View Full Version : computer question

Nebe
02-16-2008, 08:25 PM
I make stuff for a living and to optimize productivity, i have to make production lists. I do it the old school way.. Large calenders and write it all out.

how can i do this on my computer?

I have a lot of orders for 2 products in 3 styles with 4 color options..

is this something that I would do in a spreadsheet program??

RIROCKHOUND
02-17-2008, 11:20 AM
You could just do excel, it's the easiest spreadsheet.
OR try google calender. it will email you reminders, so you could enter the orders in and have them emailed the day before...
glad to see that the show went well?

talk later

Nebe
02-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Hound i am still down here... I have one more day, but yeah, the shows doing good..

stripersnipr
02-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Outlook calendar may work for you.

timf
02-18-2008, 02:37 AM
Nebe,

I take it that you want to organize the building of items based on certain criteria (ex. type, color, size). The best way to do it is to setup excel with columns that contain columns for each criteria along with a column for order number. You can then sort the list based on how you make things. Drop me a pm if you want more info or want help building the spreadsheet.

t

spence
02-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Nebe,

It would be helpful to understand your business drivers, production and sales objectives and impediments that most impact productivity.

Once we've established a baseline, we can look for ways to optimize your process focusing on the high priority areas that will have the most business impact.

Excel may be a good tool, but if it doesn't help you fix the problems then it's just another way to write stuff down.

-spence

RIROCKHOUND
02-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Excel may be a good tool, but if it doesn't help you fix the problems then it's just another way to write stuff down.
-spence

Nebe, good to hear it's going well.. throwing a new 'light' on lots of situations I hope.
check in when you get back.

Spence, I agree re: the writing down comment, but the more complicated it gets, the less our flaky, whack-job, hippy, artist/buddy can work with it :wave::tooth::tooth::tooth: don't confuse the glass blower :D:D:D

Saltheart
02-18-2008, 09:19 AM
You want to lerabn about PERT Charts. In management science books there are techniques to do what you want. The techniques help you get the things scheduled so you maximize the use of your resources. I think you can even find stuff online but if not just go to borders and read about it. Its fairly simple for a small opperation like yours. No insult by saying you are small cause people like UPS , mobil oil , and the Army use these kinds of techniques but they work just fine for small businesses too.

Theres also something called CRP (capacity requirement planning) , you can read about that too. does the same things essentially , but maybe more modern but maybe a little harder or not depending on your exact needs.

Nebe
02-18-2008, 11:14 PM
thanks for all the tips guys. tim, i'll give the spreadsheet a try.
Spence, my sales objectives are simply to stay in business :buds:

So far so good..

heres a peek at the lamps.

gone fishin
02-19-2008, 01:05 AM
Google a sales tool that is called Shark. I used it for many years when I was selling. I am sure you will find exactly what you are looking for there.:rtfm:
Excell is a good tool, but you are looking for sales help not bookkeeping I think.:rtfm:

zacs
02-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Excell is a good tool, but you are looking for sales help not bookkeeping I think.:rtfm:

i don't think sales help is the problem. sounds to me like he is looking more for production planning tool, and possibly some sort of inventory management & order fulfillment deal.

i would like to help, but it is not my area of expertise. i would think a well planned and organized spreadsheet would help a lot.

sorry.

RIROCKHOUND
02-19-2008, 09:22 AM
heres a peek at the lamps.

illuminating!
:tooth:

Nebe
02-19-2008, 09:38 AM
i don't think sales help is the problem. sounds to me like he is looking more for production planning tool, and possibly some sort of inventory management & order fulfillment deal.

i would like to help, but it is not my area of expertise. i would think a well planned and organized spreadsheet would help a lot.

sorry.

zach's got it. :D

there is a trick to selling at these shows though.. the more you have in a group, the more you will sell. also the more options you have, the more chances you have of selling more work.

The Iceman 6
02-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Eben -

Build and store all your information in a database. In the long run you'll be thankful...

Ice

spence
02-19-2008, 05:59 PM
I don't think a database is necessary. As Zacs said, this is really about production planning...

Nebe, buy me a Taco and I can help.

-spence