View Full Version : Learning on your own? anyone do this anymore?

eelman
03-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Questions, Questions, There good I guess and a general starting point for a novice. However most of threads that ask questions become personal platforms for touting whats better in there own opinion and it becomes a helpless back and forth that confuses the guy that asks's the question even more!I am as guilty as anyone else here! I admit it, but it does little good for the asker.Sometimes is mind boggling to see 50 responces of differing opinions on something as simple as a snap swivel...Doesnt anyone try this stuff for themselves anymore? Sometimes to much info is a terrible thing and will have you spending money and scratching your head so bad you will end up s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g your thumb on a couch someplace afraid to make cast one!

It used to be you head to the local bait shop ask the people what a good starting point was and go from there....Who is to say someone will like braid over mono? or conventional over spinning? or this plug over that plug? "Which plug is better" thats one of the dumbest questions there is ! What works in one persons hands wont have the same results in anothers..Fisherman especially new guys need to really experimant for themselves and see what works for them as individual's. "what are the 4 plugs you carry when the moon is half towards new and the wind is east and the trees are blooming" So stupid...

Because joe blow does well with a certain plug it doesnt mean that the next guy will see the same results...And that even works for baitfishing...every single method there is has its nuances and some people just have a "touch" that others will never have! Still even more are just born with that certain something that cannot be taught or duplicated...and to go even further, I have to say some guys just are not cut out to be good at this sport, no matter how hard they try or what they do they just dont have "it" and that "it" factor can be very important, its not something that can be taught or explained or duplicated, you either have it or you dont...

So when it comes down to it, I think the best advice to give is to acually get out there and do it and learn what works for you on your own , its good to get hints but in the end the only way you learn is by doing and simply "seeing for yourself" without taking any ones word for it.

Oh and remember that Joe Blow who did good on that plug? odds are he doesnt even know why;) Most times the guy had no idea why a fish ate it...Acually 100% of the time ! No one knows why a fish does what it does..

You will never make fish do what you want them to do..You cannot force your will on them, to many people put it in human terms...fish do not..Go out there and try and fail and succeed on your own, it will be very fufilling in the end and then you to can add your 2cents to the next guy that asks a question!

There are no shortcuts.....

fishaholic18
03-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Go out there and try and fail and succeed on your own, it will be very fufilling in the end and then you to can add your 2cents to the next guy that asks a question!

There are no shortcuts.....

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/751/1908407applaus6zz.gif

beamie
03-03-2008, 01:39 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&,

I agree with allot of that, I don't have the answer. Convieneance of the net maybe.....your sign off line has some insite too......."There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot".

eelman
03-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Well, I am just ayiong some of the questions are just ridiculas..I have to question where common sense has went is all.. The internet has nothing to do with what I am saying...although its a faster way to get completley confused

The Dad Fisherman
03-03-2008, 01:45 PM
People like to ask questions to get a consensus of what people think. You glean from the responses what you want from them and then give them a try. Sometime you read between the lines and glean useful info.

Someone might ask what Plug is best and, yeah you may get a ton of different responses, you may get a bunch with the same response, but one guy may add something like "When the tide is outgoing a nice rip forms and I find this plug Really digs in for that situation".....There's the pearl your looking for when you ask the question....a situation you may want to try it in that you've come across.

Some people use questions as a starting point to get some creative dialog going on a situation....once again, to look for that pearl that may help you out when you are out there fishing.

Sometimes questions are just for fun to break up the monotony and you just want to goof around about a subject and a situation....Its all Good.

Like it or not...these boards are becoming the B&T's of the future. You can buy you gear while your here, exchange you fish stories here, and ask your questions here.....

eelman
03-03-2008, 01:56 PM
My belieif, is that most of these questions are answerd by the asker...they already know the answer....there is no other way...Some of the Questions are just so weird and or stupid that I think they are put up just to get a responce and see where it goes or when a war will start...As for the future? if thats the case we are in trouble....I watched a show last night where people cannot even remember close relatives birthdays anymore unless its in there blackberry! Everyone wants it easy now...I have to disagree on one thing there is no way that the internet is a new bait and tackle store...No way...

