View Full Version : Gas prices... At what price will you throw in towel?

Mr. Sandman
03-11-2008, 11:51 AM
and sell the boat?

Raven
03-11-2008, 12:12 PM
when i was a very young man i built my own fold down sail for my pram.... an oar was my rudder.

it was the only logical thing to do "then " other than to row...

it took me to some great striper fishing spots.

i am considering doing something similar

and then have dual trolling motors for when not using

the sail and mast which i want to be telescopic and a fold down.

i have started collecting materials to build a sailing skiff.

no fuels........ will be required. Screw O P E C :realmad:

fishaholic18
03-11-2008, 12:25 PM
and sell the boat?

Problem is..Could you sell it? How much of a loss will you have to take? I see a ton of boats for sale and none seem to be moving..Not good..

Mr. Sandman
03-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Well, basically you would abondaon it and get out of boating and take the total loss. Keeping a worthless boat in the yard gets old after a decade or two.

I don't think most people have grasped just how worthless their boats have become in the last two years. It is going to get a lot worse too.

InTheHole
03-11-2008, 01:54 PM
I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of boating related losses for the insurance companies by the end of this season.

Raven
03-11-2008, 01:57 PM
if they can build electric cars

why not electric boats?

fishaholic18
03-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Have you seen the amount of boats for sale out there..Crazy..These gas prices have everyone in a panic and for good reason..Ridiculous..

big jay
03-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Not a good season to have one of those triple outboard, 30' center consoles.

Uncle Matt
03-11-2008, 03:22 PM
I may not throw in the towel but I will fish more wisely and closer to shore. I don't know if I can put less than the 46 hours on the boat then I did in 2007. I may just visit my boat this summer. Go down, drink beers, and pretend I'm fishing as it sits on the storage lot on the trailer. Maybe wax the hell out of her if I'm sober enough.

Raven
03-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Hows the New House?

Raven
03-11-2008, 03:38 PM
the page with all the electric boat links....

even the Queen Elizabeth 2 is an electric Boat

http://www.econogics.com/ev/evboats.htm

keeperreaper
03-11-2008, 03:49 PM
The gas issue is out of control for sure. I will hedge my days offshore to optimal condition days and will keep my limit everytime out. I used to dump a lot of the fish back but need to justify the $$$$$$$$$$$ in my mind at least. This year I will also be fishing with buddies instead of the solo trips. As for running closer nah.

fishaholic18
03-11-2008, 04:03 PM
will keep my limit everytime out. I used to dump a lot of the fish back but need to justify the $$$$$$$$$$$ in my mind at least. This year I will also be fishing with buddies instead of the solo trips. .I'm thinking the same..

EarnedStripes44
03-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Keep the dogfish- some say they don't taste all that bad

striperman36
03-11-2008, 04:42 PM
I may get a 24 volt bow mounted electric instead of a new gps/plotter unit this year.
I also am getting a second vehicle for day to day traveling. The truck will be for hauling the goods only. Probably save me enough in weekly gas bills to be able to fish every weekend this summer.

And definitely passing the hat for gas at the pump in the morning.

keeperreaper
03-11-2008, 05:07 PM
I may get a 24 volt bow mounted electric instead of a new gps/plotter unit this year.
I also am getting a second vehicle for day to day traveling. The truck will be for hauling the goods only. Probably save me enough in weekly gas bills to be able to fish every weekend this summer.

And definitely passing the hat for gas at the pump in the morning.

I never ever asked for gas money, EVER. This year will be different.

