View Full Version : SPINNING vs. CONVENTIONAL IN THE SURF

44mike44
02-27-2008, 07:19 PM
whos got the longer cast

Gunpowder
02-27-2008, 07:20 PM
might want to narrow down your question..... don't know if the site will hold 2000 different responses to that question.

spence
02-27-2008, 07:41 PM
You might as well be debating two vs three button suits.

-spence

numbskull
02-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Can cast further with conventional...........cause spinning tackle makes you grow breasts that get in the way.

wheresmy50
02-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Only old timers use conventional gear. The only reason to use conventional gear is for yo-yo fishing with braided line; mono just doesn't have the sensitivity.

Spinning reels are better, except for Van Staal which might be made in China. Plus you'll be able to cast lighter plugs with spinning reels. It will be more difficult to catch large bass with plugs, but once you master the craft, you'll be one step ahead of any knuckle-dragging bait soaker.

Gunpowder
02-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Only old timers use conventional gear. The only reason to use conventional gear is for yo-yo fishing with braided line; mono just doesn't have the sensitivity.

Spinning reels are better, except for Van Staal which might be made in China. Plus you'll be able to cast lighter plugs with spinning reels. It will be more difficult to catch large bass with plugs, but once you master the craft, you'll be one step ahead of any knuckle-dragging bait soaker.

i hope you are not serious..... :huh:

fishbones
02-27-2008, 10:40 PM
You might as well be debating two vs three button suits.

-spence

I'm tall, so I usually wear well tailored 3 button suits. I think they are a little more slimming, too. But, a classic 2 button is a look that never goes out of style.:uhuh:

spence
02-27-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm tall, so I usually wear well tailored 3 button suits. I think they are a little more slimming, too. But, a classic 2 button is a look that never goes out of style.:uhuh:
A three button suit may be visually more slimming but only if you have a slim/short build to begin with. For those with a broader or in the case of surfcasters, "portly" frame, a two button suit by revealing more shirt/tie will break up the mass of suit cloth and make for a more visually attractive shape.

Technically speaking, both are classic depending on the period.

As an extreme example, the ex-professional football players wearing 4-6 button suits on TV with their massive bodies just look plain silly and out of balance.

-spence

bart
02-27-2008, 11:26 PM
i hope you are not serious..... :huh:

that would be called "sarcasm"

Gunpowder
02-27-2008, 11:34 PM
that would be called "sarcasm"

i realize that :hee: just wanted to make sure that our new guest would realize that as well hence why i posted remarking that that was joking comment.

Vogt
02-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Sarcasm never comes through too well on message boards.....;)

Let the battle begin...

bloocrab
02-28-2008, 12:18 AM
This question is W-I-D-E open......

It all depends on the person casting.

If your terrible at casting a conventional, but great at casting a spinner......you will get a longer cast with the spinner.

If your great with a conventional, but not as good casting a spinner.....you will get a longer cast with the conventional.

Aren't you glad you joined this site with your one sentenced questions? We have all the answers to all the questions that will ever be asked. As an added bonus, we're also a bunch of Wise/:bshake:

Enjoy the site -

bloocrab
02-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Sarcasm never comes through too well on message boards....

What's Sarcasm???? :gf:

Is Sarcasm the stuff that oooozes out of sandworms when you bait em' for scup?

wheresmy50
02-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Yes, sarcasm.

44 - there's plenty of time until spring. Don't waste every controversial topic in your first week.

OLD GOAT
02-28-2008, 07:51 AM
wheresmy50 Dude your handle says it all.

The Dad Fisherman
02-28-2008, 08:29 AM
You guys forgot to mention Leisure Suits......maybe Tan with a Nice Blue Paisley Poly Blend shirt underneath....I consider that very slimming and a Timelss classic look. Not to menttion extremely comfortable since you don't need a tie.

A three button suit may be visually more slimming but only if you have a slim/short build to begin with. For those with a broader or in the case of surfcasters, "portly" frame, a two button suit by revealing more shirt/tie will break up the mass of suit cloth and make for a more visually attractive shape.

Technically speaking, both are classic depending on the period.

As an extreme example, the ex-professional football players wearing 4-6 button suits on TV with their massive bodies just look plain silly and out of balance.

-spence

bloocrab
02-28-2008, 08:31 AM
TDF - Get it in the famous "Pin-stripe" fashion.......that always reduces size in a visual confrontations.....just make sure the stripes are going vertical....:hf1:

The Dad Fisherman
02-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Timeless, I'm telling you....Timeless. This is styling

DZ
02-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Can cast further with conventional...........cause spinning tackle makes you grow breasts that get in the way.