You can ask questions yes, but face to face "human contact" can never be duplicated on the internet.....Progress is always good but nothing is flawless and it all has its inherant problems

MarshCappa
03-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I have to admit I refrain from asking too many questions on here because of what you mentioned in your post. But on the flip side i have learned a ton from members here and practiced the feedback in the field with mixed results. I am a intermediate at best and I like to get my info from this board but always ask questions at the B&T shop.

The Dad Fisherman
03-03-2008, 02:03 PM
I never said it was better....I just said that is the way its going. I agree you miss the face to face contact.

I know once in awhile questions are asked to incite some personal off-board agenda...... but a lot of them are asked because somebody really wants an answer to their question, and thats all. People are also free to answer or ignore the question if they so choose

RIJIMMY
03-03-2008, 02:06 PM
I like to ask questions, but seldom, if ever, take action on the advice or answers. It merely gives me another set of data to mull over in my brain.

OffTheHook13
03-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Damn, now they'll have to cancel all of the message boards:p:p

PaulS
03-03-2008, 02:14 PM
A problem most people who ask questions have is that the questions are too general - "what's the best rod", "who uses sluggos" w/o getting into specifics about when, where, why, etc.

As TDF said, the is net is like the old B&T of the past. You hang here, ask questions and then go meet up w/ someone for a drink .

Saltheart
03-03-2008, 02:21 PM
If you are an expert , the repeating "beginner" questions do sometimes seem silly but to the beginners , they are important. Perhaps people need to be in the sport a long time to be able to ask truly new and interesting questions from the experts point fo view.

the site is for everyone. Beginners , intermediates , experts and those who feel they have ascended to godhood.

yes certainly going out and doing it is the best way to learn but asking questions on the internet is a new and very time saving way of learning.

No number of internet questions will give someone the feel for their eel on the end of the line , the feel and reflexes to bounce a jig down the canal without snagging bottom in a few seconds and distinguish a fish from all the other banging around , to know how much pressure is enough but not too much when landing a fish. However , some questions may get someone geared out initially without wasting money on pocket fisherman or self destructable cheap reels. It may get them to try something they have never heard of before. It may get them the oppurtunity to meet friendly experienced people who will help them. It may get them in contact with b+T operators who will give them a little special treatment as members of a site they won't get just walking in cold.

Anyway , the old salts may think some things are rediculous to ask , while the new people think the same thing is great. By the same account , the newby , who knows nobody in the sport may get sick and tired of hearing all the 'experts" prasing eachother and professing their eternal friendship in between the divorce like flame wars and arguing.

It takes all kinds to make a site what it is and in balance , both the new and the old in the sport have oppurtunites for useful applications of the resource.

chris L
03-03-2008, 02:22 PM
I like raspberries blackberries are not good for any thing .

I prefer to hunt and peck myself . its more fun that way .

I was going to ask all I could saturday night . but I forgot

good answer saltheart

eelman
03-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I dont mind answering a good question...But some are just plain nonsense...Example:

"Whats the best surf rod"

"Whats the best plug"

"Whats the best line"

"is braid better than mono"

"What 4 plugs are the best to have in your bag on a full moon"

'' Which is better plugs or bait"

"is spinning better than coventional"

"Boat vs Surf, which is the real fisherman"

The list goes on...Not one of these Questions has a "right" answer not one...yet all of them have been asked numerous times..I guess its the way it is but where has common sense gone..

fishaholic18
03-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I think Billy's point is...people too often look for the easy way out via the internet. I think it kind of puts a hair accross the guys azz that has done the years of leg work and trial and error on his own to figure out what works for them. Way too many guys are looking for short cuts nowadays. Is there a right way??? Not really..Get out there and try it for yourself, it's much more satisfying...your way may work better for you than the other guys way.. Try something..If it works for you then stick with it.. If it doesn't..change it up till you find what works for you.. Bottom line is..Guys need to stop looking for all the answers via the net..you probably will never find the right answer..just opinions on what has worked for others.. Do you wipe your azz like everyone else..Who knows, but I know my way works..Most of the time..:rotf3:

OffTheHook13
03-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Not everyone is an expert.

