View Full Version : Habs Needles (Top water or sub-surface)

cow tamer
02-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Even with a slow retrieve, my Habs tend to ride along the surface. How do you swim your Habs?

luds
02-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Swim them however you want. That's the beauty of a needle that sinks....you can't fish it at any depth.....just vary your retrieve until you find what is right.

spence
02-15-2008, 05:54 PM
You can also give it a countdown after the cast depending on the depth. Let it sink, then reel in slowly...

-spence

Fishpart
02-15-2008, 07:27 PM
How to FISH a HAB'S NEEDLEFISH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People have asked me how to fish a HAB'S NEEDLEFISH. It was DESIGNED to be VERSATILE. In other words fish all areas of the water column. Some say it's only to use in the rough, white water. It is excellent in the rough, white water. But, you are missing out if you don't fish it the calm waters... It is deadly!!!! Cast out, reeling as fast as you can until the line is tight. With the rod tip help high, now you start your retrieve. The slower the better. So slow you're bored. It will stay on top or just under the surface with nose out of water. With every five to ten retrieves you can give it a twitch. You can also fish mid-depths and close to the bottom by letting it sink, and then reeling in slow. Hope this info helps. THANKS and GOOD FISHING
Over the Last Several Years HAB'S NEEDLEFISH Have Caught More "Confirmed" 30, 40, 50, and even 60 pound Striped Bass than any other Wooden Needlefish on the Market today. 2 Over 50lbs. and 1 Over 60lbs. in 2005 alone........... "HOOK UP WITH HAB'S" Your Best Bet For BIG BASS.....

DJ Muller
02-15-2008, 07:39 PM
I have found it has many uses and is very versitile. If the bottom is boulder strewn with depressions (where bass can hold or ambush) and good moving current I like it faster with ocaisional twitch. It usually rides the surface. They will rise to it. I feel the quicker retrieve when bass are present also incurs quick reactionary strikes. I think that is what makes Slug's so effective too...the speed.
At other times where the bottom is mostly sand I let it sink and then reel extremely slow with ocaisional jerks and pauses to create puffs of sand, since there is less hard structure I rely on the puffs and slow retrieve to attract curious (and hopefully hungry) fish to my offering.
BTW-I have a load of confidence in Hab's needles, AH is bringing up the rear.