View Full Version : Boat Maintenance

fishaholic18
03-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Pulled the cover back so I can access what needs to be done to the "Hole in the water" this year. F^%$# boats always need something.:lossinit: Got a few electrical problems straightened out that I neglected last year, loose connections mostly. I'll change the water separator and grease all the fittings as I do before every season. Put in a new water pump and changed lower unit oil end of last season so I should be all set there. We'll see what else needs to be fixed when I get done checking the whole rig over..:lossinit: Thank God I can fix this sh!t myself...

What does do you guys need to do to your rigs b4 the season kicks off?? Do you guys do your own repairs?

pmueller
03-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Minimum change plugs, take the prop off and regrease the hub.
Some guys I know wait till they burn the first tank of oil off before changing the plugs. Changing the water pump every couple of years is good. Especially if your in a sandy area.
The gas filter is a must. I've gone to stabilizing the gas all season long. Just heard of too many issues out there. Knock on wood its all helped so far.
Also keep an extra set of plugs on the boat along with an extra filter.

fishaholic18
03-07-2008, 02:43 PM
I've gone to stabilizing the gas all season long. Just heard of too many issues out there. Knock on wood its all helped so far.

I did the same last season.. Had one water in the fuel problem begining of last season and that was enough..What a PIA that was..:agree:

zacs
03-07-2008, 02:59 PM
change plugs
change filters
change gear oil
lube
i also have some electrical gremlins to track down
replace 2nd bilge pump
add spare to trailer
wash, wax. no paint this year (wOOOt)
maybe add a couple of rod holders if time permits.
maybe add some more led under gunnels if time permits.

Uncle Matt
03-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Buy and install two new batteries, drain the tank into my truck, replace all of the trailer lights, clean her up and wax her. All short order stuff. I already had new thermostats and impellor done in the fall.

ProfessorM
03-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Hey Dave is it hard to change a water pump and thermostat? . I have a 90 Honda and was wondering what is involved. I do my Johnson 2 stroke my self but never tried a 4 strock before. Probably just need to get the maintenance manual and look for myself. I keep saying I am going to try it, someday. Pretty expensive to have it done every other year.

InTheHole
03-07-2008, 05:08 PM
I try to do my own stuff whenever possible, tune-up, change oils, filters, impellers etc. But this year I am going to have to pull the starboard transmisson and take it to the shop, I heard noises I didn't like the last two trips in the fall. I put the boat away and said I'll deal with it in the spring ... so now it's time ..

fish4striper
03-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Paul,

Rand R stuff, pretty easy. Check the library for a manual to check out for a month. They carry alot of them thru out the towns. Look at the steps in the manual and decide whether you're up to it.

pmueller
03-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Pulled the cover back so I can access what needs to be done to the "Hole in the water" this year. F^%$# boats always need something.:lossinit: Got a few electrical problems straightened out that I neglected last year, loose connections mostly. I'll change the water separator and grease all the fittings as I do before every season. Put in a new water pump and changed lower unit oil end of last season so I should be all set there. We'll see what else needs to be fixed when I get done checking the whole rig over..:lossinit: Thank God I can fix this sh!t myself...

What does do you guys need to do to your rigs b4 the season kicks off?? Do you guys do your own repairs?

Don't forget to check the expiration dates and pressure of your fire extinguishers.
If you have any saftey equipment that runs on batterys, change them in the spring also.

fishaholic18
03-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Hey Dave is it hard to change a water pump and thermostat? . I have a 90 Honda and was wondering what is involved. I do my Johnson 2 stroke my self but never tried a 4 strock before. Probably just need to get the maintenance manual and look for myself. I keep saying I am going to try it, someday. Pretty expensive to have it done every other year.

PM coming

fishaholic18
03-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Don't forget to check the expiration dates and pressure of your fire extinguishers.
If you have any saftey equipment that runs on batterys, change them in the spring also.

Good point. Most of us forget about that stuff..:btu:

piemma
03-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Any of you guys need a great boat mechanic call Fishaholic18. He has done all the work on my boat and he is absolutely the best.

He's getting ready to do my water pump impeller, steering cable and whatever else he see that I need.

Boat's coming to your house next weekend Dave.

fishaholic18
03-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Any of you guys need a great boat mechanic call Fishaholic18. He has done all the work on my boat and he is absolutely the best.

He's getting ready to do my water pump impeller, steering cable and whatever else he see that I need.

Boat's coming to your house next weekend Dave.

Cool, see you then Paul..

macojoe
03-08-2008, 10:55 PM
I do all my own stuff, so far I have been able to thank god!!

I have a new to me boat this year so I have tons of stuff to do! I did work most bugs out last fall when I first bought it so I am ok there I hope?
But I have a new furuno fish finder & thur hull I have to install along with my new hard top, elet box, marine radio, new att on top the hardtop with spreader lights and the list goes on!!

The problem this year is I just bought a house and the closing is at the end of this month!! So I have to move, build a barn, and get the boat ready!!

I smell a beer bash at Maco's, after the stuff all installed and cleaned we crack the keg!
Might have to have two, one for the boat and one for the Barn rasing!

Goose
03-08-2008, 11:27 PM
new battery
install trailer lights(first time in years)
go through the wiring...I wicked sux at that.
modify live well for more air
install new plotter
install stereo,, maybe
wax,, very funny
fuel water separator must

To be honest if the fish show up before I get around to it I just may go with the new battery and filter

Van
03-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Install new compass (I destroyed the old one trying to get it out).
But that means rotozipping a slightly larger hole, and making up a curved base so it will sit flat, (my dash is curved where the compass goes.).

Found an engine cooling bypass is probably corroded/clogged and needs replacing, that means removing the clam shell engine covers to get to it. WHile I'm there check and replace any worn hoses, (had 2 fail in that area already).

Replace recalled through-hull valve. (PIA getting to that !!!!)

Clean and needs a good waxing.

Hopefully thats it and it won't be like last season when I was out for 4 weeks with repairs. :cens::cens:

Thankfully I got friends with boats !!!!!:bl::bl:

MakoMike
03-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Need to have an oil change done, I ain't doing that myself! Replace two raw water intakes hoses, change the fuel filter elements and a load of small stuff, like replacing an engine box tie down, replumb the horn, etc.

missing link
03-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Maco your in my neck of the woods now:cheers:
ML