Not everyone has an unlimited amount of time to test and try different gear, locations etc.

Maybe the guy that asks about the type of swivel or plug to use is a beginner with no knowledge of this sport whatsoever.

Maybe he/she asks because he/she hasn't had the chance to learn yet or has just joined this, or any other fishing site for that matter.

The fact is, noone should be made to feel that any question is stupid.

IT'S NOT!

Go ahead and ask away.

That's what the "EXPERTS" are here for.

fishaholic18
03-03-2008, 02:44 PM
I dont mind answering a good question...But some are just plain nonsense...Example:

The one I built myself,

"Whats the best plug"
The one that works for me.

"Whats the best line"
The kind I'm used to using.

I use both, when and how depends....

The 4 that work for me..

Bait..Hands down..Because I like it..

Spin..Unless I feel like untangling a birds nest,,LOL

Boat..My body is too beat up for the surf...

The list goes on...Not one of these Questions has a "right" answer not one...yet all of them have been asked numerous times..I guess its the way it is but where has common sense gone..

:kewl::D:bl:

OffTheHook13
03-03-2008, 02:46 PM

"Whats the best plug"

"Whats the best line"

Well, what are your answers?

eelman
03-03-2008, 02:48 PM
I also see guys kissing the azz of who ever is the hot hand at the time, its like alliances...Another words, they fish with anyone and everyone who will take them to the spot of the week without having done anything on there own..Then all of a sudden there experts after fishing a couple years because they had a decent week or two over the season...They all want the same thing...The same guys who were humble the year before suddenly bump into a few fish and now they know it all without ever really having learned anything.

Take me to the fish even though I know nothing, show me where to stand, point to the rock to cast two and promise me a fish.Its the way its done now.

All I am saying is man, show some fortatude and learn something without having your hand held..

eelman
03-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Well, what are your answers?

Read the bottom...As I said there are no answers and certainly none that are right...The answer is find out for yourself

My answers speak for themselves with the consitantcy I have had in course of my fishing life so far..I know one thing, if I see a guy with alot of fish and consistancy, I would tend to listen to what ever advice he gives and use it for my overall planning in how I am going to aporoach things...Still however, like I said what works for one does not work for others...

fishaholic18
03-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Not everyone is an expert.

Not everyone has an unlimited amount of time to test and try different gear, locations etc.

Maybe the guy that asks about the type of swivel or plug to use is a beginner with no knowledge of this sport whatsoever.

Maybe he/she asks because he/she hasn't had the chance to learn yet or has just joined this, or any other fishing site for that matter.

The fact is, noone should be made to feel that any question is stupid.

IT'S NOT!

Go ahead and ask away.

That's what the "EXPERTS" are here for.

Not sure there are any "So called" experts...It's fishing..not brain surgery..Lets get real here..

I think most new guys get more confused than anything else due to all the diff. opinions.

bart
03-03-2008, 02:53 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&- i'm sure you learned everything you know on your own. Jim white, Tim Coleman.....they were of no help to you. :rolleyes:

Clammer
03-03-2008, 02:53 PM
WELL

I see your feeling better :::cputin:

Flaptail
03-03-2008, 02:54 PM
I found out that spinning rod and reel combos make you grow breasts and that if your 6'-6" tall the real dilemma when buying waders is not if they are breathable or neoprene but where the crotch of the wader is as opposed to your own that make them the best for you and that women from Brockton, when they turn 30 grow hairy arms, mustaches and their butts blow up twice the original size.

Where else would you be able to go to get valuable info like that?

spinncognito
03-03-2008, 02:57 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, why is it you come here every day if not partly for the questions? Have you not answered so many yourself? To call them "stupid" now makes you seem stupid for ever answering any. But you are not stupid by any stretch and your shared fishing knowlege is appreciated by countless individuals who have learned from what you have posted. I have never caught a fish while sitting at my keyboard but I have taken bits and pieces of the info found here with me to the water and yes, it has helped me.
This may not be the new B&T but most guys who own/operate a B&T also have product available online and get customers from forums like this.

spin

fishaholic18
03-03-2008, 02:58 PM
WELL

Holy ^%$#@! he's alive..WHAT"S UP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BUD:wave:

Saltheart
03-03-2008, 02:58 PM
When someone asks the broad open questions like "what rod is best" , its a chnace for discussion , not nescessarily a single right answere. Its even just a snapshot in time for the discussion because even the old timers keep learning new tricks and changing as time goes on.

