View Full Version : A question for needlers..

JFigliuolo
02-14-2008, 08:12 AM
I just rolled some stubby needles for windy nights. They are tail heavy, and cast like rockets, which was my main objective. I don't fish needles as much as others , so my question is:

On the retrieve these come in nose up at about 20 degrees, with a real ice sway. Does the nose up attitude bother anyone who uses needles regularly? I don't fish them enough to have an informed opinion.

Clogston29
02-14-2008, 08:55 AM
hab's come in nose up, lots of other builders too. I tend to prefer a needle that comes in nose up over one that swims level. LIFishVT makes a great needle that comes in nose up right at or near the surface.

Nebe
02-14-2008, 09:09 AM
nose up helps em come up to the top if they get too low.
You fish rocky rhody.. you know what happens when they get too low.. they get stuck. when a needle comes in nose up, and you reel in fast it will rise. superstrikes are not so nose up and i always struggle to get them to come up when i tick bottom.. then I loose them to the deep.

Charlie M
02-14-2008, 09:17 AM
They should be fine. 20 degrees isn't all that much. Fish them! You can always add some lead up front if you don't like them and want them to be more level.

Ake G
02-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Joe, they sound right where they should be.

The nose slightly up w/a slightly heavier than neutral bouyancy is where you'd want them to be for best control.

I agree w/Eben on the Super strikes.

My favorites and by far the most productive have been the Gibbs 1 3/4 ounce which pretty much float and are just perfect for the most productive (IMO) slow crawl retrieve...that's the weighting scheme I copied for my own this year.