UserRemoved1
03-04-2008, 07:55 PM
fishfarts

tattoobob
03-04-2008, 08:49 PM
They were singing outside my bedroom window this afternoon

BigBo
03-04-2008, 08:56 PM
And three boats that appeared to be Comm Herring boats went through the Canal today headed north. :wall:

5/0
03-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Driving home from work today I noticed my neighbors front lawn had a legion of Robins combing there lawn won't be long,man I can't wait to go fishing.

Gunpowder
03-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Seemed like spring these past few days, but we have another cold front coming up that will bring highs of 20 and lows of -5 this weekend. Should be nice :D

Pt.JudeJoe
03-04-2008, 10:15 PM
They were singing outside my bedroom window this afternoon

The Herring?

stripermagnet
03-04-2008, 11:02 PM
speaking of herring, does anyone know if the restriction to use herring as bait will be permanent?

Gunpowder
03-04-2008, 11:50 PM
speaking of herring, does anyone know if the restriction to use herring as bait will be permanent?

I'm pretty sure this year ends the moratorium for the herring....

bloocrab
03-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Since when was there a moratorium on herring?? :huh:

You can't beat herring in the Spring time!!!

Gunpowder
03-05-2008, 12:02 AM
I could be completely incorrect, but I thought in MA there was a 3 year restriction (that ends this year) on the use of river herring.... sea herring were ok though.

stiff tip
03-05-2008, 05:35 AM
yes , herring are still banned.......

GBOUTDOORS
03-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Bloo no herring and no korkers on the boat both are still banned.:crying: But they are here as the river down the road had gulls all watching it for the past few days and that means they are here.

ProfessorM
03-05-2008, 08:14 AM
We have had Robins all year long as in years past. I saw my first Buzzard this week on my way to the Cape and work, around south Middleboro. I usually consider them the first sign that spring is around the corner. Robins are pretty commonplace year round on the coast and 20 miles inland it seems. I grow several species of plants that hold their berries all winter, Viburnums, and the robins have just about picked them clean in the last month. Herring are usually seen in my local run, Middleboro, as early as middle of Feb. sometimes. I am sure we will probably see a few seals this far inland soon too.

Here is a great site if you have interest in Herring, eels, Taunton river ,smelt,etc, Scan down the page for the info. Really Nice photos too.
http://www.glooskapandthefrog.org/

fishaholic18
03-05-2008, 08:44 AM
yes , herring are still banned.......

Thank God..They are more of a PIA than they're worth..

Pt.JudeJoe
03-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Since the forrests have been devastated by over harvesting ,I've heard talk about a ban on wood plugs.:devil2:

fishsmith
03-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Since the forrests have been devastated by over harvesting ,I've heard talk about a ban on wood plugs.:devil2:

S-B should sponser 'green plugs' and start turning bamboo plugs, the tree huggers will be knocking down the doors for em. :gu:

Gunpowder
03-05-2008, 09:34 AM
S-B should sponser 'green plugs' and start turning bamboo plugs, the tree huggers will be knocking down the doors for em. :gu:

:bl::bl::bl: funny stuff

bloocrab
03-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Bloo no herring and no korkers on the boat both are still banned

OH YEAH!! Tony let's me wear korkers on his/your boat, so long as I CUT bait & play his bittch. :rude:

zacs
03-05-2008, 10:20 AM
And three boats that appeared to be Comm Herring boats went through the Canal today headed north. :wall:

probably mackerel.

piemma
03-05-2008, 02:09 PM
I crossed the CT River around Noon today and there were birds working. I was just south of Hartford. I'm thinking it's Herring moving North.

moosh
03-05-2008, 04:15 PM
I dont think they will take a ban off herring not for awhile thats fine with me its to easy to catch stripers with herring , use a little imagination i say .I caught my first striper on a herring it was so easy . i had to work for the next ,lets admit it if it was easy what fun would it be , I live on cape cod and ever since theres been a band on herring it seems like the bass are getting biggerr. and whats so wrong with that ................still looking the 50# and up

EarnedStripes44
03-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Herring....already!

stripermagnet
03-05-2008, 04:54 PM
ive heard the penalties for getting caught taking herring for bait are stiff at best. anyone know first hand?