Anyway , think "discussion board" , not "right answere board"

eelman
03-03-2008, 02:59 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&- i'm sure you learned everything you know on your own. Jim white, Tim Coleman.....they were of no help to you. :rolleyes:

Acually the answer is NO...and you can ask those guys...Its why I have gained there respect over the years, I figured out things for myself... There friends and people I fish with that I met sometime ago...Sure we talked about fishing and share ideas etc...but none of them held my hand and showed me the ropes...Your wrong on that count...Many of those guys in days past were making money from selling fish, they were not about to let others cash in by handing out free advice

eelman
03-03-2008, 03:03 PM
WELL

Ah yes mike...A little kick in the pants post that gets "good" chatter going....
Its the meds:rotf3:

The Dad Fisherman
03-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Once again you have choices.....You can answer the question Abruptly

Q: What is the best Plug?

A: A Creek Chub pikie in Blue over Fuschia

or you can answer the question with some qualifying question to try and find out how to help the guy.

Q: What is the Best Plug

A(Q): Tough one to answer where do you like to fish or what is the Predominant Bait Around

Or you can simply say this is a stupid question....I think I Will ignore it.

I came to this site knowing absolutely nothing about Stripers and probably asked a Chitload of stupid questions in the beginning and all I can say is that I appreciate everybody that took the time to help me out.

and the last thing I would want to do is make anybody feel like they are asking a stupid question...If I can answer them I will and I'm OK with that.

eelman
03-03-2008, 03:07 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, why is it you come here every day if not partly for the questions? Have you not answered so many yourself? To call them "stupid" now makes you seem stupid for ever answering any. But you are not stupid by any stretch and your shared fishing knowlege is appreciated by countless individuals who have learned from what you have posted. I have never caught a fish while sitting at my keyboard but I have taken bits and pieces of the info found here with me to the water and yes, it has helped me.
This may not be the new B&T but most guys who own/operate a B&T also have product available online and get customers from forums like this.

spin

I answer what I feel like answering at the time and depending on mood...I come here because its fun to come here and because I have been a member since day one when John started it, I have helped many guys and will continue to do so...I just made a statement asking a question of my own:wave:

Some posts I just have fun with, others I take serious, but I have helped people...The problem is they dont listen and continue to ask the same thing over and over and over....looking for a holy grail that cannot be found without personal determination and old hard work. Some questions are asked over and over in ways just to get the answer they are looking for to justify whatever is is there looking for...

fishaholic18
03-03-2008, 03:10 PM
I just made a statement asking a question of my own:wave:

You ask stupid questions...:laugha:

eelman
03-03-2008, 03:12 PM
You ask stupid questions...:laugha:

I guess your right, it was stupid:bsod:

bart
03-03-2008, 03:14 PM
jesus christ the dude sweat between F18 and #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& is really getting disgusting. :puke:

so people should learn on their own, thats what you're saying? here's a couple of your quotes from earlier in the yr...

"Anyone who wants the inside scoop on any fall hotspot in rhody can send me a Pm. "

Do you have to be carefull who you tell what? yes to a point..but more than a few things happened this year that puts things in perspective..you all know what they are...life is to short..I want to see people succed..I do not have a son or anyone else to pass along what I have learned in the surf to...I also realize that the reason most wont tell you is that they want to remain "on top" I was there at one point also, I know, its not that giving up the spot in and of itself is the problem...the truth is the fear that someone elses eel will in that water will land bigger and better than you...it happens, its competition all the way....there is a point to the crowd factor but still, when someone asks me nicely now I tell them, want to se the catch a nice fish...it comes with age I guess, the loss of friends, the maturity to realize its only a fish and yes to be honest a change I have made from surf to boat, I learned alot in the surf, if I can help a young guy who has the stamina and will power to stomp the suds all night...I dont mind pointing them in the right direction...\

get your story straight...

