You decide to kick back and tell yourself at least I have front row seats. At first you try not be caught up his speech or be impressed with this this guy but after a short time you and your brother have been drawn in, or in fisherman terms 'hooked' to what he's saying. You are mesmerized by his words and his message and in doing so you lose track of time, one hour than another. Mr. King looks to you and Masculine and node's your brother untying the lines frees the boat as you start the motor.

As the boat swings around Mr. King tells you he wants to pay you for your time but after your experience with him you refuse any money he then suggests he can show you how to fish and he can show you better ways. You and your friend look at each other and can't help but laugh out loud. Your brother speaks up and tells him
" we are experienced fisherman".Since we where children we've fished all our lives and spent countless hours on Internet web sites. You than explain to him everyone knows that fishing isn't good during this time of day and year. The fish have moved to to deeper cooler waters, but he insists so you look over to your brother he's not
thrilled, he shakes his head and saying to himself "we're suckers" So you go.

Not far from the ramp and not close to the bridge Mr. King orders us to stop the boat, it was a small open area between the sail boats. At this point everything becomes a joke between you and your brother just going along happily partly because we where glad that we where not going to burn more fuel. You tell Mr. King "we don't normally carry much in the lure department, we are real fisherman we fish bait. Mr. king reaches for the lure with the biggest hook, know as jigs and says try this. After tying our slightly rusted jig you both drop to the bottom. Upon working the lure you feel as though your jig is caught on the bottom rocks, just before you begin to curse you feel the weight of a heavy fish bend your rod like it never has before and almost simultaneously yours brother yells ....."I'm On, I'm On". Though you and your brother had caught many fish through the years and several that where very big, still you had never felt anything like this. With reels singing all of your focus was on the job at hand, the dreams of your past time and passion was coming true. As the first fish came to the surface you knew it was the biggest bass you had every lay ed eyes on. You couldn't believe your eyes over 50 inches and 55 pounds. You look over at Mr. King and he has a subtle smile on his face. You then focused your attention to your brothers
fish, you both know he has another huge bass, after measuring and weighing your brother bass which is at least equal to yours you both celebrate with high fives and hugs, you ask Mr. King to take pictures and once he does we drop everything and continue to fish. Although we had been up for hours we where fishing on adrenaline. You both couldn't believe the size and number of bass you had caught that morning. You kept your limit but for hours you caught and released bass that fisherman only dream of, a catch of a life time. We where drained physically.

It was as if the short ride back was in slow motion. Looking toward the ramp there is still a small crowd waiting. Me and Masculine now look at each other differently we could only wonder "who is this King"? How can he command the fish of the sea? We both knew deep inside that Mr. King is not of this world we both felt self assured that he was beyond king of the sea. As we pulled up people stood all around admiring our catch and asking questions, we where both so humbled that we couldn't begin to give answers. I hope that we remembered to say 'Thank You Jesus' As Mr. King walked away he looked back and smiled saying "" Now follow me and I'll make you fishers of men.""

BigBo
02-07-2008, 11:54 PM
A timeless story that is never old. Thanks Goose.:btu:

zacs
02-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Fantastic!:btu::fishin::fishin:

LT. DAN 2
02-08-2008, 07:48 AM
Very Nice...Lenten season has Begun!!

Duke41
02-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Great story Goose.