View Full Version : tuna ??

pal156
02-20-2008, 10:59 AM
I was wondering which you prefer to use a spreader bar,or daisy chains

beamie
02-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Both, bars and chains with birds. vary the spread. Sometimes depends on your size of boat. Set rigs at various depths from the stern so when making turns they have less chance of fouling each other.

pal156
02-20-2008, 11:09 AM
i'm running a 18.5 seafox

keeperreaper
02-20-2008, 11:13 AM
I run mostly bars staggered so like BJ said I can make turns. I run a 21' boat so it is not big. I think you get more bang for your buck due to the increased profile of the spread with bars versus chains. Many others run birds and chains and do well. Experiment.

thefishingfreak
02-20-2008, 07:20 PM
4 bars @15 squid each= 60 lures in the water
8 bars=120 lures

4 daisey chains=20 lures
what spread looks better?

you can run 4 bars on any boat no problem. rocket launcher add two more. with outriggers you can run 8 noooooo problem.

keeperreaper
02-20-2008, 07:42 PM
8 bars=120 lures

4 daisey chains=20 lures

you can run 4 bars on any boat no problem. rocket launcher add two more. with outriggers you can run 8 noooooo problem.

Thank you! Exactly. FF we need to tooooona fish sometime
!!

Raider Ronnie
02-20-2008, 08:17 PM
8 bars=120 lures

4 daisey chains=20 lures

As we say,
"Stacking the odds"

big jay
02-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Put 7 fresh Mackeral on a daisy chain on one side and a plastic squid bar on the other - which do you think is gonna get his first:)

Raider Ronnie
02-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Put 7 fresh Mackeral on a daisy chain on one side and a plastic squid bar on the other - which do you think is gonna get his first:)

Or locate some fish and yo yo some macs!

thefishingfreak
02-20-2008, 10:28 PM

I say Pffttt...
You'll have to prove it. When WE going. :grins:

Raider Ronnie
02-20-2008, 10:31 PM
I say Pffttt...
You'll have to prove it. When WE going. :grins:

Trying to hoe a ride on a very nice Duffy !
Make sure you tell him you need your crew!

thefishingfreak
02-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Who,,,, Bradley :rotf3:
I'm workin this corner back off :hee:

pal156
02-20-2008, 10:53 PM
thanks for the info

Van
02-21-2008, 09:21 AM
On a smaller boat (like my 21' and yours) run as many bars as you can without tangling. More noise the better....

I can get 4 out using my two "homemade" custom outriggers.
But, even that is tricky if its rough out there.

I've not had much lke with chains compared to bars.
Do you make your own or buy them?
I will be building more bars in the next month or so......., hurry up spring.....I CAN'T WAIT !!!!!

Good Luck.
Post pics (only of fish you actually catch;; not a friends fish!!! LOL)

keeperreaper
02-21-2008, 09:28 AM
On a 21 with outriggers and someone in the 'pit you should be able to run 6 rods no problem and 9 if you go subsurface. It only gets nuts and confusing if you get a greyhounding fish to wrap everything up. I don't and won't run the full spread if there are novices or people with limited experience with me. That being said a 5 rod spread is very, VERY effective.
9 Rod spread= 4 off the riggers, 2 off the corners, 2 deep, and one WTF back!

pal156
02-21-2008, 10:07 AM
for this year i will probably run 2 rods,because that is what the budget will allow,unless i hit the lottery.:rotf3::rotf3:

pal156
02-21-2008, 10:08 AM
i will buy the bars for now

keeperreaper
02-21-2008, 10:14 AM
When we first strated we ran 2 bars and caught. It can be done plus you will learn a ton about the characteristics of the bars and the way they run in accordance to your boat. Good luck. -Matt

thefishingfreak
02-21-2008, 12:49 PM
run 2 bars off the side rodholders or whichever puts the rod tips up highest. run them back as far as you can without the bars digging in and staying under. if they go under on the big waves don't worry about it. don't worry about the line in the water in front of them.
Run them so when you turn the front bar is about five feet in front of the back one..

like this.
---------------------------------------------{{{

----------------------------------{{{

fish4striper
02-21-2008, 01:23 PM
run 2 bars off the side rodholders or whichever puts the rod tips up highest. run them back as far as you can without the bars digging in and staying under. if they go under on the big waves don't worry about it. don't worry about the line in the water in front of them.
Run them so when you turn the front bar is about five feet in front of the back one..

like this.

you seem to be getting pumped up :bl:

Pal, Where you fish?

pal156
02-21-2008, 05:17 PM
race point,buzzards bay but will go most anywhere if needed

thefishingfreak
02-21-2008, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=fish4striper;567460]you seem to be getting pumped up :bl:
[QUOTE]
I am pumped.... I'll have paa-lenty of time to fish this year...

this how we run 8 rods

----------------------------------------------------------{{{-
------------------------------------------------{{{-
-------------------------------------{{{-
-------------------------{{{-
---------------{{{-
--------------------------------{{{-
--------------------------------------------{{{-
-------------------------------------------------------{{{-
-------------------------------------------------------------------{{{-

they never tangle, most of the fish will hit it and go strait to the bottom. but i seen chatham fish bolt sideways.
the furthest ones go back as far as you can get them then set the others five feet ahead of each other stagered.
about 5 knots 1700-1900 rpm. mess with the rpm's a tiny bit till you get it right {catch one} then carve a notch in the tach. that is where you need to be, all the time,,, not 100 rpm over or under just right..

chinese fire drill with only three guys, but hey it works.