fishaholic18
03-03-2008, 03:14 PM
I found out that spinning rod and reel combos make you grow breasts

Really..:smokin:

fishaholic18
03-03-2008, 03:16 PM
jesus christ the dude sweat between F18 and #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& is really getting disgusting. :puke:

For from it...More fun to come...:)

eelman
03-03-2008, 03:20 PM
What the internet is good for I guess is the closeness you guys have developed, its like a big boys club, trips together friendships etc..a community of like minded people who have struck up long and lasting meaningfull friendships...Other than that as for the advice part, I am not so sure it works because of the overwhelming difference of opinions.As I have said, I certainly have mine.

I skirt around the edges, never wanting to be to close, but I have a made a couple of friends online from this site which I am thankfull for..It was never about learning anything for me...And I am very funny when it comes to who I will fish or socialize with, just the way I am...Every gets something different from things...I enjoy coming on here for the lighthearted stuff more than the serious stuff..

Joe
03-03-2008, 03:23 PM
The message boards are good for sounding ideas or for when a person want to know how someone else did with a certain lure or a particular technique - a well-answered question can shorten the learning curve. I've heard over on the big message board that the message board is the best resource, the best learning tool short of experience. That's not so true - if it was, I would not have sold so many copies of Zeno's book.
My wife likes to watch home improvement shows and she's been watching for years, but she still can't hang a set of blinds. I'm of the opinion that the internet and the message board medium are quite similar to television: while there is a lot of good information, it lacks unity and coherence and the learning method is highly passive. The message board and the give and take associated with asking questions is a wonderful and useful tool, but it is not without shortcomings.

eelman
03-03-2008, 03:24 PM

so people should learn on their own, thats what you're saying? here's a couple of your quotes from earlier in the yr...

"Anyone who wants the inside scoop on any fall hotspot in rhody can send me a Pm. "

Do you have to be carefull who you tell what? yes to a point..but more than a few things happened this year that puts things in perspective..you all know what they are...life is to short..I want to see people succed..I do not have a son or anyone else to pass along what I have learned in the surf to...I also realize that the reason most wont tell you is that they want to remain "on top" I was there at one point also, I know, its not that giving up the spot in and of itself is the problem...the truth is the fear that someone elses eel will in that water will land bigger and better than you...it happens, its competition all the way....there is a point to the crowd factor but still, when someone asks me nicely now I tell them, want to se the catch a nice fish...it comes with age I guess, the loss of friends, the maturity to realize its only a fish and yes to be honest a change I have made from surf to boat, I learned alot in the surf, if I can help a young guy who has the stamina and will power to stomp the suds all night...I dont mind pointing them in the right direction...\

get your story straight...

You make no point at all, I said I dont mind helping people ? And I have given that out! So what exactly is your point...even still, even if that was offered, wouldent you still want to learn on your own? and what does it have to do with what I said, thats something I offered

Oh and I repeat that offer....any and all Surf spots that I fished can be obtained by sending me a PM And I will glady direct you to them...The private ones and all !

I acually have one that is awesome during the last week in may and would like nothing better than to put a crowd there, you can take what you learn here and put it to use in a prime spot

fishbones
03-03-2008, 03:25 PM
I learned from fishing with my father and grandfather. I certainly didn't learn to be a "sharpie", but I learned enough to go out and become addicted to fishing and have a lot of fun. I also learned by going into the local B&T's when I was old enough to drive myself around. When I joined this site, I was amazed at the knowledge a lot of the people here had, and I lurked and paid attention. I took information and used some of it and disregarded a lot of it. What I have learned most here is that a lot of people will be very helpful and gladly share things...especially if you contribute to the community here. I also learned that most people have opinions about what gear to use and what bait/lures to use. And, we all know what opinions are like. The best advice that I have picked up here though is to just go out and fish as much as you can. The internet is great and has tons of information, but there is no substitute for being out there experiencing it.

I understand people asking questions, but it's too often that someone signs up here and then starts threads about every aspect of striper fishing "what, when, where, why and how" under the sun. The search feature here will probably give most people enough information to keep them busy until the spring migration. Too many people want instant gratification and don't want to do the research or work themselves.

