View Full Version : Opinions on new boat purchase?

bud8fan
10-14-2002, 09:30 PM
Ok Guys/Gals,

I have been looking around the past couple of weeks for a boat and have decided that a leftover 2002 is a far better deal than trying to find the nicest used boat around for under $10,000.00.
My philosophy is what may seem really nice could very well cost me another $8000-$10000 in a year or two to repower.
Getting a new one will add another bill to my life but so would having to repower down the road!!

Well this leaves me with the chore of deciding what I want and how much I really want to spend?
I have looked at the following center console models> Angler 180F ,Mercury 115 4 stroke, Sea Hunt 172 Yamaha 90 4 stroke and SH 200 Yamaha 115 4 stroke, Aquasport Osprey190 with Yamaha 115 4 stroke. The latter 3 are 2003 boat show special pricing so they say?
There are other comparible boats out there but seeing as this is the first time I have looked in the saltwater boat market I figured I would see what you all think before I go any further!

It seems like the main difference is layout! Each one has something a little different. For example I really liked the fact that the transom area of the Aquasport was wide open, unlike the others that have the livewell on one side and a storage compartment on the other. On the other side I didnt like the fact that the fish box was so small on the Aquasport.
I guess its give and take on them all!

The Angler was by far the best price but it was also the only leftover.
Ok guys what do ya think?
Just so you know the Angler was at least $2500-$3000 less without any haggling over the price.

Slipknot
10-14-2002, 09:43 PM
I'd skip the Anler. I've heard horror stories of hulls(new and recent new) cracking and serious spider cracking to the point they leak. It may be a limited problem but I wouldn't take a chance.

Look at SeaPro, they may not have a layout that's perfect but the hull is sound and you get a good bang for your buck. Their hulls have a coat of vinylester resin to stop osmotic blistering, but that may not be so important if you trailor it.

Also go witht the yamaha 115 4 stroke, not the 90hp.

schooliemonster just bought a new boat this past winter, a Triumph I believe, he likes it. they are great for low maintenence and if you bump a rock, no big deal.

good luck in your research, take your time.

Scotch Bonnet
10-14-2002, 09:53 PM
Bud, I went out to BI on the 19ft Pro Sports CC 140 4stroke Suzuki this summer. It gave a good ride in some rough water. Plenty of power. Seemed a bit cramped though. My buddie goes out for shark and tuna also in this boat. Figuring out where you want to fish and how you want to fish will help you narrow down the choices. What ever you buy just remeber in a couple of years you will want something bigger!

10-15-2002, 08:24 AM
Bud,
I think you are better off spending a little more for a new boat. You might want to give Scott @ Viking Marine (401) 682-2339 a call. The last time I talked to him he had a leftover Scout 185 18' center console rigged with a Suzuki 115HP 4-stroke. He was selling it for a good price. Also if you don't know much about Scout they just grabbed 2nd place in the J.D. Powers survey on center consoles overtaking Boston Whaler with whom they had tied last year.

JohnR
10-15-2002, 08:33 AM
Would you consider an older boat with new power? How soon do you need one? Like an old Seacraft 20 with a Suzuki 140? Run circles around any of the boats you meantioned in the snot :eek5: :D (OK, that's what I'd do but a lot of sweatequity would be involved) . That's what I'm going to do...

Also, definitely listen to 179 on the Scout, it's probably a little more money but certainly worth it. I've also heard from a few people that Scott runs an excellent shop...

kenny
10-15-2002, 11:35 AM
If you want a boat to fish and have family fun consider a walk around> Fairly dry ride,secure storage,potti toilet,not too bad for for a weekend over nighter.
i have a Seaswirl 21 ft. it fishes 3 to 4 with out crowding each other . The 150 Johnson ficht is great on feul and oil so far not troubles.
Don's Marine in Triverton handles them. Good luck.

Clammer
10-16-2002, 08:52 AM
GOOD luck Ive been trying to figure out the same thing for months
I.m looling a little larger 20-21
I agree with you ----its the layout , I like the sea-hunt but not the layout, the angler looked good ,but just read Slips post, scout has a 20- no 21 and made well,like the console but not the layout ---rear seats in the way , high bow rail, Trader the 18ft is gone he has a 17 -- seaswirl had the best setup ,except it comes with @#$% your paying for and won,t use, the anchot thing in front will kill some -one ,mayfair lotta boat for the money, Eastern nice boat more money, notheast boats out of Bristol, ones of the strongest boats on the market -- no little toys or boxes,etc jusy a serious machine -- good bucks, last night fishing came close to a guy with a Edgewater -looked nice ,but it must be out of mt league . Everyone has a @#$%%^ for tee tops, presonally they get in the way , and many of the boats are getting shipped with them
good luck to me and you

Get on line and there are plenty more to get confused with @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Van
10-16-2002, 10:06 AM
How come no-one ever mentions Proline???

I got one, and every one I talk to that has one loves theirs.

Good price, strong and seaworthy.
Great for the family and for fishing.

Great hull design for the snot.
I've been out in some real crappy stuff--No problem.

I also notice that not too many used ones come up in the classified. I think people hold on to them.

Just a thought, keep looking, Good Luck.

