View Full Version : Wind knots or line twist?

Gunpowder
02-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Anyone ever get wind knots or line twist when they surf cast using braid? I seemed to get a lot more than usual last summer when I loaded my Cabo 60 up w/ 50# PP. I wasn't sure if I was spooling up my real incorrectly or if I over-spooled or if this was just normal when using fine lines. Any advice on this would be perfecto :hee:

mike

scoobe
02-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Braids are super limp which just exacerbates any sort of line problem. Wind knots happen when there is either twist in the line or the line is not spooled tightly enough (or a combination). If you spooled up the wrong way your line will be horribly twisted and it will be very obvious. You'll probably have to respool if this is the case. If you see loose loops on your spool then your line is not packed tight enough. When you cast the loose loops are pulled off the spool and viola, instant wind knot. To prevent this from happening always tug on your line after a cast before you reel in so that the line is tight to the spool. Also, try to always reel in with some tension on the line. If you have a lot of slack, squeeze the line between your fingers to keep it taunt. Of course if you spooled all the line on loose then that's a problem. When I spool up with braid I squeeze it very tightly between layers of an old cloth rag.

I hope these tips help. :uhuh:

beamie
02-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Gunpowder,

Did you load that braid to near top of the spool to get allot of line on it? If so, try taking some of the line off the spool. This seems to help some guys with wind knots, less loose loops.

Gunpowder
02-11-2008, 12:38 PM
sweet ok... thanks for the advice. im gonna take like 25 or 50 yards off and see what that does.
mike

ridler72
02-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Some spinning reels come with spacer washers to adjust spool height which will effect how the line is laid in. From my experience braid has to be laid evenly even after retrieve. If not overlaps may happen. My Shimano Stradics come with washers. I added 2 or 3 washers in some cases to the Stradics and noticed the line would go on even all the time. Since then I haven't had any issues with braid on the Stradics.

This may or may not help you but it was one little thing I noticed with braid on spinning reels.

Slammer223
02-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Do you flip the bail over with your hand instead of just turning the reel handle?I've been told that this is a big help.

Marc Z
02-12-2008, 11:19 AM
If you fish braid on a spinning reel you have to do more than just cast out and start your retrieve when the lure hits the water or you WILL get wind knots.
Here is what you need to do; when the lure hits the water you must take the slack line in your hand and reel that onto your spool tightly before you start your retrieve. If you have a bail you also must first manually flip your bail over rather than engage it by reeling. This must be done on every single cast and retrieve. It sound like a lot but it will become second nature. I assure you that if you do this it will absolutely reduce your wind knots to almost none. If there is a heavy wind in your face or to your side it will be a little more difficult because there will be more slack line to get on your spool but you have to pay attention even more in a heavy wind.
good luck

wheresmy50
02-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Here's what I've found that works for me:
- Don't fill the spool completely - leave 1/16 to 1/8".
- Close the bail manually and give a little tug on the line to reduce the chance of loops.
- Every once in a while, hold the line with your non-reeling hand and retighten your line. For whatever reason, this also seems to catch a few fish, especially with needles, since it causes a pulsation in the line.
- The less resistance with which you reel in your lure, the more often you'll need to retighten the spool. If you're using metal lips for instance, you may not need to do it at all.

I've never proven this, but I don't think swivels do anything with braid. The line is too limp to provide enough torque to turn the swivel.

Gunpowder
02-12-2008, 05:46 PM
- Close the bail manually and give a little tug on the line to reduce the chance of loops.

Here is what you need to do; when the lure hits the water you must take the slack line in your hand and reel that onto your spool tightly before you start your retrieve. If you have a bail you also must first manually flip your bail over rather than engage it by reeling. This must be done on every single cast and retrieve. It sound like a lot but it will become second nature.

Do you flip the bail over with your hand instead of just turning the reel handle?I've been told that this is a big help.

Guess I have to start doing this... thanks for the great advice.

tattoobob
02-12-2008, 05:55 PM
I found that using poppers and pencils helps to make loops in your spool, I do think a swivel helps (I always use one). The only reel that I don't get wind knots in is my VS's.

Adam_777
02-12-2008, 06:49 PM
One way of prevention is look down at the spool before each cast.If you see a little loop of line in the spool anywhere you need to fix it before you cast.If you try casting with the little loop you'll get the knot almost everytime.Also make sure the lip on your spool is smooth and free of nicks or cuts that the line will hang up on.Just use some fine emery cloth or fine sand paper and polish the lip if it isn't smooth.It will happen alot if you spool too much braid on the spool and will level off once you take some off but still have a chance for the wind knot.Also lure weight and rod rating can be blamed on some.I've learned these lessons all the hard way.

jkswimmer
02-13-2008, 01:42 AM
Try thumbing the lip of the spool towards the end of the cast.

Andy D
02-13-2008, 07:55 AM
If you fish braid on a spinning reel you have to do more than just cast out and start your retrieve when the lure hits the water or you WILL get wind knots.
Here is what you need to do; when the lure hits the water you must take the slack line in your hand and reel that onto your spool tightly before you start your retrieve. If you have a bail you also must first manually flip your bail over rather than engage it by reeling. This must be done on every single cast and retrieve. It sound like a lot but it will become second nature. I assure you that if you do this it will absolutely reduce your wind knots to almost none. If there is a heavy wind in your face or to your side it will be a little more difficult because there will be more slack line to get on your spool but you have to pay attention even more in a heavy wind.
good luckThis method WORKS! A wise surfcaster showed me this on a vineyard beach a few years ago. Thanks Z-Man

Back Beach
02-13-2008, 08:43 AM
Anything under 30# braid and it gives me fits. 40# or 50# PP on spinning gear or 65#PP on conventional and I have zero problems.

Gunpowder
02-13-2008, 08:59 AM
I was using 50# PP but I wasn't manually flipping the bail back over or probably packing the line back on tight enough... most of this was happening when I was pencil popping with an Al Gags sea special in windy conditions.