View Full Version : Sealing questions....

leptar
02-29-2008, 12:19 PM
I kinda of have a heads up on what to use by searching this forum... but for the most part I want to build some indestructible needles and pencils and epoxy sealing IMO from what i have read is the way to go.
My question regarding the epoxy sealing should you spin it or flip it? Is it even necessary to flip or spin or just apply with foam brush then sand and prime?

I will be using the Devcon 2-ton epoxy for sealing and finishing...

I'm thinking 60/40 for sealing and 95/5 for finish with denatured alcohol.

Cranium
02-29-2008, 12:23 PM
I finish with devcon. Straight out of the tube. I use one of those yellow rod brushes. make sure you give the bristles a lite pull to get out the loose ones. pain in the butt thrying to get it out of the expoxy on the plug. IMHO you dont need to spin. I flip maybe twice or three times. If I am doing a bunch, I will do three then flip the first one, four flip the second.... I have never sealed with devcon.

ProfessorM
02-29-2008, 01:23 PM
I use system 3 clear coat. Thin enough so no need for thinning to seal. You want too heat the plug in the oven at 225 for about 10 to 15 minutes. Apply the epoxy inside and out. allow to soak in for 10 min and then wipe all the excess off. I mean all of it. Get it out of the eye sockets and tail weight holes and grommet holes because once that stuff sets up it is darn near impossible to get out. I use paper towels. You might have to adjust your drill sizes to accommodate the hardware after the stuff sets up. You will figure out what sizes you like after you do a few. No need to rotate, flip as there will be nothing runny once you wipe. Just hang to dry. Light sand and prime. after paint I like to install the grommets, nose and belly then finish epoxy. I wire, lip, and tail weight after final epoxy. Hope this helps. Have fun. Paul

justplugit
02-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Spinning usually gives a smother finish, but i've seen plugs hung and flipped by Backbeach Jake that looked smoother than ones spun. :hihi:

I think the temp of the plug when it is being coated and drying is the more important thing.

ProfessorM
02-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Hope I was specific enough on above post if not I will repeat my jiberish. As far as finishing I much prefer spinning now. I did the flipping thing because that is what Mac did and I pick his brain a lot when I started. Did it for a couple years and it does work good. You just have to have the time to keep tabs on it. I spin them now and it is so much better. I can enclose the whole rig in a box, control the temp more uniformly , keep all the crap in the air off them, and not have to baby sit them. Sealing is just a hang thing for me:hang:. You might get a little run off after an hour out of the thru hole, which I just dab with a paper towel. I am sure i have completely bored everyone now:agree:

Finatic
02-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Make the needles out of PVC. No Problems

leptar
02-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks alot.. it helps and no it's not gibberish to those of us that are not in the know... :)

I am going to spin instead of flip when finishing the plug... I was just curious as to how people sealed plugs with epoxy...

Thanks again,
Paul...

ProfessorM
03-01-2008, 11:17 AM
I am no expert. I just started a few months ago myself but really like it for soft woods especially. I thought it was more of a pain which is why i never really gave it any thought, but now I feel it is pretty simple and not that messy. I asked most of the top people who use this method. Each had their little nuances. I just told you the basics from the info I got. What I like to do is when I top coat a batch I throw several naked ones in the oven. After I get the ones on the spinner done I always have epoxy left over so I usually seal up 4 or 5 every time I finish some. No wasted epoxy anymore.