View Full Version : Hydra Sports 22 Ocean skiff??

Jamie M
10-07-2002, 11:01 AM
Does anyone here know anything about this boat? I'm looking at a 1998 Hydra Sports 22 foot Ocean Skiff center console with a 1998 175 Johnson. I usually do my boating in tight to the south side of Fishers Island, throwing eels and plugs into the rocks, and I only go out on nice days. I've been thinking about upgrading my 19-footer for something I can take to Montauk, or even Block, on days when the wind is less than 5 mph.

It looked like a pretty nice hull design. A nice deep vee in the bow, with sides that flared out nicely, giving the impression of a very dry ride. Also, the sides were a good 10 inches higher than my knees, which was appealing.

The price is very reasonable, and I'm taking the rig for a test drive soon. Looking for any available input.

10-09-2002, 07:50 AM
Jamie,
I don't know much about that particular model, but the Hydra-Sports are decent boats and if it's a 22' and in good condition and running well you shouldn't have any problems hitting Montauk or BI on nice days. Is this a Skiff, Modified V, or Deep V hull?

Jamie M
10-09-2002, 10:57 AM
179 -

Thnaks for your response.

Hydra-sports calls it a skiff, but by that they mean that the inner liner isn't as solid (and thus the boat isn't as rugged or heavy) as your Scout or other higher-end boat. It's a true deep-vee hull, transom deadrise is 19 degrees, and it's not very tippy at all. I actually did a charter trip on this model once, and we rode from Groton, CT to Montauk, and it was a very dry, stable ride.

The whole rig (hull, Johnson 175, galvanized trailer) is 1998, and it has seen very little use (hour meter says 150 hours). The person who bought it spared no expense in terms of adding bells and whistles, but never used it. He's wealthy enough where he just wants to get rid of it. I think I can get it for $12,000, which is not a bad price for a rig that will be a lot more comfortable than my 19-footer.