View Full Version : ocrakoke

niko
02-24-2008, 12:18 PM
i'm putting together a trip w/ a buddy and was wondering what is the best time to go down to target big redfish. anyone fished that area? when is the spring/fall migration for them? thanks, paul

Gunpowder
02-24-2008, 01:38 PM
i know the time when people head to florida for big game fish runs is from april to june.... not sure how different it would be for NC though.

zimmy
02-24-2008, 02:14 PM
April is when I would target. Often they will show on the south point of ocracoke in late March. Usually 2nd or 3rd week of April through middle of May give you a good chance to have the right conditions. Its all about weather. Water temp is key. If the winds go hard from the north or west and push the warm water back out it shuts off. Water temps can drop 10+ degrees in a tide. It can take days (or more like a lifetime) of good sw blow to push the warm water back in. I've been going most springs for last 8 years or so and it is such a mixed bag with the weather that you just go and if the weather cooperates you count your blessings. When it is good it is unbelievable.

GunnySniper
02-24-2008, 10:17 PM
I spent 16 years down there, met and made friends with lots of locals. I got invited to spend some time at a private cottage, beach front. Most of these guy's don't even bother with the heavers, until October. Waxing to full into waining. If you want Big reds on the Island, book your trip on both sides of the full moon in October.

zimmy
02-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Gunnysniper: The drum are definately spread all over the beach in the fall, where as the spring they are isolated to a few spots. However, if you want a shot at 20-50+lbers blitzing the points for hours on end, the spring run is not to be missed. I can't stand the thought of missing it, although it is a 99% chance I won't make it this year.