Too funny Numbskull. Thanks to you and Spence I'm going to keep this ball rolling.

I use spinning tackle and back in the 1970s I was able to cast almost as far as my conventional toting brethren but only when I wore my two button suit. Then after breast reduction surgery I could get equal distance even while wearing my three button suit. But now with the advent of super braided lines for spinning reels I'm second guessing my surgery. I could have had the best of both worlds: distance with spinning and breasts, and I could even have worn my double-breasted suit!

Disclaimer: I do not encourage or endorse breast reduction surgery to keep up with those who use conventional tackle.

eelman
02-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Conventional tackle has come a long way

I have fished with revolving spool for the better part of 20 years, never once did I wish for a spinning outfit. I can cast the smallest of baits or lures and the largest, I never had a problem with wind etc..I like conventional because there is no arguing the fact that it has superior fish stopping power and more overall control. all of my surf fishing was done with conventional tackle. Most people do fish spin gear and it is much easier, it takes time to master the other but in my opinion well worth it.

Like I said, the tackle has really come a long way and you can easily do anything with casting tackle that you can do with spin...The real plus is the overall control and fish fighting power..

Oh almost forgot, your original question, I would get the same distance as spin gear if not further...

Flaptail
02-28-2008, 10:03 AM
First off, in surfcasting both spiining and conventional have thier respective places.

Casting a 4-1/2 oz jointed eel plug and putting enough umph behind it to get it where it needs to be on a spinning rod will take the top of a finger off as the drag will surely slip a bit. Gotta have a conventional outfit for that type of duty.

Spinning meanwhile will help in throwing smaller offerings when those nights occur when the fish get picky foir smaller baits.

As for casting distance from the beach the only times it really makes a difference, at least in my experience on the outer cape, is when bluefish are busting out over the bar in daylight.

99% of the time when true surfcasting is being done on an open beach in high surf the fish are at your feet so distance is almost meaningless as opposed to the action of the rod in subduing one of the beasts and getting her in through crashing waves and receding white water.

Casting for rock platforms along islands and shores strewn with boulders where very little surf but lots of obstacles abound just under the surface may give the nod to conventional gear where you leverage is greatly enhanced to get fish away from and around boulders. As my good friend George says ,"with my JK Fisher conventional and 30 pound Big game I can just move the rock if the bass goes around it".

When I plug from a boat, no matter where I am, I use conventional gear. When, as infrequently as it has become for me, I am on the canal, I use conventional, when I am on the beach in a howling N/W or N/E wind and ch#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g metal, I use conventional.

When I fish with George on rocky island shores, I use a spinning rod just to listen to him go on and on about spinning vs conventional.
I love it when he babbles on and I just look like I am paying attention but really it's all just going in one ear and out the other.

BTW they have made big strides in treating GYNOMASTIA for all you weho do not know how to throw conventional!

ThrowingTimber
02-28-2008, 10:06 AM
For me it depends on whether I plan on wading deep or not. Wading deep I'll take my spinner. (vs300)

If I'm staying higher and a bit dry 'er and fishing current I'll take my conventionals (avet sx or abu7000i).

I look at them as tools for a job and try to apply them as such.

fishbones
02-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Timeless, I'm telling you....Timeless. This is styling

Wow, those are some sweet suits. I have one like the white one in the second picture, but it only comes out between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Not only does it attract the fish, but it also works to repel unwanted advances when fishing the beaches of P-Town (where I only use a conventional).

Mike P
02-28-2008, 10:50 AM
It really doesn't make a difference any more. Use what you're comfortable using.

Braid lets spinning guys match conventional guys for distance, and the drag/gear train of offshore-type spinning reels like a Saltiga-Z or Accurate Twin-Spin can pull the guts out of most of the surf-sized conventionals. They weigh so much that you may need a truss or a back brace by the end of the season, but they also level out the "better control over a fish" advantage that conventionals have over most spinning reels.

Still, at the end of the night, you appreciate that 14 oz Newell 220 or that 15 oz Calcutta 400 more and more. There's your big advantage with conventional--weigh and ergonomics.

zimmy
02-28-2008, 12:31 PM
heavy weight :musc: conventional. Spots where I have very limited room for a backcast or if I am plugging light or expensive lures-spinning.

