View Full Version : Cabin fever anyone?

Edge Sportfish
03-04-2008, 02:58 PM
This is just an observation from someone lucky enough to fish year round. I see all you guys getting testy with one another on here and I understand. You're all getting shacky wacky from being cooped up through the long Winter. The fact is, most of us fish for the chance to get outside and breathe some air that no one else has breathed for a while, enjoy the outdoor experience and be a part of nature. Shut the cell phone off for a few hours and get some saltwater on you. If we only went fishing and felt rewarded for simply catching big fish or lots of them we'd never go. Of course when you do catch, it is rewarding. You are always out there trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together and playing the game, trying to outwit something that never even considers what you are up to. Learning about the fish is part of the drill but in reality you're learning about yourself all the while.

Fishing tests us both physically and mentally. Pushing yourself to go and hit it after a long day at work or juggling relationships with spouse, kids, work etc. and still having the sack to go do it one more time, helps us prove to ourselves what we're really made of. Fishing folk are a different breed of cat.

Now after a long Winter of being cooped up inside, the long gray cold blanket will push the best of us to drastic measures. I'm just going to say I feel for you guys and know that some of the flared tempers and bruised egos should be taken with a grain of salt. Spring is right around the corner and you'll be deep in the thick of the first good blitz of the year before you know it.

Now everybody play nice for awhile and you'll be telling fish stories again before you know it. Good luck to all.

Captain George LaBonte
Edge Sportfishing-Jupiter,Fl

Gunpowder
03-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Capt. George.... small question for you. I will be heading down to Tampa FL for spring break and plan on bringing a conventional outfit on a 7 foot M-H rod. Was wondering if you could give me any information on fishing in/ around the Hillsborough River just inside of Tampa bay.... Is it worth my time? I am kind of locked to that location due to being on a sports team and all but figured I would bring down some of my gear and take some casts. Also, any recommendations on what to use for lures down there on the setup I have> thanks again,

mike

BigFish
03-04-2008, 03:24 PM
60 degrees here today George! Out in my shop with the doors wide open! It is beautiful and it helps getting the fresh warm air....even if its just for today!:kewl:

Edge Sportfish
03-04-2008, 04:09 PM
PM sent.

Capt. George.... small question for you. I will be heading down to Tampa FL for spring break and plan on bringing a conventional outfit on a 7 foot M-H rod. Was wondering if you could give me any information on fishing in/ around the Hillsborough River just inside of Tampa bay.... Is it worth my time? I am kind of locked to that location due to being on a sports team and all but figured I would bring down some of my gear and take some casts. Also, any recommendations on what to use for lures down there on the setup I have> thanks again,

mike

tattoobob
03-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Not me I keep busy with the Honey-Do-List, the gym, and work

Screw the flame wars not worth me wasting my time

Slingah
03-04-2008, 06:00 PM
my trip down to see you George is now just a memory...I have double dose cabin fever....been stuck inside for weeks working on my own house, I think I am going coo-coo...I will be happy to have this project done and to get back to work...and fish of course:wavey:

Edge Sportfish
03-04-2008, 06:03 PM
The rest of my walls are looking pretty white brother.....

my trip down to see you George is now just a memory...I have double dose cabin fever....been stuck inside for weeks working on my own house, I think I am going coo-coo...I will be happy to have this project done and to get back to work...and fish of course:wavey:

Slingah
03-04-2008, 06:14 PM
The rest of my walls are looking pretty white brother.....

:tooth:....man Id love too.....I think wifey would tell me to stay if I did...
I hope you two come up this year...

BigFish
03-04-2008, 06:17 PM
I can feel the love in here!:tooth:

Edge Sportfish
03-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Hold me....

I can feel the love in here!:tooth:

hyefisherman2
03-04-2008, 10:22 PM
umm...yes! :wall:

HESH2
03-05-2008, 08:32 AM
big case of cabin fever for awhile,spring just arround the corner.

OffTheHook13
03-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Couple more weeks.:lama:

The Dad Fisherman
03-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Found myself sitting in front of the TV the other night holding my reel and just spinning while watching the tube.

Blitzseeker
03-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Good post, Edge, well said.

Mr. Sandman
03-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Found myself sitting in front of the TV the other night holding my reel and just spinning while watching the tube.

LOL....I just got back my shimano and diawa reels from factory service and I sat in front of the tube and checked them all out. I love the smell of fresh reel lube in the evening, the silent whir of the rotor...

I have got it pretty bad this year. I have been down in the shop with a jug of RTV silicon making unconventional fishing stuff.

I really will not start fishing till may. I will go a few times before that just to play with a couple of small fish but for the most part I have a couple more months to go.

OffTheHook13
03-05-2008, 10:05 AM
I tie a sock onto one of my old Tog rods with a Penn Jigmaster and 50Lb. mono.

I go out in my yard and go Dogfishing. Literally.

My three dogs LOVE to play tug of war with the sock.

Sometimes, I actually feel as though I'm reeling in a monster Tog.

The neighbors think I have a screw or two loose.

So does my wife.

And my family.

And my friends.

Oh well........................