Maybe John R could set up the site so that new members could only start a thread if they had a certain # of posts under their belt? That way, they could really become familiar with the site and could contribute to threads started by other members.

Clogston29
03-03-2008, 03:27 PM
To me, the problem isn’t the asking of questions, its that a lot of people want there to be only one answer to their question and they want it to be easy and something that they don’t have to think about and experiment with.

Example: What’s the best lure for stripers? They want someone to tell them what it is and how to fish it and they want that to work. They don’t want to hear that it depends on conditions, structure, current, etc. They don’t want to accept that it’s an ever changing thing even in a given spot and that they’re going to have to spend tons time and experience lots of failure in order to figure it out.

Questions and opinions (stress that opinions, not facts) offered in response to questions are great if they are taken, thought about, applied, evaluated, tweaked, applied, evaluated, etc.

IMHO the problem isn’t people asking questions, its people wanting it to be easy. Its not, and that has to be accepted and enjoyed or you should just pick something else to do with your time.

OffTheHook13
03-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Did you know????:lm:

eelman
03-03-2008, 03:30 PM
I learned from fishing with my father and grandfather. I certainly didn't learn to be a "sharpie", but I learned enough to go out and become addicted to fishing and have a lot of fun. I also learned by going into the local B&T's when I was old enough to drive myself around. When I joined this site, I was amazed at the knowledge a lot of the people here had, and I lurked and paid attention. I took information and used some of it and disregarded a lot of it. What I have learned most here is that a lot of people will be very helpful and gladly share things...especially if you contribute to the community here. I also learned that most people have opinions about what gear to use and what bait/lures to use. And, we all know what opinions are like. The best advice that I have picked up here though is to just go out and fish as much as you can. The internet is great and has tons of information, but there is no substitute for being out there experiencing it.

I understand people asking questions, but it's too often that someone signs up here and then starts threads about every aspect of striper fishing "what, when, where, why and how" under the sun. The search feature here will probably give most people enough information to keep them busy until the spring migration. Too many people want instant gratification and don't want to do the research or work themselves.

Maybe John R could set up the site so that new members could only start a thread if they had a certain # of posts under their belt? That way, they could really become familiar with the site and could contribute to threads started by other members.

Awesome post and said better than me! Exactly The everything under the sun stuff should be on another board and made a sticky or something, so you dont have to answer the same question 10 billion times...But good post

eelman
03-03-2008, 03:32 PM
To me, the problem isn’t the asking of questions, its that a lot of people want there to be only one answer to their question and they want it to be easy and something that they don’t have to think about and experiment with.

Example: What’s the best lure for stripers? They want someone to tell them what it is and how to fish it and they want that to work. They don’t want to hear that it depends on conditions, structure, current, etc. They don’t want to accept that it’s an ever changing thing even in a given spot and that they’re going to have to spend tons time and experience lots of failure in order to figure it out.

Questions and opinions (stress that opinions, not facts) offered in response to questions are great if they are taken, thought about, applied, evaluated, tweaked, applied, evaluated, etc.

IMHO the problem isn’t people asking questions, its people wanting it to be easy. Its not, and that has to be accepted and enjoyed or you should just pick something else to do with your time.

Kind of what I said but get in trouble for, but basically I agree and its what I am saying in general...I said they ask the question multiple ways to get the answer that suits them

OffTheHook13
03-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Maybe some of the newbs are trying to fit in.

Why criticize?

The whole purpose of these boards is to post BS.

Get you through the winter.

