View Full Version : God help us....

RIJIMMY
02-08-2008, 12:37 PM
I try to be open minded, I really do, I try to understand. I was a long haired, guitar strumming hippie (at least in the 80s and early 90s).

When Barak says "yes we can" I ask, we can WHAT? I am open, but what "can" we do? WHat is your pla

then I see this,,,are you kidding me? the frieking people that DIED for your right to protest are the FKIN MARINES!!!!!!!!

(CNN) -- Berkeley, the famously liberal college town in California, has taken aim at Marine recruiters, saying they are "not welcome in our city."

Berkeley passed a measure last week encouraging protesters to gather outside the Marine office.

1 of 2 more photos » Republican lawmakers in Washington fired back this week, threatening to take back more than $2 million of federal funding to the city as well as money designated for the University of California-Berkeley, the campus that became a haven of protests during the Vietnam War.

The battle erupted after the Berkeley City Council approved a measure last week urging the Marine recruiters to leave their downtown office.

"If recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome intruders," the item says.

It goes on to say the council applauds residents and organizations that "volunteer to impede, passively or actively, by nonviolent means, the work of any military recruiting office located in the City of Berkeley." See photos of protesters camped outside Marine office »

Outside the Shattuck Avenue recruiting station earlier this week, a handful of protesters with the anti-war group Code Pink camped out, strumming a guitar as they sang anti-war songs and held signs against the Iraq war.

"Time to end the war, time to end the war, time to end the war right now," they sang to the beat of "I've Been Working on the Railroad." Watch protesters sing "I Ain't Afraid" »

One giant sign said, "No Military Predators in Our Town." Another message on a pink placard read, "Join the Marines. Travel to Exotic Lands. Meet Exciting and Unusual People -- And Kill Them."

Zanne Joi peered out from under her straw hat. "This Marine recruiting station is trying to recruit our youth to go to Iraq to kill and be killed. And we are against that," said Joi, a member of Code Pink Women for Peace.

"This is part of a multi-pronged effort to end this war."

Protester Sharon Adams added: "This recruiting station recruits people to go fight and then once they fight and they serve their country, our country doesn't take care of them. That's a shame."

The Dad Fisherman
02-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Terrible.......The City Council should be ashamed of themselves.

RIJIMMY
02-08-2008, 12:50 PM
the state of CA should abondon them. remove all state and Fed funding - immediately. Police, firefightrters, etc should go on strike. There should be no tolerance for this.

RIROCKHOUND
02-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Freedom of speach for the protesters obviously...

But...
As far as the city council, well thats just bull%$%$%$%$. I don't agree with the war, but the marines have a job to do...
support the troops, not the war.

spence
02-08-2008, 01:01 PM
I think you're reacting a bit harshly.

We are talking about one of the most left-wing places on the planet after all, and without extremes how would we find the middle?

If this helps end the silly and bigoted ban against gays in the miltary, than it may ultimately provide some good. That being said I think the Republican lawmakers are doing the right thing by threatening to remove all Federal funding.

The US Marines are a pretty tough bunch, they can deal with this. Those protestors who clearly are biting the hand that feeds them will get it in time. These things do have a way of working themselves out.

-spence

BigBo
02-08-2008, 01:25 PM
If this helps end the silly and bigoted ban against gays in the miltary, than it may ultimately provide some good.spence
:doh::bs::cens:

spence
02-08-2008, 01:39 PM
A lot of positive change comes about by the extreme acting in an objectionable manner. This is not an endorsement of their behavior, rather it simply is what it is.

-spence

The Dad Fisherman
02-08-2008, 01:57 PM
I have no problem with the Demonstrations.....Freedom of speech is what this country was founded on.

But the fact that their Government referred to the Marines as "uninvited and unwelcome intruders" is just plain wrong.

Clammer
02-08-2008, 02:19 PM
WOW;;

another group of ass holes that need a walk down a dark alley :nailem:

chris L
02-08-2008, 03:01 PM
unreal !!!!! the city council should get out . protestors keep us all honest . I protested the wearing of bras and it worked at least where I work .

when does the earthquake drop cali off the US ?

Im going to boycott california .

Marines have done so much for this country .

striperman36
02-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Marines get out!!!

Panhandlers and other homeless illegal's feel free to stand in line for your benefits.