View Full Version : Conrad Sr.

Tagger
02-24-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm really lagging behind this year .. I'm making Conrad Sr.'s out of white pine .. With 8-10 grams of lead in the belly like "metal lip" suggested I'm going to end up with a plug that weighs 2.4 naked .. (no hooks) .. My model ,, an original Pichney weighs 2.9 naked..Shouldn't I be weighing in around 4 ounces dressed ?

ProfessorM
02-24-2008, 03:09 PM
I would think. George likes to make them float exactly like the original. Float the SR you have and make the clone float the same way I guess. I have not weighted my copies yet. Its' on my list, just way behind. I am sure G. will chime in with some profound wisdom. Let us know how you make out.

numbskull
02-24-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm really lagging behind this year .. I'm making Conrad Sr.'s out of white pine .. With 8-10 grams of lead in the belly like "metal lip" suggested I'm going to end up with a plug that weighs 2.4 naked .. (no hooks) .. My model ,, an original Pichney weighs 2.9 naked..Shouldn't I be weighing in around 4 ounces dressed ?

BBJ's original Pichney Conrad sr (which was one sweet swimming plug) weighed 3.23 oz without hooks, the jr I have weighs 2.2 oz unrigged. The hardwood bluesilver one I made and you saw weighs 4.2 oz rigged, and swims/fished pretty well. While struggling with the small ones I finally gave up an just turned a body, drilled a big hole, and added enough weight to bring the plug up to spec. with the original. Haven't done that yet with the big one. When I do I'm planning to use soft maple and shoot for 3.23 oz(the brown Sr one you took from me was pine and was too light with the correct sized weight (which is 3/8 x 13/16") so I had to add a small tail and chin weight to get it floating deeply enough). The plugs should float level with the water line at the top of the tail and at the lip slot (although I've since heard of a jr that sinks nose down (which is what my hard maple ones did with just the weight of the hooks and lip). The original pine jr has about 12-13grams of lead in it (I have not xrayed a maple one), and the original Sr has about 17 grams of lead (then drilled through) in it........but again, I think the shape and finished weight and float angle is more important than exact amounts of lead.

Crap, that's too long for you to bother with, Eddy. Just shoot for 4oz rigged and floating level and you should be OK.

Tagger
02-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks for quick response .. weighing orig Pichney I was shocked ,, I thought this was a heavy weight .. I'm going for the level float half buried ...

Tagger
02-24-2008, 03:52 PM
you don't know where that xray post is ??? searching Numbskull post .. then thinking it might be in someone eleses ..

ProfessorM
02-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Here you go

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=47005&highlight=Victor

numbskull
02-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks for quick response .. weighing orig Pichney I was shocked ,, I thought this was a heavy weight .. I'm going for the level float half buried ...

Sink it deeper. 3/4 under.

Tagger
02-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Sink it deeper. 3/4 under.

I've tanked mine since posting that ,, naked it floats level at lip line wich is 1/8" higher.. yup about 3/4 dressed probably .. :agree:

ProfessorM
02-24-2008, 07:57 PM
The blue one, SR., in the frying pan has no hooks on it and looks to be at least 3/4 with out hooks for what it is worth. You can see it is sitting higher than the JR. white one which has all it's hooks. Here are a few more to make it even more confusing. 2nd picture below you can see how much deeper the hooked one, a JR., sits compared to the Sr. hookless, blue, one sits.

ProfessorM
02-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Couple more:spin::spin:

NIB
02-25-2008, 07:12 AM
The blue one, SR., in the frying pan has no hooks on it and looks to be at least 3/4 with out hooks for what it is worth. You can see it is sitting higher than the JR. white one which has all it's hooks. Here are a few more to make it even more confusing. 2nd picture below you can see how much deeper the hooked one, a JR., sits compared to the Sr. hookless, blue, one sits.

I never thought of using a pot. I stick em in the toilet..
No, there's no other floaters in there..
Eddy,Eddy,Eddy.
What is ur obssession with making a 4.5 oz plug..
I think with that lip on it, if u did toss it in the current.U might not be able to reel it back..With all that face on the lip they go down trust me.It's just a matter of how deep/how heavy..
I made a jr went 2.8 I had to grind the original shaped lip down so I coud fish it the thing went too deep..with way to much side to side.

ProfessorM
02-25-2008, 12:19 PM
That is good to know T.. Thanks

Yeah Ed Come on, can't you just wing it.:huh::) Thanks

Tagger
02-25-2008, 04:39 PM
I don't know why ... I thought these were 4 ounces .. I'll get it to float decent and thats it .. I need some deep spots ... Hey Luds !!! Wazzz Up ?

Slingah
02-25-2008, 05:55 PM
god bless you guys....:musc: