View Full Version : New 225 HP Direct Inject

Fish On
03-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Just loking online at new 225 HP direct inject outboards. Prices seem to have gone up significantly since the last time I checked 2 years ago, like almost double. I thought may be the dollars fall would have affected Yamaha prices but Eveinrude seems out of sight as well.

Looking for opinions on 2007/2008 225 HP direct inject outboards. Which do you like and why? Are all the bugs worked out of direct inject by now? Where to get the best value? What would you expect to pay?

Thanks!

FO

Hooper
03-03-2008, 06:15 AM
Just loking online at new 225 HP direct inject outboards. Prices seem to have gone up significantly since the last time I checked 2 years ago, like almost double. I thought may be the dollars fall would have affected Yamaha prices but Eveinrude seems out of sight as well.

Looking for opinions on 2007/2008 225 HP direct inject outboards. Which do you like and why? Are all the bugs worked out of direct inject by now? Where to get the best value? What would you expect to pay?

Thanks!

FO

Hi FO

I owned a 2003 Evinrude DFI, a 225hp to be exact. I know you want info on the new ones, but here goes anyways. It was a great engine. I sold it with about 600 hours on it and it was flawless during the time I owned it. I paid, in February of 2003, $12,100 for that engine. I really hope they aren't looking to get $20K+ for it now...

I would buy another one. I was very happy with it.

Raider Ronnie
03-03-2008, 07:27 AM
Get an Etec !
Stay away from Yamaha 2 strokes, not that I think they are making any now !

Fish On
03-03-2008, 11:09 AM
$12K range is where I thought they were. I was shocked when I saw list price for 2008 at over $20K. Anyone else have any later news on pricing for this engine?

Thanks for the info guys!

zacs
03-03-2008, 11:34 AM
225 etec lists for $14,500 at eds.

http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/evinrude.htm

beamie
03-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Fish On,

That must have been some MSRP price that you saw? Things never sell for that. I don't even know where they get MSRP's for it is always a rediculous number.

Mr. Sandman
03-03-2008, 04:35 PM
4 strokes will run 20K

heck the big verado is pushing 30+

zacs
03-03-2008, 04:56 PM
4 strokes will run 20K

heck the big verado is pushing 30+

i don't know jim, 225 suzuki is less than etec
http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/suzuki_outboards.htm

should be able to get that for less than 15K fully rigged.

Mr. Sandman
03-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Damn that is cheap! I think I paid about 18K for a 225 yami (with install, and controls and prop) and that was a few years back.

I saw a price in a magizine review for the big verado that said 31K.

who is this guy Eds marine? Do you think somone out this way would match those prices?

Just for the hell of it, I am going to go down to my dealer here and see what they can do for me on a 350 yami and mention this ad.

Fish On
03-03-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm ready to repower from my 1995 175 HP Johnson and I'd like to max out the rating for my Hydra-sports 2150 WA at 225 HP. Frankly if I could find a 2003 - 2006 225 HP like Hooper sold that I had confidence in was not abused I would go that way and not go new. My boat is 12 years old but is still in good shape. I could stick with my existing engine but between fuel prices (old 2 stroke dumping 30% unburned), 50 extra HP, less noise, less fumes, and the security of being offshore with a much newer engine, I think it's time to repower. If anyone knows of any used engines that fit that description please let me know. I'd rather go to a dealer and get a short term warrantee as well as some cash for my Johnson in trade.

It's either that or buy a whole new rig and I think I want to wait another couple years to see how the economy shakes out before I make a committment that big since I probably couldn't control myself and I be looking at 26' and twins.

I'd consider 4 strokes as well as long as the price was right.

keeperreaper
03-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Etec or the suziki 4s. Suzuki has some engines withthat technology pushing 8K hours. That reliable. etec is lighter faster on the hole shot and comparable elsewhere. Personal preference. Zuke is quieter for sure.

zacs
03-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Damn that is cheap! I think I paid about 18K for a 225 yami (with install, and controls and prop) and that was a few years back.

I saw a price in a magizine review for the big verado that said 31K.

who is this guy Eds marine? Do you think somone out this way would match those prices?

Just for the hell of it, I am going to go down to my dealer here and see what they can do for me on a 350 yami and mention this ad.

Eds is a guy down in VA that sells boats & motors very cheap. somewhat the slimy used car sales approach, ie. get you in there with a good price and then nail you on accessories, etc. but the prices are very real, and I have read about many people using them as a gold standard bargaining chip with their local dealers for where the rock bottom pricing should be...
the prices on Ed's are for the bare motor. No prop, no controls, nothing but the bare motor.

taJon
03-04-2008, 08:56 AM
buy from your local dealer. they really don't care for Eds. I know of some that if you buy there, they won't do your service. Its best to buy what you will have the best dealer support for, especially if you need warrenty work.

zacs
03-04-2008, 09:03 AM
buy from your local dealer. they really don't care for Eds. I know of some that if you buy there, they won't do your service. Its best to buy what you will have the best dealer support for, especially if you need warrenty work.

this may be true, and for most of us, driving to Virginia isn't an option anyway, but it helps to know what the "bottom line" is when you are negotiating.

Back to the topic. Fish On, here is a good deal on a verado:

http://www.boatmotors.com/motorparts/index.cgi?pid=7254&flag=2

i don't know what the story is, if it is a rebuild, or what. And note that rigging a verado will be pricey, but that looks like a great deal....

Van
03-04-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm ready to repower from my 1995 175 HP Johnson and I'd like to max out the rating for my Hydra-sports 2150 WA at 225 HP. Frankly if I could find a 2003 - 2006 225 HP like Hooper sold that I had confidence in was not abused I would go that way and not go new. My boat is 12 years old but is still in good shape. I could stick with my existing engine but between fuel prices (old 2 stroke dumping 30% unburned), 50 extra HP, less noise, less fumes, and the security of being offshore with a much newer engine, I think it's time to repower. If anyone knows of any used engines that fit that description please let me know. I'd rather go to a dealer and get a short term warrantee as well as some cash for my Johnson in trade.

It's either that or buy a whole new rig and I think I want to wait another couple years to see how the economy shakes out before I make a committment that big since I probably couldn't control myself and I be looking at 26' and twins.

I'd consider 4 strokes as well as long as the price was right.

Keep in mind, older boats were not HP rated for 4 strokes cause they were not invented yet. I just went through this with my 95 proline 21' . If I switched to a 4 stroke, to get the performance i want for speed and power, I would have to max out the HP rating of my boat. that means a 200-225 4 stroke...BUT....the power to weight ratio is too low compared to a 2 stroke, and if i did that the boat would bog down terrible due to all the extra weight, and the performance would suk. The extra weight would change the angle of the boat at rest too and bring the transom down . Most sharpies I talked to agreed that its not made for a 4 stroke. Most salesmen will sell you what ever they want..

zacs
03-04-2008, 03:04 PM
i respectfully disagree.

2008 Yami 225 4-stroke, F225 weighs 583 lbs.

1998 Yami 225 2-stroke, 225 OX66 weighs 493 lbs.

That is a difference of 90 lbs.

That is the difference between bringing my 120lb wife or bringing a 210lb fishing buddy. I've never noticed a difference in my boat's performance when the load differed by only 90 lbs.

I don't think you would notice any difference in performacne whatsoever.

jmho.

Zac

Hooper
03-04-2008, 06:23 PM
I would agree that buying local is FAR better in the long run. Picture it, beautiful summer weekend and your Ed's Marine ETEC is acting up for one reason or another. Your local guy will likely tell you to take a number and see you in two weeks. When I bought mine in town, my marina dropped what they were doing if I needed them, and helped me as soon as I pulled into the yard, no BS. They treated me like gold because I bought from them, what is that worth???

Little Round
03-04-2008, 06:36 PM
The best deal on a etec local is at ship shops in yarmouth. It is about the same money as ed's, and you have local support.

macojoe
03-04-2008, 11:06 PM
I love the Etec's! I have a few people that have gotten them and love them!!

But you have to go Local!! ETec is a 2 stroke but all computerized and needs to be set up when installed. This requires a laptop with all the right software!!
And even still some dealers are not getting it right! Thats why you hear of ETec's blowing power heads, they were not set up right!

So find a good dealer that knows there stuff!! and forget about ED!! He isn't going to be there when you install the motor and any real shop is not going to install and warrantee someone else's motor.

Fish On
03-05-2008, 12:25 AM
You guys are awesome! There is something to be learned and considered with every post! Please keep it coming!

5 years ago I thought it was all about price and I'll find service when I need it. I think that works for autos but not for boats, espacially in our short season in New England and with today's technology.

I've read the gap between 4's and 2's (specifically the etec) is closing for fuel efficiency, noise, weight and performance and we all know which is ahead where. I would probably lean towards the 4s (and I understand Van, weight is important but the difference is not what it used to be) if the price were the same. It sounds like it may come down to the etec vs. the 4s Suzuki if I pull the trigger and I really want to.

By the way, thanks for the link to the Verado Zacs! I'll be makng that inquiry. I have to wonder why so cheap? It sounds too good to be true, but worth investigating. It must still have significant warrantee which would mean everything in that situation. Get through a season or 2 and you're probably home free as far as getting stuck with a lemon as far as I look at it.

If anyone else knows of a good deal on a late model used 225 HP please post!

Thanks again!

beamie
03-05-2008, 09:33 AM
i respectfully disagree.

That is the difference between bringing my 120lb wife or bringing a 210lb fishing buddy.
Zac

How about a 300# fishing buddy:rotf3::rotf3:

Hooper
03-05-2008, 11:40 AM
The best deal on a etec local is at ship shops in yarmouth. It is about the same money as ed's, and you have local support.

That's where I bought mine, those guys are great.

MakoMike
03-05-2008, 01:34 PM
FWIW, there used to be a place on Long Island NY that sold outboards dirt cheap, but IIRC they only did it on last year's models. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll try to dig up the name of the place.

zacs
03-05-2008, 03:59 PM
F/O
if you can use a 250hp I bet you could get a decent deal on this one:
http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=190399&posts=1

i have no affiliation, just saw it on tht.

Zac

Van
03-07-2008, 08:49 AM
i respectfully disagree.

2008 Yami 225 4-stroke, F225 weighs 583 lbs.

1998 Yami 225 2-stroke, 225 OX66 weighs 493 lbs.

That is a difference of 90 lbs.

That is the difference between bringing my 120lb wife or bringing a 210lb fishing buddy. I've never noticed a difference in my boat's performance when the load differed by only 90 lbs.

I don't think you would notice any difference in performacne whatsoever.

jmho.

Zac

True, but a 4 stroke of the same HP does not have the torque output of a comparable 2 stroke, thats why if your spinning a 175 HP 2 stroke (like me), you have to go up to about 225 4 stroke for the same performance, Now the weight is an issue...
This is what I have been told a few times now by guys in the business. Thats what makes e-tec sellers happy !!!
Anyway get all the info you can and make the call,