View Full Version : Gardens... who has one

keeperreaper
02-14-2008, 12:59 PM
and what do you grow. I grow tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, all sorts of peppers, squash, zucchini, ans watermelons.

Raven
02-14-2008, 01:39 PM
and what do you grow. I grow tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, all sorts of peppers, squash, zucchini, ans watermelons.

i am .......

my specialty is sugar snap peas
broccolli ,red lettuce, and to many
others...to list

i bought a farm established
in 1850 and soon hope to have 1 acre in gardens
that i'll be growing crops on.......this spring i will be
building a big hoop house and then i'll have four of
them (green houses)
to pump out flats and trays of plants since
i am going commercial this year.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/GARDEN2003.jpg

Raven
02-14-2008, 02:37 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/RavensGarden.jpg

Goose
02-14-2008, 04:26 PM
sweet Raven sweet.:)

Raven
02-14-2008, 04:43 PM
well i'll be dammed :btu: heh heh heh

it does get sweeter after a little frost....
in the fall garden anyways.

Jenn
02-14-2008, 06:23 PM
tomatoes, cukes, onions, peppers, squash, potatoes (oh I can taste them now), some greens, radish, beans, peas.......never had much luck with melons though.....

Squid kids Dad
02-14-2008, 06:38 PM
I used to have one all the time..I think I'll start again this spring..
Raven...Looks sweet

Raven
02-14-2008, 06:43 PM
what has motivated you to come to this decision?

And Jenn melons from my experience love a really fertile soil
and my best sucess was with foliar feeding until the roots reached an under ground compost pile beneath the melon plant

Squid kids Dad
02-14-2008, 06:50 PM
I just love the fresh veggies..especially the green and yellow beans

Jenn
02-14-2008, 06:56 PM
melons from my experience love a really fertile soil

yeah.....sounds about right seeing as though we dont have that here!!!!

Goose
02-14-2008, 07:19 PM
I do the regular tomatoes, cukes, zucchini and green peppers,,,a couple different herbs too. Raven, how important do you think it is to rotate your veggies?,, in other words, plant cukes where tomatoes were the previous year.

Squid kids Dad
02-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Your place sounds awesome.....:kewl:

gone fishin
02-14-2008, 07:27 PM
I had a garden - peas - groundhog - cukes - grounhog - beans - another groundhog - squash - grounhog gettin fat - zuchini - groundhog getting fatter - tomatoes - %$%$%$%$ty groundhog. Wifes flower garden was huge before the groundhogs ate everything starting with sprouts to high phlox.:yak5:

Dead groundhog! Two came to the burial, another huge dead groundhog, the final groundhog is dead in his holes, agway bombs, It took six to get him. The crop was a failure, but the freakin hogs were healthy til lead poisoning took over.:jump1:

This was the fourth year with the same problem. next year -we go to the farmers market.:wall:

missing link
02-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Our family will start an Organic garden this year raised beds and container for JR's health got compost started and have a connection to organic compost, Lettuce , Spinach, Peas, Beans, Tomatoes, Kale Garlic, Carrots ,, salad stuff and fixins for soup maybe some potatoes(SWEET) , My back yard gets Killer sun but I think I'll need morning sun till 2pm I have one spot that wiil fit , trial & error?
and the fish guts will help .
Link and the Linksters

Raven
02-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Blam ! with a scope.... agway devices sound fun tho

i used to have to skip a twenty-two long rifle bullet on the ground
just before his hole for gophers because otherwise they friggan duck the bullet if you tried a head shot
..... so by skipping the shot on the dirt you'd get them in the head everytime.

One of my motivations is of course the price of food
..and wanting it ultimately fresh as in "cut ten minutes ago"... and i thoroughly enjoy
walking thru a grocery store seeing their prices that i don't have to pay.

justplugit
02-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Dead groundhog! Two came to the burial

LMAO. Don, i can picture it in my mind's eye. :rotf3:

ProfessorM
02-15-2008, 09:28 AM
I once killed a wood chuck with a shovel. He dug his hole right in the middle of the garden. I ran the hose into the hole till he had to come up for air and not drown and crowned him with the shovel. I feel bad for that still to this day. I should have shot him.
Melons need to be started indoors, but not too early, same with water melons too. Make sure they get all day sun. I grow both and they are the best you will ever eat. Sweet. I can't even bring the musk melons into the house because the smell gets too strong. One year I did 10 varieties, too much. I am down to 2 of each now. Almost time to hit the seed catalogs. I start all my own stuff by seed in my sun room. I am going to get my 7 year old involved this year, although I know she won't be interested in weeding. I can actually say I enjoy gardening as much as fishing. I also have apples, peaches, black and red raspberries, blackberries, pears, rhubarb, and my fav blueberries. If you can you should put some asparagus in as stores can't touch the flavor of fresh picked. I also have many:doh: landscape plants and at least 100 varieties:hs: of Rhododendrons another passion of mine. Many are hidden around the yard so the wife won't kill me. I will be pruning within the next month. Come on spring.

Swimmer
02-15-2008, 11:50 AM
The pics are awesome Scott. I cut down on the nine organic raised beds I have to four last year, not including two raised strawberry beds. I have had this thing about peppers in the last few years. I only did one bed last year but they were awesome. Got the seeds from organic red,yellow, orange and green peppers imported from Israel. They grow huge and are very thick hulled. Just four tomato plants last year. I need some compost to nurture the beds.

This doesn't include my Atlantic Giant pumpkins I grew. Three last, probably four this year.

When I retire in a couple of years I will go to town full steam ahead.

Jimbo
02-15-2008, 12:18 PM
I've had a small garden for a number of years but I'll be moving the operation and expand due to a new dog in the yard. I like having Rosemary, Parsely, Oregano, horseradish and garlic going. Also, beans and peas, different varieties of tomatoes and peppers, but my hands down pet crop is I keep a rotation of beets going until late fall. Plain beets are like candy, pickled- - -OMG!!! and when you price them in the supermarket it makes you appreciate them even more. I'm going to set up the new garden like the one in the Farmer's Almanac. I also plant pumpkins and other squashes and just let their vines make their way where they want in the yard.

chris L
02-15-2008, 12:54 PM
I might be movin' to Montana soon
Just to raise me up a crop of
Dental Floss

Raisin' it up
Waxen it down
In a little white box
That I can sell uptown

By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,
But I'd be raisin' my lonely
Dental Floss

Raisin' my lonely
Dental Floss

Well I just might grow me some bees
But I'd leave the sweet stuff
To somebody else . . . but then, on the other hand I would

Keep the wax
'N melt it down
Pluck some Floss
'N swish it aroun'

I'd have me a crop
An' it'd be on top (that's why I'm movin' to Montana)

Movin' to Montana soon
Gonna be a Dental Floss tycoon (yes I am)
Movin' to Montana soon
Gonna be a mennil-toss flykune

I'm pl#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&' the ol'
Dennil Floss
That's growin' on the prairie
Pl#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&' the floss!
I plucked all day an' all nite an' all
Afternoon . . .

I'm ridin' a small tiny hoss
(His name is MIGHTY LITTLE)
He's a good hoss
Even though