Raider Ronnie
03-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Not sure about more or less on the boat,
But definitely trying for find another 4 cyl Toyota PU that I used to drive or similar to get me back and forth to the boat about 30 miles each way !
Driving my Ford super duty F350 is costing me about $100 a week just getting to and from work a week, only 10 miles each way :mad:

zacs
03-12-2008, 08:25 AM
I never ever asked for gas money, EVER. This year will be different.

me too, i think :(

taJon
03-12-2008, 08:35 AM
if it makes you feel any better, I paid over $8 per gallon in Baltimore the last time I went through there. Thats ridiculous.

keeperreaper
03-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Yes but that was a fill-up and a hooker.:kewl::kewl:

Goose
03-12-2008, 08:52 AM
It used to be---as long as the weather cooperated I'd go out there with plan A, B, C, & D. Oftentimes thats what ya gota do. I'll still target bass but I won't steam around like I used too. Just outside most buzz-bay ramps there is lots a structure that I've been overlooking, and when the bass have moved off it still holds excellent bottom fish. If money gets tight I will have to plan and fish smarter.

fishaholic18
03-12-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm thinking of filling my tank today b4 the price goes any higher..Get a few trips out of it anyway..

MakoMike
03-12-2008, 09:57 AM
It'll have to get a lot worse before I give up completely, but I will be trying to cut down on my fuel burn. Less trips to far far away, more inshore trips.

Gary
03-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Im probably not going to throw in the towel, Im just going to re-power with diesel. Feeding the 454 in my truck is bad enough, I can't wait to see what my new to me 30' sportcraft will eat with a 454 inboard, im figuring 20-25 GPH :rotf3:

blue oyster
03-12-2008, 05:15 PM
not keeping that many people away , the marina around the corner from me is sold out for the season already

Raider Ronnie
03-12-2008, 05:20 PM
I see a BIG jump is sales of locking gas caps for boats.
Especially if you keep in a slip !

Mr. Sandman
03-12-2008, 06:03 PM
I was with some family members not too long ago and they showed a photo of me with my 13' Boston whaler ( I was 13 or 14yo)...in the background you could see the price of gas.....29.9 cents/gallon.
Now THOSE were the days you could go out and fish all day on a few gallons of fuel and it didn't hurt. I have a 23' cc now and it cost over 4 bills to top it off. A few years prior I had a 33'er with twin crusader inboards and it I couldn't look when I gassed up, just gave him the card and moved on. Nowadays you can't even use a boat like that seriously. I think I am headed back to the days of the 13' whaler....how sad is that?

My wife has been pushing for a trawler to hang on for the summer, I may just succumb and screw a couple rod holders on to the trawler and call it a day.

What would I like? a 36' predator that cruises at 35 and I don't have to faint when I get the fuel bill.

nightfighter
03-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Rethinking the season...

Not going to be gearing up with new tuna gear as I had planned, ie. a reel or two, tackle and 3 or 4 spreader bars. Will make only a couple Stellwagen trips with my boat, and pool up gear and gas money with other bigger boats for the rest of my tuna hunts.

Will be sticking to my local haunts, fishing smarter, as Goose mentioned.

Held off on adding the T-top, as budget was more than tight from Dec-January. Fortunately, work has picked up and we are slammed again.

EricW
03-12-2008, 07:52 PM
I guess I am lucky, I have a 14' with a 15, and from late may to nov last season I burned between 12-15 gallons of fuel. I fill up with 3 gallons and did that 5 times (and still have a bunch in my tank that will probably end up at the town's disposal day). I only fish freshwater with it, but have lots of fun. I fish basically fish 1 to 2 times a week, and do quite a bit of running around and also did a good amount of trolling in the fall. Looking forward to trout season coming up. Good luck out there.

missing link
03-13-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm going to keep my boat , I don't go far for fish I'm not after the big one. Heck I usually get SKUNKED :fury: anyways but I get a Scup or to Black Sea Bass also thats a given.
I might consider selling to down size , I kind of like the "Lady Bug Plymouth" CC , but I tried to sell her last year and almost lost my mind went down to the broker and dragged her back home where she belongs, there's alot of inshore spots to hit with that Plymouth CC or even a tiller w/ extension very stable work boat
I went out 20 times last year I didn't spend over 500$ on gas
ML:walk:

Goose
03-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Regarding this thread,,you can switch the word gas with cigarettes and get about the same results.:smokin:

Hooper
03-14-2008, 01:15 PM
My solution to a fuel crisis is have keeperreaper fish with me! At least we'll be successful!

striperman36
03-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Tie the boats together?

keeperreaper
03-14-2008, 01:33 PM
My solution to a fuel crisis is have keeperreaper fish with me! At least we'll be successful!

I think its the other way around. But thanks for the compliment. I'm going to trade the Steigercraft for a nice set of golf clubs. electric carts....

Van
03-15-2008, 07:34 AM
I'm not going to change the amount i go out, but maybe make sure i get some coin from passengers.
and I think I will be Jerry Jugging to the boat with 20 gallons every trip. That will add up, and help a bit.

piemma
03-15-2008, 08:58 AM
So I am fortunate. 17.5 ft Sea Hunt CC. 90 Yami 4 Stroke. 3 trips up and down the Bay = 9 gallons. $3.00 per gallon X 9 Gal + $27.00 last year

9 Gal X $4.00 per gal = $36.00 this year.

Difference $9.00 Not bad considering. If I throttle back to say 3500 RPMs rather than 4200 I bet I can save a 1/2 gallon a trip.

Pete_G
03-15-2008, 02:24 PM
So I am fortunate. 17.5 ft Sea Hunt CC. 90 Yami 4 Stroke. 3 trips up and down the Bay = 9 gallons. $3.00 per gallon X 9 Gal + $27.00 last year

9 Gal X $4.00 per gal = $36.00 this year.

Difference $9.00 Not bad considering. If I throttle back to say 3500 RPMs rather than 4200 I bet I can save a 1/2 gallon a trip.

18 foot boats with a 4-stroke are the way to go. :humpty:

My buddy has an 18 Parker with a 115 4-stroke Yamaha that I often fish on and it returns only slightly worse numbers.

Mr. Sandman
03-15-2008, 03:30 PM
3 trips up and down the Bay = 9 gallons. $3.00 per gallon X 9 Gal + $27.00 last year

I suppose that depends on how you look at it....3 trips per year? That must be a typo....I do 2-3X that per week. I wouldn't bother owning a boat if I used it that little. The shrink wrap alone cost more then your fuel not to mention insurance and all the other junk.

piemma
03-15-2008, 05:26 PM
I suppose that depends on how you look at it....3 trips per year? That must be a typo....I do 2-3X that per week. I wouldn't bother owning a boat if I used it that little. The shrink wrap alone cost more then your fuel not to mention insurance and all the other junk.

No, no I mean 3 trips per week. I was just putting the fuel consumption in perspective. Hell, in May and June I fish 7 days a week if possible. Sorry if I was vague. I just meant to indicate that 3 round trips burn 9 gallons.

Mr. Sandman
03-15-2008, 06:18 PM
OH...sorry about that.:fishin:

MrHunters
03-16-2008, 08:31 AM
I think I will change my fishing habits a bit...more sitting in one place with the engine off.
I NEVER ask for gas money and often times refuse it when it's offered. I bought a boat that I can afford with room for fluctuating gas prices. 19ft with a 115 suzuki got me through last year 3 trips a week at under 2000 bucks.

I am fortunate enough to have good friends that have helped me out on more than one occasion, the least I can do get them on some fish from time to time.

Or at least go for a boat ride :hidin:

Raven
03-16-2008, 08:45 AM
everytime i drive by the gas station i'm mortified :af:
saying... http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/ts-smiley.png

and your a nice Guy mr Hunters :claps:
~
i priced an all electric motor thats got the power
that a trolling motor doesn't have and it costs 5 grand.:lossinit:

i sent away for telescopic mast info
and planning a front deck for a skiff
that has room for
solar battery chargers....:lasso:

03-16-2008, 09:10 AM
I was planning on pulling the boat up to RI for this years vacation with the gas prices this high it is out of the question. Not sure at what point I would consider selling the boat though.

Monty
03-16-2008, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=Pete_G;574589]18 foot boats with a 4-stroke are the way to go. :humpty:

I'm glad I just re powered with a new 90 hp Honda, it's great on gas and very quiet. It's on an 18 foot Privateer.