:)

Mr. Kav
10-16-2002, 11:48 AM
i agree with van, you never heard me complain about mine and i really haven't seen to many of them used for sale and that should say something for proline boats. just my .02

GBOUTDOORS
10-16-2002, 03:17 PM
So Clamdigger how about a nice seaswirl 21'cc with a yamaha 150 hpdi two stroke and trailer no bimini and no t-top sound good to you???? I love my 21' seaswirl daul consel same hull as the 21' cc just a drier ride. I know cc are better for fish fighting but they are wet you can't make a dry cc as there is no cabin to duck into . I have owned cc and skifs and no matter what brand you go with it is a wet ride if the wind is at your side in all of them. Of course with the 21' you will stay a lot drier than in most do to the high sides and free board. So what do you think Mike a nice seaswirl 21' CC???:D :D They have one at Don's with your name on it;) ;)

Striper1
10-16-2002, 04:04 PM
I would have to side with Van and Mr. kav....

I have a 97 Proline 201 walkaround.

Proline is a great boat!!

My next boat will be a walkaround with a hard top.

We all know it's no fun when you get wet.
Plus on the hot days you can get out of the sun.

Go with a walkaroud:D

Scotch Bonnet
10-16-2002, 04:18 PM
The Dusky 20' is a strong lookin boat. With the standard motor bracket it measures closer to 23'. Price is right, they cut out all the middlemen(factory direct). Just thought I'd add to the confusion.:rolleyes:

Striper SniperX
10-17-2002, 12:28 AM
Hey Guys!
How Much do them Pro-Lines Go for ? Looking for a 26-33' Walkaround,, in the near Future??

Just Let me know the Price Tag
...Appx.- Ball Park Figure ?

See Ya's

Van
10-17-2002, 07:48 AM
Sniper, I don't have a clue what the prices are for those boats nowadays. Sorry. Hope someone can help. If not call a dealer or check the brokers in boat mags..

Striper1:

Again I agree with you. That boat can take a pounding without a problem, I always feel safe even in some real nasty snot. And for the most part it is a dry ride. (that's the problem I have with CC's)

I know most fishermen/women prefer center consoles for more fishing room, But IMO having a small cabin for my kids and family when we go out for only a boat ride is a plus. When I am fishing, it has plenty of lockable storage so I can leave my tackle in the boat and don't have to lug it back and forth everytime i go out. Keeps my radios dry and on occassion one of my crew has taken a nap. (mostly my son)
I would love a hard to, but big bucks to add that now, at least I have the bimini. :D

Clammer
10-17-2002, 12:16 PM
yo Greg I was there Tuesday, Nice boat , don,t know about the price, plus paying for the extras they had it shipped in with, canvas, p/p ,etc 30k plus doesn,t soundlike a deal
Ps the weather I was in yesterday is the kind to test a boat in , all of these boats have little factory installed scuppers---- I guess they figure your never going to need them --except for rain, if I didn,t have custom made ,x/l scuppers It propably would have swamped, must of these boats ,are 6 months
boats to be used on good days
I want one Like A everyready battery , battered from over,under, front, side ,BUt it keeps on going/////////////////////////////////////

I need to get your ###############

striperswiper
10-17-2002, 01:54 PM
just a note to weigh in on this subject...I picked up a used Grady
White walkaround 21' for 16,500. (1992)...nice dry ride, qualty construction...I would agree the Pro-lines are a good boat also. The walk around is a great fishing platform and family boat when the need arises...

mrmacey
10-18-2002, 04:21 AM
i love my seamaster by united marine allways dry plenty of room to fish and play!!!! has a cuddy for me and wife to spend night in and the best reason i think i like this one the best its mines!!!!!!!

Van
10-18-2002, 07:27 AM
I love my boat too (Proline),

but I don't get it.

I thought those swimsuit models in the advertisements came with the purchase of each new boat. :smash:

Guess not...:(

schoolie monster
10-18-2002, 10:08 AM
Bud,

I think the very first thing to do, is decide what you want out of your boat. Just fishing, fishing/cruising, inshore vs. offshore. This is the best starting point. What are you looking to do?

Second, come up with a figure that you can live with... don't forget to include fuel, storage, maintenance, etc. (and time... how much time do you want to devote to upkeep).

There are so many factors. Myself, I wanted something I could store in my garage, easy to trailer, easy to launch, quick cleanup, easy on gas. I also prefer light tackle fishing and aspire to do a bit of flats-type fishing locally, on the cape and over at Nantucket where I vacation in the fall. I live in Weymouth which makes Boston Harbor my home waters. I came up with a 17-18' center console w/ a 4 stroke outboard. I looked at a bunch and attended the boat shows.

I found a great deal on a boat that fits nicely into my life. I figured it would be a really good starting point and I'm really happy with it and I put a heck of alot of fish in it this year.

I think if you're going to buy a boat, the most important thing is to match it to your style. You want to make sure you can and will use and enjoy it as much as you can or its not worth it. If you want to trailer, don't buy a big @$$ boat that's a pain to trail and launch. You won't do it on those days when you're up in the air about going. I know John wants access to Block Island and other offshore venues, so he wants the big water performance. As Van said, he likes to take out family and friends and likes to cruise around as well, so he likes the cabin of the walk-arounds.

I've only had the boat a season, so I wouldn't give any recommendations, but the size, power, etc. have worked out perfectly, so I'm glad I went through the whole thought process.

Good luck and have fun with it. I love going to those boat shows and checking stuff out.