thefishingfreak
02-21-2008, 06:41 PM
and you can use 6/0 or 9/0 black beauty penns. they don't have to be gold. this one was on a 9/0
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/thefishingfreak/DSC02891.jpg

pal156
02-21-2008, 08:34 PM
nice fish

keeperreaper
02-22-2008, 09:18 AM
This is the nine rod spread and the 5 rod spread.
----------------------------------------------------------{{{-
------------------------------------------------{{{-
-------------------------------------{{{-
----------------------------{{{- (down deep)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------{{{- (way back)
--------------------{{{-(down deep)
--------------------------------{{{-
--------------------------------------------{{{-
-------------------------------------------------------------------{{{-

5 rod

-------------------------------------------------{{{-
-----------------------------------------------------------------{{{-
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------{{{- (way back)
------------------------------------{{{-

The 5 rod spread above is probably the most used spread in the small boat fleet due to it ease of deployment.

keeperreaper
02-22-2008, 09:21 AM
the furthest ones go back as far as you can get them then set the others five feet ahead of each other stagered.
about 5 knots 1700-1900 rpm. mess with the rpm's a tiny bit till you get it right {catch one} then carve a notch in the tach. that is where you need to be, all the time,,, not 100 rpm over or under just right..

FF thats good advice. Nice spread description too.:kewl:

taJon
02-22-2008, 03:19 PM
mike you're killing me with those pics. now run the spread with no outriggers :(

thefishingfreak
02-22-2008, 03:37 PM
there's no outriggers on that boat in the pic it's a 22' wellcraft. he runs 5 rods one up in the rocket launcher funny when one hits the top rod and all you hear is drag screamin but none of the rods are bent. then you finally look up and it's 1/2 spooled allready

on riff-raff we got this huge teaser tied off the cleat about ten feet back. looks like a huge marlin lure about a foot long and big wide as a dinner plate makes all kinds of commotion. looks like a seal chasing the boat.

----------------------------------------------------{{{-
----------------------------------{{{-
no outriggers
---------------------------------------------{{{-
---------------------------------------------------------------{{{-

keeperreaper
02-22-2008, 04:59 PM
taJon,

I fully expect many photos of tuna on the World cat this year. No excuses.:fishslap:

02-22-2008, 05:30 PM
When I was fishing for Tuna up that way I always used artificials in a 3-4 rod spread. It always worked well but many of the fish I caught were smaller football sized. Here in the Outer Banks I have learned to rig ballyhoo, I have never had a tuna take a artificial over a rigged bait. I am not sure how this will work out in New England's waters but I can not wait to try it.

fish4striper
02-22-2008, 06:44 PM
I bought some sea witches to run with Bally. Anyone know how to rig these skirts? Do you just put the bally behind the big side of the skirt? Do you need a head to run with these skirts?

I'm lost w/o pictures :smash:

keeperreaper
02-22-2008, 07:02 PM
You want the head of the witch facing forward up the line and the long hair should bend backwards around the 'hoo.

keeperreaper
02-22-2008, 07:06 PM
like this.

Van
02-22-2008, 07:25 PM

like this.

I am modifying a couple of rigs that will stay up even when....way--way--way--way back !!!! I find the furthest back gets the hits. So hopefully the further the better..

thefishingfreak
02-22-2008, 07:46 PM
put pipe insulation in them
Blow foam don't work trust me:fishslap:

fish4striper
02-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Matt,

So the head/nose of the bally goes in the small skirt and the large skirt folds back over it? See storm in the pic, lack of fresh bally around:D

02-23-2008, 08:18 AM
A good site to learn about rigging ballyhoo.
http://www.daybreakfishing.com/Tutorials/Ballyhoo1.htm

big jay
02-23-2008, 09:07 AM
I bought some sea witches to run with Bally. Anyone know how to rig these skirts? Do you just put the bally behind the big side of the skirt? Do you need a head to run with these skirts?

I'm lost w/o pictures :smash:

Jeff-

I'll be at massbass and risaa working the booth with my Dad - I'll throw a ballyrig in my bag - stop by and I'll show you how to rig them.

keeperreaper
02-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Matt,

So the head/nose of the bally goes in the small skirt and the large skirt folds back over it? See storm in the pic, lack of fresh bally around:D

You got it. Did we run ballyhoo the day you came out? I have some step by step pics if you want them and all the different ways to rig them.. Give me a call.

Fishin' Blues
02-23-2008, 10:01 AM
This thread rawks! Thanks for sharing.

Hooper
02-23-2008, 03:17 PM
and you can use 6/0 or 9/0 black beauty penns. they don't have to be gold. this one was on a 9/0
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/thefishingfreak/DSC02891.jpg

HOLY SCH-NIKEESS! :btu:

Van
02-23-2008, 03:47 PM
put pipe insulation in them
Blow foam don't work trust me:fishslap:
:uhuh::uhuh::uhuh::uhuh::uhuh::uhuh:

Blown foam is messy sticky crap. It won't last in water anyway.
I ordered some "special stuff" Just about done with the 18s, should work great.

I'm gonna do some 13s too.

BTW...NICE FISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thefishingfreak
02-23-2008, 03:49 PM
that was 68"
this one was 82"
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/thefishingfreak/Tuna7-15-0711-2.jpg

Van
02-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Your killing me..............:hs::hs::hs:

Showing nice fish when I just finished shoveling that white crap.:af::af::af:

How many months left????:fishin::fishin:

:doh::doh::fury::fury::wall::wall:

Hooper
02-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Did the 82" go to market?

thefishingfreak
02-23-2008, 05:24 PM
yes

nightfighter
02-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Freak's gonna school me this year......

Hooper
02-23-2008, 05:56 PM
yes

freaks me out, nice fish!:btu:

fish4striper
02-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks Guys, wish I could make the show but gotta visit the parents in Maine that weekend, big anniversary. Matt, thanks for the call.

I remember those pics Mike, nice fish