Spent my Sons college tuition, He'll just have to work in the trades and do an apprenticeship like me.:uhuh:

Hooper
03-16-2008, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=Pete_G;574589]18 foot boats with a 4-stroke are the way to go. :humpty:

I'm glad I just re powered with a new 90 hp Honda, it's great on gas and very quiet. It's on an 18 foot Privateer.

Spent my Sons college tuition, He'll just have to work in the trades and do an apprenticeship like me.:uhuh:

My first boat was an 18' Privateer. Had more fun on that boat. Then, I got foot disease....:wall:

Monty
03-16-2008, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=Monty;574798]

My first boat was an 18' Privateer. Had more fun on that boat. Then, I got foot disease....:wall:

Hi Hooper, This is my 10th season with this boat, the first full one with the new motor. I've rarely had the need a bigger boat disease, though going out to the canyons and Stellwagon would be fun, but flounder and striper fishing in the harbor has worked well for me.

You could always come full circle and pick up another Retreiver:fishin:

Regards, Monty.

Mr. Sandman
03-17-2008, 08:11 AM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/03/17/lavandera.gas.prices.cnn

Flaptail
03-17-2008, 01:06 PM
My 14 foot MirroCraft Deep Fisherman will be starting it's 39th season this year. 6.5 gallon tank w/18 hp Nissan combo pull/electric start 2 stroke. A humminbird Piranha 5 and compass and hand held GPS.

I get two days on the flats out of one tank. One day day along the Elizabeths.

I have been to Cuttyhunk, Circumnavigated Monomy a zillion times, Cape Cod Bay, Narragansett bay, Buzzards Bay just pick your days and go.

One or two guys, perfect. Gas can go to five bucks and I will still be doing what I want to do.

The day of the small boat is geing nearer.:uhuh:

Mr. Sandman
03-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Small boats are fine inshore but just don't get caught in a blow in places like that.

I would like to see a sport fishermen designed around a 40-60' sailing cat. These things have enormous beams and cruise at 20+ and are remarketably stable at lower speed trolling speeds. They just need to reconfigure the cockpit.

Van
03-17-2008, 01:16 PM
My 14 foot MirroCraft Deep Fisherman will be starting it's 39th season this year. 6.5 gallon tank w/18 hp Nissan combo pull/electric start 2 stroke. A humminbird Piranha 5 and compass and hand held GPS.

I get two days on the flats out of one tank. One day day along the Elizabeths.

I have been to Cuttyhunk, Circumnavigated Monomy a zillion times, Cape Cod Bay, Narragansett bay, Buzzards Bay just pick your days and go.

One or two guys, perfect. Gas can go to five bucks and I will still be doing what I want to do.

The day of the small boat is geing nearer.:uhuh:

CHICK BOAT !!!!! :conf::conf::hidin:

Raven
03-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Small boats are fine inshore but just don't get caught in a blow in places like that.

I would like to see a sport fishermen designed around a 40-60' sailing cat. These things have enormous beams and cruise at 20+ and are remarketably stable at lower speed trolling speeds. They just need to reconfigure the cockpit.

what i have in mind as well
but not til my ship sales in..
sorta like the setup in the "water world" flick
without all the rigging...in the way

40 to 60 feet tho thats huge:uhuh:

Mr. Sandman
03-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Check this out...
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatDetails.jsp?&units=Feet&currency=USD&ro=2&r=1717556&rs=yachtworld.com&rt=Center%20Console,%20Saltwater%20Offshore%20Fish ing&boat_id=1717556&checked_boats=1717556&Ntk=boatsEN&hmid=0&sm=3&enid=0&luom=126&currencyid=100&toLength=33&cit=true&boatsAddedSelected=-1&fromLength=23&ftid=101&man=seacraft&slim=quick

Better yet...Check this out! 39' SeaVee with IPS . I got some feedback on performance. 1.7 MPG @ 41 MPH was the sweetspot with a top end of 54. Remember this is a 39' boat.

boat show video:
http://www.splashvision.com/Video/13090_SeaVee-390i---twin-Volvo-Penta-ips-center-console-fish-boat.html