Rockport24
03-05-2008, 04:55 PM
I saw an all out blitz today of seagulls........

to bad it was in a parking lot over some french fries somebody threw away

Mr. Sandman
03-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Some Osprey have returned. Lots of sping birds around already but the snowey owl is still around.

Spring is in sight.

tattoobob
03-05-2008, 08:28 PM
The Herring?

Yes

plankton
03-05-2008, 09:09 PM
I saw an all out blitz today of seagulls........

to bad it was in a parking lot over some french fries somebody threw away

Let's hope they never ban fries as bait, it's my go to when things get slow, I've even been known to through-wire a whole potato and hang some VMCs off the thing. Bass love carbs!:hee:

Raider Ronnie
03-05-2008, 10:00 PM

No herring till atleast 2009

patpatriot
03-05-2008, 11:53 PM
3 year moratorium i believe, then after that a reasessment which will probally end up being a longer ban. And yes they are strict on the rules, which is good, I was warned when I was fishing within 20ft of herring run at the canal.

zimmy
03-06-2008, 09:26 AM

Not saying its all for our plugs... but here's where the wood comes from. Good old Alaskan cedar. I don't really understand how outdoorsmen, especially those that get much of their pleasure from fishing and hunting think being a tree hugger is such a bad thing. I get it as far as the radical faction, but in general good forestry practices are good for our hobbies. Salmon spawn below these cuts. Old growth temperate rainforest keep those rivers clean. Also provide more of the things alot of us like to shoot. Doesn't have to be done this way, but it is big money for the logging companies. Done preaching :o Just wanted to give another point of view :gu:.

Rockport24
03-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Let's hope they never ban fries as bait, it's my go to when things get slow, I've even been known to through-wire a whole potato and hang some VMCs off the thing. Bass love carbs!:hee:

you don't fish around the Rockmore restaurant in Salem do you??
:hee:

leptar
03-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Few phone calls this AM...
Herring in Rhode Island, Possession is Illegal.
There is currently no set in stone date as to when the moratorium will be lifted as a stock analysis have to be done first.

ok now the weird part...
FINES...
vary by officer and court... from written warning to $500 per offense and upto a maximum of 30 days in prison or both.

That even means and it is up to the discretion of the officer to allow, stop or fine those that head down to the runs to "assist" the herring, ie.. dipping a net and helping the herring into the freshwater as it is considered possession.

Little off topic but....
1) Proposed amendments to the commercial tautog quota management plan;
2) Proposed amendments to the recreational tautog management plan;
3) Proposed amendments to the commercial scup quota management plan;
4) Proposed amendments to the commercial striped bass quota management plan;
5) Proposed amendments to the RI menhaden regulations;
6) Proposed amendments to the RI monkfish regulations
**There was a Rhode Island Marine Fisheries Hearing last week** (http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatres/fishwild/pdf/prp0208.pdf)

Aqua-man
03-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Your all crazy :spin: There arn't any herring yet and the ospreys have'nt come back yet and I absolutly did'nt see a turkey vulture flying over the Bourne bridge Tuesday at 3:08.:hee:

bart
03-06-2008, 09:15 PM
turkey vultures are a sign of spring? i see them yr. round...

plankton
03-06-2008, 10:11 PM
you don't fish around the Rockmore restaurant in Salem do you??
:hee:

SPOT BURNER!!!!:af:

GonnaCatchABig1
03-07-2008, 10:54 AM
To address Alewife and Blueback Herring declines, Massachusetts implemented a three year moratorium on the catch of herring beginning in December 2005. By the end of 2007, bans on herring fishing were also enacted by Rhode Island, Connecticut, and North Carolina.

These bans have not yet helped improve river herring stocks, and by the end of 2007, several fishing environmental groups asserted these actions would remain ineffective because overfishing by ocean midwater trawling was the primary cause of these herring declines . Because of the impacts to herring stocks, and presumed impacts to offshore ground fisheries, in December 2007, several environmental groups filed a federal lawsuit against the federal government to ban this trawling from certain ground fish areas.
(from buzzardsbay.org)

soooo... the MA moratorium ends this december. but i suspect it will be reinstated if the stocks havent changed.

Mike P
03-07-2008, 11:27 AM
turkey vultures are a sign of spring? i see them yr. round...

They're a sign that the town dump is just ahead :hihi: