View Full Version : Goals for this season?

Edge Sportfish
03-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Other than the blatantly obvious " I want to catch a 50 etc." what is your personal goal to accomplish this season? If you don't have one you should think about it. It gives you something to look forward to and start making a game plan for now while you get fired up to get after it.

My goal is to get up for a visit with the wife and have Slingah get me into some boat fish on the North river and to catch a pig on one of Bigfish's plugs from the beach....

Backbeach Jake
03-09-2008, 07:01 PM
I want to fish with as many of the good folks here as possible and just have a good time, a coupla keepers for the freezer.

Edge Sportfish
03-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Right on BBJ. I dig your avatar, I have a picture of my wife standing next to the same bones while they were still a bit ripe. (She's holding a nice fish and her breath at the same time)

I want to fish with as many of the good folks here as possible and just have a good time, a coupla keepers for the freezer.

gone fishin
03-09-2008, 07:13 PM

Well said and I second that!!

BigFish
03-09-2008, 07:36 PM
I guess given George's post and having fished up here with him and his wife Tracey before, one great goal would be to do that again! Hope you make it up! (I'll build yer plugs fer ya.....but it ain't gonna be easy!):kewl:

I would like my first 40 pound plus and I want it on my wood! :musc:

Rob Rockcrawler
03-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Same as always, beat the PB and fish more spots. Last year beat the PB but only fished 1 new spot, this year im going to fish and learn at least 5 new locations.

spence
03-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Break 30 lbs...and fish a lot more than I have the past two years...

-spence

Raider Ronnie
03-09-2008, 08:11 PM
To stick to my plan (unlike the past few years)
And do some neglected projects around my house (gutting one of my bathrooms now)
Instead of saying the hell with it, it can wait
and spending every possible minute on the water !:hidin:

Fishin' Blues
03-09-2008, 08:20 PM
I'd like to haul in a 30#'er and a schoolie tuna this year.

ilovetwofish
03-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Brake 35# and get a albie or a bonita on the fly.

tattoobob
03-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Taking my Dad on our fist tuna trip with Jeff Smith this summer, and go large on BI with DZ.

My main goal is to fish Eels and then put a Custom plug in the fishes mouth so I can get free plugs.

BigFish
03-09-2008, 08:41 PM
TattooBob sounds as if he has plug envy?:laugha:

johnny ducketts
03-09-2008, 08:44 PM
catch my first reasonably sized fish from the surf

BigBo
03-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Fish the surf with Larry this year. We keep saying we're gonna, but never do.:lama:

BigFish
03-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Well we are gonna!:btu:

mosholu
03-09-2008, 08:54 PM
I would like to get a keeper from the surf during the may/june period, and a nice size one in the fall from the surf as well. I would also like to retain more information and apply it better as I make the same errors more than I would like to admit.

Raven
03-09-2008, 08:54 PM
To stick to my plan (unlike the past few years)
And do some neglected projects around my house (gutting one of my bathrooms now)
Instead of saying the hell with it, it can wait
and spending every possible minute on the water !:hidin:
=========================================
this guy up north was explaining to me.... something that made sense.

he said people are willing to spend around $25,000 bucks on rebuilding a bathroom
these days because you spend allot more time in there than you think.... often times naked....so why not
be as comfortable as possible in there and have it as nice as you really want it.

that might be beyond your budget but the concept is right on.:grins:

The Dad Fisherman
03-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Break the 30 lb'er mark
De-mystify the needlefish....still ain't really figured them out yet.
Fish some new spots.....got a couple already picked out to hit hard next season.

Edge Sportfish
03-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Brake 35# and get a albie or a bonita on the fly.

Lovetwofish, when you want to catch albies on fly give me a call. We have millions of them in the 10-20 pound range here in the summer and offer a "catch them until you say uncle guarantee or no charge" policy here. You'll literally hate them before the day is over.

jimmy z
03-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Just to be able to get out there and do this thing we do is my goal. I believe in keeping it simple.:wavey:

Slingah
03-09-2008, 09:27 PM
well, I met one goal already and that was to catch a sailfish (thanks George)
I guess my new goal is to learn how to fish from the otherside:tooth:

BigFish
03-09-2008, 09:33 PM
You switching teams Matt?:rotflmao:

Slingah
03-09-2008, 09:39 PM
:yawn:

Redsoxticket
03-09-2008, 09:45 PM
The one goal of several will be to effectively use sluggos similar in technique and results as "Van Staal Steve".

The Dad Fisherman
03-09-2008, 09:46 PM

Not that there's anything wrong with that....

crash
03-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Just moved, new territory to play with so my primary goal is to fish 3-4 days a week.

Finally keep a log.

First albie

Breaking 40 would be sweet, but definitly a reach for me considering I'm fising forign territory, rebreaking 30 may be a more realistic goal.

Goose
03-09-2008, 10:48 PM
I'l like ta catch a 49 pounda and 9 pound fluke.

ya know that extra pound ain't all thats its cracked up ta be. :D

texican
03-09-2008, 11:19 PM
My goals:

-Make myself expand in fishing techniques. I don't want to just fish one way(Topwater) but habbits are hard to break :deadhorse:. JIG BABY!
-Break my PB. I have done it the last two years in a row. But that was not hard to do since my PB was 28#'s. Wanna break 35.
-Meet new fisherman
-Find a few ways to break the off season. Freshwater fishing.

Brother Brian
03-10-2008, 06:41 AM
Match the spot to the lure.

Rappin Mikey
03-10-2008, 06:55 AM
I'd like to break the 40# mark this year.

Clogston29
03-10-2008, 07:07 AM
I want to strike a better balance between fishing and everything else in life this year. I still want to get out and fish alot, but I want it to cause less impact on other things. Definately doeable, I just need to be more self aware and less compulsive.

Mr. Sandman
03-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Develop a more specialized surfcasters jig (a type of buck tail of sorts) for fishing my waters. I have got a pile of protos, and all kinds of one off molds on my workbench but after testing them all I am back at the drawing board. Getting closer...maybe a few more weeks.
(a few people have seen me out there casting stuff off a friends pier this winter and I can't imagine what they are saying)

...then actuually catch a fish with it this spring!

Flaptail
03-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Stay healthy and fish a lot and just have fun doing it.

I would like to fish up north with Rockfish9 and get Numby to come along. I always thought of anything north of Plymouth MA as the Artic regions. :walk:

Would be different ( And I will do the driving):ss:

Write a book? nah:smash:

BigFish
03-10-2008, 12:15 PM
:read:

You better plan on fishing with BigFish....ya big dope!;)

I'd buy yer book!

Finaddict
03-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Get down and fish with George - be it night snooking in the inlet or offshore ... :wave: -
BigFish's Dannys would slay them.

Other than the blatantly obvious " I want to catch a 50 etc." what is your personal goal to accomplish this season? If you don't have one you should think about it. It gives you something to look forward to and start making a game plan for now while you get fired up to get after it.

My goal is to get up for a visit with the wife and have Slingah get me into some boat fish on the North river and to catch a pig on one of Bigfish's plugs from the beach....

chris L
03-10-2008, 12:56 PM
fish without using too much fuel . Im going to have to be imaginitive on this . I am not giving cash to greedy pigs . my #1 goal as always is to have fun !!

by the way anyone see me on the beach I got a hair cut .

chris L
03-10-2008, 01:00 PM

doesnt make him a bad guy . but you wont catch me in the mens room stall sitting next to him anytime soon .

have a good time on the other side rocket man .

did you mean flyfishing or tuna fishing not the other way ?

jimmy z
03-10-2008, 01:03 PM
And, to keep focused, and hopefully get a personal best. That's always in my plan.:kewl:

fishbones
03-10-2008, 01:26 PM
I want to strike a better balance between fishing and everything else in life this year. I still want to get out and fish alot, but I want it to cause less impact on other things. Definately doeable, I just need to be more self aware and less compulsive.

I'd like to do the same thing, but I need to fish more this year to strike a good balance. Last year, I fished less because of a new job, small child and home renovations. I found that I was grumpier around the house because I was busy with everything else and not fishing enough. This year, I plan on getting my wife and son out on the boat and getting out after work more. If I can do this, I'll make myself and everyone around me happier.

As for the goal, I'll be happy if I can fish with my son and get him hooked the way my dad did for me. Any nice catches will be a bonus.

keeperreaper
03-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Last year was an amazing year but towards the end I was burnt out. This year fish my goal is to concentrate on quality fishing every time out, getting more bang for my buck. I'm going to do less tuna fishing and more bass fishing due to time constraints with a new one on the way and the job. I need to reteach myself to really enjoy the experience and not just the results again.

american spirit
03-10-2008, 02:07 PM
I scouted two spots so far that i want to fish hard this year. Other goals are to fish every wednesday night (new work schedule gives me thursdays off), gain confidence in darters and bucktails.

Slingah
03-10-2008, 02:16 PM
did you mean flyfishing or tuna fishing not the other way ?
what I mean by "the otherside" is fishing for striper from a boat...I am not switching teams....happily married ( to a woman)...

BigFish
03-10-2008, 03:22 PM
I have seen the "marriage" thing used as a cover before......hiding in marriage as a surfcaster and then.......he comes out of the tackle box....a boat fisherman!:huh: Frankly....I am scared!:err:

tattoobob
03-10-2008, 03:47 PM
by the way anyone see me on the beach I got a hair cut .

Oh man a hair cut, I don't take to change well

BillyBlanks
03-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Beat my personal best of 43#s, ideally break the 50 mark. Catch an albie or bonito on the fly.

ProfessorM
03-10-2008, 04:06 PM
same as every year, have fun and fish with friends

ThrowingTimber
03-10-2008, 04:34 PM
I'd like to learn, have fun, be prepared, be early, I'd like to get the girls and Candi on some fluke if possible

HookLine&Sinker
03-10-2008, 05:05 PM
catch fish on all my plugs,
catch a 30#+ fish
get atleast 10 keapers
catch atleast 3 fish on jiggs

Monty
03-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Spend more time fishing with my eleven year old son.:angel:

striperman36
03-10-2008, 05:20 PM
If I could only get my 11 year old to fish!!

55+ and more friends on the boat, or maybe more friends that want to get up and go fishing at 0330.

EricW
03-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Catch a whole mess of bluefish!

And a 3lb + pickerel at my favorite lake.

numbskull
03-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Catch a big white perch.

striperman36
03-10-2008, 06:32 PM
good luck with the perch unless you go to ACK.

WadingWill
03-10-2008, 06:40 PM
To have alot of fun, learn alot, not get hurt, and hopefuly catch a pig on one of my plugs. I also want to take my wife, sister, and friend surfcasting for the first time and put them on some fish.

smac
03-10-2008, 09:19 PM

Not get divorced.

patpatriot
03-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Enjoy as much time on the beach and with the sun, besides that, being in the dark of night with a 100lb Brown shark....ahh serenity now.

bloocrab
03-11-2008, 12:01 AM
My goal is to get the grass in the front yard to fill in all the cracks that formed due to rain run-offs...:mad: I newly seeded late last fall and I got more veins in the front yard than I care to mention. Gonna be a tough one with such a high pitch -

Fish - Wise = I still can't fish like I used to, but with another possilbe push of large fish this year, I'm going to make myself available to them. :)

....and get another job that doesn't involve being on call ////...:bsod:

Slingah
03-11-2008, 06:15 AM
almost frorgot my #1 goal of 2008...
Catch More, Fish Less

Hooper
03-11-2008, 07:12 AM
I like the idea of keeping a trip log. Makes for interesting winter reading. And, I need to fish more this year....

fishbones
03-11-2008, 09:09 AM
My goal is to get the grass in the front yard to fill in all the cracks that formed due to rain run-offs...:mad: I newly seeded late last fall and I got more veins in the front yard than I care to mention. Gonna be a tough one with such a high pitch -

Have you tried putting that straw material (it rolls out like carpet) down over the seeds? My friend had a new home built and the front yard sloped towards the street. When they first seeded, the seeds all washed down the street after the first rain. Then the builder re-seeded and put the straw stuff on top and it held the seed pretty well. It also helps keep the moisture on the seeds. The stuff decays into the lawn over time and dissapears. You can probably pick it up at any garden center or Lowes/HD.

bloocrab
03-11-2008, 09:17 AM
I'll definately have to look into that - thanks

It's been these monsoons we've been having last fall & recently. Do you think the rivers of rain will ride over this "carpet"?

Man I hope it works - once it fills in, I should be ok.

Thanks again -

MarshCappa
03-11-2008, 09:25 AM
My biggest goal is enjoy every second I am able to spend on the water and not take anything for granted. Other than that I'm looking forward to fishing with my friends and family. As far as poundage goes I'm happy with catching anything that fights me. This year is going to my first with eels. I've heard they catch big fish:hee: Not going away with the plugs though because they keep me moving and my ADD makes waiting for fish to bite bait very painful.

fishbones
03-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I'll definately have to look into that - thanks

It's been these monsoons we've been having last fall & recently. Do you think the rivers of rain will ride over this "carpet"?

Man I hope it works - once it fills in, I should be ok.

Thanks again -

No problem. I think it will definitely help. It worked wonders for my friends lawn. Here is a link that shows what the straw mat does.

http://www.volmbag.com/gardianseedpmm.html

I'm sure somewhere local sells the same thing or another brand. Good luck with the lawn. I love spring because of the fishing, but I hate the yardwork and landscaping that goes along with it.:crying:

hyefisherman2
03-12-2008, 05:37 PM
break 25lbs in the canal :tooth:
spend more time fishing with my friends
take an albie or bonito on the fly with the guidance of my good friend capecodkid :wave:
learn new jigging spots
pilgrimage to mecca :angel:

StriperFvr
03-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Attempt to get the finicky albies and bonito to consitently take my offerring.

Squibby17
03-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Well I'm still winding down from my other season of skiing. My goal was to get 30 days in and I'm up to 21 with this weekend and maybe one more I think I'll hit 25.

As far as fishing.

Break #30 from the shore. I was getting close by the end of last year.

Do more with the fly rod. Getting a keeper would be great.

Fish with a few members from this site.

Explore more of the North Shore which is some what new for me.

Get to Cuttyhunk. It's time.

onsetangler
03-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Fish with my Dad as much as I can
Get a 30# from shore
Get a 40#from the boat
Fish Cuttyhunk
Get a weakfish
Put more time into the fly rod

Surfpirate
03-14-2008, 08:45 AM
This year I plan on taking the time to fish with some old friend and make a few new ones.

Catching is great, but my best memories involve people.