View Full Version : Fishing sayings

eelman
02-14-2008, 05:26 PM
My favorites...

"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process". ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

"Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend". ~Zenna Schaffer

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot". ~Steven Wright

"There are two types of fisherman - those who fish for sport and those who fish for fish".

"Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl". ~Ernest Hemingway

"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming". ~John Steinbeck

"Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish". ~Herbert Hoover

afterhours
02-14-2008, 05:43 PM
" is that an eel in your pocket or are you happy to see me...."

Flaptail
02-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Fish and men are just alike, they both get in trouble when they open thier mouths.

Nebe
02-14-2008, 07:35 PM
'many men fish there whole lives without knowing it is not fish that they are after'

nightfighter
02-14-2008, 07:56 PM
"The stripers are there, in the reefs looking for lobsters and other things to eat, and they’ll stay there all night long. But you can die out there. It’s dangerous. You have to know what you’re doing.” RHM

animal
02-14-2008, 10:09 PM
"The stripers are there, in the reefs looking for lobsters and other things to eat, and they’ll stay there all night long. But you can die out there. It’s dangerous. You have to know what you’re doing.” RHM

D'OH!:bl:

ridler72
02-14-2008, 11:23 PM
"Dude, your intense". Anonymous

Willy G.
02-14-2008, 11:37 PM
"Fishing is like sex--the less you get, the more you lie."

least favorite: "that's why they call it fishing, not catching"--some goog at the end of a p-boat trip will also say that, and it means that it's been a slow day:whackin:

ThomCat
02-15-2008, 07:50 AM
"The act of fishing simplified is a jerk at one end of a line waiting for a jerk on the other":fishin:
I dunno who said it but I think he was speaking directly to me.:rotf2:

ThrowingTimber
02-15-2008, 08:04 AM
describning individuals who are under the impression they know more or land more fish than they actually do.

" He's no threat to the species." Paul Gillis Senior

fishsmith
02-15-2008, 08:17 AM
"That's why they call it fishing not catching"

johnny ducketts
02-15-2008, 08:24 AM
How bout this classic:

"Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down to the pond and chasing bluegills and tommycocks. This shark, swallow you whole. No shakin', no tenderizin', down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's too many captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing."

CaptMike
02-15-2008, 08:57 AM
I think Jimmy Houston said that, thomcat.

"early to bed, early to rise fish all day, make up lies"

"eat, sleep, fish"

The Iceman 6
02-15-2008, 09:12 AM
"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle."

P. Hewson

Goose
02-15-2008, 09:26 AM
I can't remember any saysing so I thought I'ld make some up.:rolleyes:

I wish a had a fish in a dish.

Give a man a fish he might eat it or give it away.

Show a man to fish he'll likely still give the fish away.

Fishing is best when the wind is from the west, south, east, north, west, SW, SE, NE, NW, NE NS, SN.

Boat = Break out another thousand.(that one is to good ,I didn't make it up)

'Bait then cut fish'.... people got it all mixed up.

Watch out for tha*&%(bubbles)$#!(gulp)&@* waaaave. :wave:

The Dad Fisherman
02-15-2008, 10:08 AM
"If fishing is a Sport, You're looking at an Athlete"

Mr. Sandman
02-15-2008, 10:33 AM
"My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

BassDawg
02-15-2008, 10:47 AM
"Don't tell anyone from the net your spot. That's how we keep landing big fish, we keep our producers to ourselves ~3 or 4 guys tops, my surf brothers." ~~Iron Mike, slightly paraphrased.

"BIG BAIT equals BIG FISH" ~~anonymous

One of my alltime favorites from JimmySly when asked about his LAHHHGE boatfish from 2006,
"Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels, big enuff to make small children run scared."

"Hey mang, jou gonna keep that bluefeesh?" ~~some Latino dude that came outta nowhere on the rocks of Rhody about two seconds before i was about to release sum boo.

"THERE ARE NO FEESH IN RI!!" ~~SOL, Rhody Forum

"Boat fish don't count!" ~~anonymous

"Peace and Prosperity again" ~~SkitterPop

These are just off of the top of my head, i'm sure i'm leaving out some of nebe's finest gems and several others from both forums. When i get home i'll hit the books and come up with some more..........

BassDawg
02-15-2008, 10:50 AM
"The act of fishing simplified is a jerk at one end of a line waiting for a jerk on the other":fishin:
I dunno who said it but I think he was speaking directly to me.:rotf2:

Pretty sure it was Mark Twain, gents.

zimmy
02-15-2008, 11:23 AM
"fishy fishy in the brook, come and bite my little hook"
Uncle Harvey ( God rest his soul :) )

Blitzseeker
02-15-2008, 01:16 PM
5 Year Old Me: "Grandpa, what kind of fish will we catch?"

My Grandpa: "It doesn't matter."

This from a guy who was one of the top musky fishermen in Western PA in the 1950s through 1970s, but who would sit with me when I was a little kid for hours fishing corn for carp on the Alleghany River.

BassDawg
02-15-2008, 05:45 PM
"We are waiting for the long-promised invasion. So are the fishes." ~~Churchill, October 1940.

"Angling is somewhat like poetry, men are to be born so." ~~Izaak Walton, The Compleat Angler

"Poets talk about 'spots of time,' but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a bitch forever."

"One reason Paul caught more fish than anyone else was that he had his flies in the water more than anyone else. 'Brother,' he would say, 'there are no flying fish in Montana. Out here, you can't catch fish with your flies in the air.'"

"All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible."
~~all three are from the inimitable Norman Maclean, A River Runs through It

"May the bait rise up to meet you,
The SURF; yer ready and faithful steed.
Many a fifty fare well to greet you,
The trophy; worthy of all thy deeds."~~anonymous

"There are other things in life besides fishing the striper surf. Let me see......" ~~Frank Daignault, Striper Surf

tautog
02-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Over the rail and into the pail

Can't cook em if you don't hook em

Raider Ronnie
02-15-2008, 06:30 PM
"If it smells like fish, it's a dish,
If it smells like cologne, leave it alone"
:rotf2:

Pete F.
02-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Catch and release, into the grease.

Surfpirate
02-15-2008, 08:17 PM
THE OCEAN MAY TIP THIS BOAT, BUT ONLY THE PASSENGERS CAN TIP THE CREW!

ProfessorM
02-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Where the hell are the fish?
What a waste of gas

numbskull
02-15-2008, 09:20 PM
The ocean is large, and so full of fish,
if a fellow is patient he might get his wish.

Dr Suess

Nebe
02-15-2008, 09:31 PM
"got another one"

goosefish

:hs:

Surfpirate
02-15-2008, 10:09 PM
AUTHOR: Frank Mundus
QUOTATION: This is it. There are no world records after this.
ATTRIBUTION: On fellow fisherman Donnie Brad#^&#^&#^&#^&’s landing of a 17-foot, 3,450-pound great white shark, believed to be the largest ever caught with rod and reel, Sports Illustrated 18 Aug 86

Gunpowder
02-16-2008, 01:55 AM
The world is 3/4 ocean and 1/4 land... so clearly God intended for man to fish 75% of the time and work no more than 25% of the time.

thewaterfordstriper
02-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Should have been here yesterday.

Goose
02-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Fish and visitors stink after 3 days

bassballer
02-16-2008, 09:06 PM
"some women smell like fish"

what??? im sorry i had to.

Rob Rockcrawler
02-16-2008, 09:06 PM