No need to try and make anyone feel like they are an idiot if they ask a question you may think is stupid.

eelman
03-03-2008, 03:39 PM
All Barts investigative work shows is that I do infact help people the best I can...

bart
03-03-2008, 03:40 PM
You make no point at all

in one post you say that people should learn on their own and then in another you say you will tell people anything they want to know....i wouldn't exactly call that learning on your own. but in your world, two opposing statements tend to mean the same thing. :confused:

on another note, this is getting ridiculous. the people that bitch about the internet are the ones who profit the most from it. and the people saying that this site is going downhill are the same ones that are contributing to the downfall.

i personally love this site and i think John does a great job. it's the self proclaimed sharpies/internet heroes that are bringing it down IMHO

The Dad Fisherman
03-03-2008, 03:40 PM
so you dont have to answer the same question 10 billion times...But good post

Thats one of the points I'm trying to make....you don't HAVE to answer the same question 10 billion times....you can always just ignore it.

someone who wants to answer it is more than welcome to....

and the people that come here for instant gratification you can simply point them to the search feature..... and if they don't want to bother with that....once again nobody's twisting anybodies arm to answer their question.

and you can't realistically run a board where you won't let people ask questions....nobody will stick around a board like that.

Goose
03-03-2008, 03:42 PM
If everything is cut and dry then there will be nothing to discuss and bitch about. I think a lot of the guys who"fished all their lives" won't admit it but they learn chit when all the new-bees ask and remind them of this and that. It seems like you wanna communicate and interact so much that it bugs you that its same questions that come up and you can't make them see it your way, hell i like putting in my .02 just as much as anyone else. If your sitting at your favorite tackle shop and some knew-bee asks an old or dumb question let some else answer.

eelman
03-03-2008, 03:45 PM
this may sound like a stupid question, and i've already had it answered once by a knowlegable fisherman, but i just wanted some other opinions. i've never chummed herring before, this year i'm planning on doing so while throwing plugs. i have a mesh eel bag that i was going to load up with little chunks, tie to my wader belt, and then wade out there on the bar(most of you know where i'm talking about). is this a good idea? basically i wanna know if i should worry about sharks at all. i was told that they aren't many inshore species of shark and that the most i'd have to worry about would be gettting bumped by a big fish(this happened to me last season in the dead of night, freaked me out! but i've been thinking about it more because of the shark sightings last year. i was actually wading out there this past fall when they were seen, helicopters and boats everywhere. talked to a surfer that said he saw about six of em. for my own peace of mind what do y'all think. thanks in advance.

:lurk: Great question

OffTheHook13
03-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Bottom line....

If you don't like it, don't read it.:thanks:

ThomCat
03-03-2008, 03:46 PM
:rotflmao:Hang in there, Bill, winter's petering out and the cabin fever's going to start disapating. :cputin::lossinit:

eelman
03-03-2008, 03:48 PM
:rotflmao:Hang in there, Bill, winter's petering out and the cabin fever's going to start disapating. :cputin::lossinit:

:bl::bl:

I should be working with you soon:cputin:

well at least we have some chatter

bart
03-03-2008, 03:50 PM
ok so what is your point. that was like my first post here 4 yrs ago.

and if anyone would like to read a nice piece on how to ruin your life by fishing check out #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s article on the SWE site. :rollem:

eelman
03-03-2008, 03:52 PM
ok so what is your point. that was like my first post here 4 yrs ago.

and if anyone would like to read a nice piece on how to ruin your life by fishing check out #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s article on the SWE site. :rollem:

its on this site also, your so good at searching(better than fishing acuallly) I am surprised you missed that:hihi:

Its down in the articles section

chris L
03-03-2008, 03:53 PM
hep me hep me hep me . Im on fire . hep me hep me

I only say stupid things never ask too many questions smart or stupid . Im not stupid Im with stupid .

now back to saturday night .
how many beers did I have ?

fishsmith
03-03-2008, 03:55 PM
So what is better mono or braid? :faga: :rumble:

bart
03-03-2008, 03:56 PM
....This is what PM's are for, Please

fishbones
03-03-2008, 03:59 PM

I'm not sure about braid, but I had mono in high school and it was awful. I missed the beginning of the baseball season because of it. My friends told me that chick was bad news, but I had to find out for myself.:sick:

chris L
03-03-2008, 03:59 PM

no right answer with out more info like where , when , why , how come , and do you lower the toilet seat .
we dont give info for freee . thats fity sent thank you

OffTheHook13
03-03-2008, 04:05 PM
its on this site also, your so good at searching(better than fishing acuallly) I am surprised you missed that:hihi:

Its down in the articles section

I wana read the article.