I sark at conventional. Here's why: I can throw jigs for hours at a time with out busting one off. However, put a 3 oz custom popper or needle on there and I am bound to get a backlash or knot and there goes a $20 (now a days $80?) plug out to sea when the braid snaps. I just can't do the custom plug on my conventionals bit without going broke or at least crying alot over a season.

If there isn't room for me to make a nice smooth backcast I snap em off... if it is valuable, I snap it off...

New spinning reels made for braid can cast as far as conventional.For me spinning wins out most, less I am throwing jigs at the canal or (gasp!) chunks or tins (for drum down south).

I only button the second button on the suit and I only have ever owned one suit and don't know about 3 button and my mams don't get in the way when I cast, but I would like real pockets for storing gear, not them fake things.

Saltheart
02-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Most fisherman can cast a spinner further.

World class casting champions use conventionals. So i gues the absolute answere is conventionals cast further if you know how to use them.

I use a conventional for the benefits after the fish hooks up.

I have no epxerience with the top of the line ($500+) spinners but I know many people who do and they like them over the conventionals for the most part. I have used Penns and Shimano and Abu spinners and to me , the conventional is way better overall as long as you are casting 1 OZ or better.

piemma
02-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Please God, let the Winter end. One more of these stupid threads and I will put a 9MM through the screen of my laptop.

JohnR
02-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Please God, let the Winter end. One more of these stupid threads and I will put a 9MM through the screen of my laptop.

If a 9MM goes through the screen of a laptop, but nobody is around to hear it, will it make a sound?

:lama:

Flaptail
02-28-2008, 02:16 PM
If a 9MM goes through the screen of a laptop, but nobody is around to hear it, will it make a sound?

:lama:

Only if it ricochets back thru the screen and puts a perfect round little red hole between your eyes:heybaby:.

DZ
02-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Ok - more on the serious side. True story: Shea Stadium in 1969, in between games of a Mets double-header (Remember doubleheader's?) there was a distance casting contest sponsored by Garcia-Mitchell Corp. I think there were 4 guys - two were using conventional reels (maybe Ambassadors) and two were using Mitchell 302 Spinning Reels. They were casting baseballs. The guys using the conventionals could cast the baseballs into the PARKING LOT. The spinning guys could barely reach home run territory. At the end of the demo they cast about 10 orange baseballs into the stands - whoever got one could turn it in for a complete surfcasting outfit of their choice. I didn't catch one. Numbskull - I was sitting high in the upper deck so it was a little too far to see if the spinning guys had enlarged breasts.

BassDawg
02-28-2008, 02:57 PM
All this talk of suits and not the single mention of the old school double breasted suit, complete with matching vest?

The vest tends to hide the mammories, but what are you conventies gonna do about the shrinkage of stones you get from going conventional? also, *don't ya have to be a senior citizen to own a cenventional reel and most definitely a BOAT guy to join the darker side of surfcasting!??*

*it takes no brass to throw conventionals, and cohones the size of watermelons to throw spinners. :kewl:*

*THANKS ~but, NO THANKS~ i'll keep my jumblies intact and outhrow any of you sissy conventies with my braid loaded 704Z.............*
:musc::p :p :musc:

oh yeah, and i agree with Nebe>>>> the ** denotes sarcasm.

Spring,
thy dreams enrich mine soul and
your glory, awaits us ALL!!

RIROCKHOUND
02-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Too funny Numbskull. I could have had the best of both worlds: distance with spinning and breasts

Would have given you something to entertain yourself with on those slow nights on the bar! :smash:

striperman36
02-28-2008, 03:04 PM
AAs an extreme example, the ex-professional football players wearing 4-6 button suits on TV with their massive bodies just look plain silly and out of balance.

-spence

And dudes on HGH like Mr. Clemens. Didn't he look friggin stupid?

spence
02-28-2008, 03:10 PM
And dudes on HGH like Mr. Clemens. Didn't he look friggin stupid?
While some of these guys may be able to wear a three button suit, they really should leave the top button undone (as I always do) to present a more graceful line. Especially considering they're most likely wearing bespoke garments with fully canvassed lapels and chest pieces.

-spence

Raven
02-28-2008, 03:31 PM
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=25673&highlight=conventional+spinning

parker23
02-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Longer distance and much better control/feel w/conv. My spinning reels rarely see the water.

chris L
02-29-2008, 01:48 PM
I did not know that SO
Im going out right now and casting my spinner till I grow breastises dammit . I always wanted my own pair instead of someone elses .

wheresmy50
02-29-2008, 03:34 PM
wheresmy50 Dude your handle says it all.

What does my handle say?