Where is it?

bart
03-03-2008, 04:05 PM
....This is what PM's are for, Please

why was that edited? i basically quoted an article he wrote for the public to read on this site.

this is so lame. people need to grow some brass around here. people feel the same way as myself. i know this because i get Pms about this every time #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& starts spouting off or whenever i get together with other fisherman from the site. but no one has the balls to say it here. f'n lame. bring back Krispy!

Flaptail
03-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Really..:smokin:

Well I heard it on this site, so it's got to be true, maybe.

eelman
03-03-2008, 04:07 PM
why was that edited? i basically quoted an article he wrote for the public to read on this site.

this is so lame. people need to grow some brass around here. people feel the same way as myself. i know this because i get Pms about this every time #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& starts spouting off or whenever i get together with other fisherman from the site. but no one has the balls to say it here. f'n lame. bring back Krispy!

Grow brass?? Krispy:musc::musc: only on the internet...Grow up

Take the others advice...You dont like what I post dont read it..Dont cry and ask for krispy to be the internet super hero of words...If you really get those pms...just post them right here in the open...Copy and paste is easy

fishaholic18
03-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Well I heard it on this site, so it's got to be true, maybe.

It must be then..I'll have to keep an eye on them..:scream:

OffTheHook13
03-03-2008, 04:08 PM
WHAT ARTICLE

chris L
03-03-2008, 04:09 PM
that women from Brockton, when they turn 30 grow hairy arms, mustaches and their butts blow up twice the original size.

I hate when their butts blow up . gets really shi t ty really fast .

cough cough choke choke . ah there it is

fishaholic18
03-03-2008, 04:10 PM

Stop takin' sh!t personal bud...Lighten up and have some fun..That all comes with age I guess...:hihi:

The Dad Fisherman
03-03-2008, 04:11 PM

It was edited because you got personal,...if you want to have a conversation with #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& about it then that is what the PM's are for.

Slingah
03-03-2008, 04:12 PM
this is b.s.
time to watch F-Troop....

eelman
03-03-2008, 04:13 PM
It was edited because you got personal,...if you want to have a conversation with #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& about it then that is what the PM's are for.

Glad the truth comes out...F18 Is right...grow up no one is making personal attacks here...He is right comes with age

bart
03-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Grow brass?? Krispy:musc::musc: only on the internet...Grow up

Take the others advice...You dont like what I post dont read it..Dont cry and ask for krispy to be the internet super hero of words...If you really get those pms...just post them right here in the open...Copy and paste is easy

i don't need to post them. you get the gist of it. "#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&'s full of %$%$%$%$, he's the biggest hypocrite on the web, internet hero," etc....

fishbones
03-03-2008, 04:16 PM
WHAT ARTICLE

Go to the front page of the site, and go into the "Articles" section. It's waaaaaay down at the bottom, under all the sponsor pages.

By the way, John R. It's nice how all of the sponsors have their owns sections now. Much easier to look for specific things.:btu:

eelman
03-03-2008, 04:17 PM
i don't need to post them. you get the gist of it. "#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&'s full of %$%$%$%$, he's the biggest hypocrite on the web, internet hero," etc....

grow up...now go change your diapers...your getting to worked up and you have no clue what your talking about..how can you or anyone call someone something when you have never even met them...is that how you were braught up ?of did you learn that from the grand "Jedi master" of the net

striperman36
03-03-2008, 04:17 PM
I found out that spinning rod and reel combos make you grow breasts and that if your 6'-6" tall the real dilemma when buying waders is not if they are breathable or neoprene but where the crotch of the wader is as opposed to your own that make them the best for you and that women from Brockton, when they turn 30 grow hairy arms, mustaches and their butts blow up twice the original size.

I've seen both of these happen

The Dad Fisherman
03-03-2008, 04:19 PM
All Done...If bossman wants to re-open he can...but its hit rock-bottom

JohnR
03-03-2008, 10:00 PM
If I was reading it earlier I would probably close it too. I think everyone needs to lighten up a little here.

This is supposed be parts fun, educational, funny and interesting. When people make it un-fun, un-educational, un-funny, and un-interesting - it really makes it "un-worth" doing...