View Full Version : current

mrstriper
03-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Tide running left to right...

do you cast left and try to work the plug with the current... or cast right and work it against the flow???

Clogston29
03-14-2008, 07:04 AM
cast left most of the time, with the angle depending on the current and weight/action of lure

also try casting straight out or slightly to the right and just letting the lure swing

basically, try different things until you find what the fish want, but most likely it'll be bait moving with current

jskinner
03-14-2008, 07:07 AM
In most cases, I'd cast a little uptide and work the plug across the current. As you do that the plug will swing downtide and you'll probably want to drop your retrieve speed down as the plug begins working against the current.

Joe
03-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Are you on a straight beach, near or on structure, or on a boat?
If the current is running left to right, and you are on straight beach, and you cast right, your lure will wash up well before you get it in.

NIB
03-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Use a jig..

piemma
03-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Where is the structure? In my mind, the structure is much more important than the direction of the tide. No structure, substantially less probability of decent fish.

fishbones
03-14-2008, 09:00 AM
I like to let the current take my plug past the structure. I have always been told that stripers wait behind the structure to pick off baitfish. If your lure or bait is presented the way the natural bait is being swept by, it will be more likely to fool the fish.

thortum
03-14-2008, 09:32 AM
:read: Experimentation is a wonderful teacher. :wid: Good luck.

cow tamer
03-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Sweep

zimmy
03-14-2008, 12:03 PM
I would try to position myself so that a cast at an angle up current swings the lure into a good position relative to the structure. At the end of the swing you can work it against the flow a bit if it hasn't washed onto land.

HESH2
03-14-2008, 01:12 PM
i always go with the flow.in this case iwould cast left and swing with the flow to rt on a slow reel in.keep in mind i use this way mainly in rivers.on beaches completly different set up according to conditions.

GonnaCatchABig1
03-14-2008, 03:35 PM
i've gotten results doin it bassakwards.. but i really only do it in narrow water, mostly under bridges.

i would plop it as close to me as possible and then let the crrent just take it.. when i felt it was far enough i would stop it, and let the current work it in that one spot for a while. if anything was gonna take it, it would scoop it up right after i stopped it. caught a few with this method on shads. i think it resembles a fish that got over powered and rested, thus being swept down current. and (if there is a fish there) looks like it got spooked and decided to try and make a swim for it. under a bridge i try and stop it right on the other side of the bridge. hoping fish are waiting on the outer edges for anything being washed through.

i spend alot of time watching small bait fish, and noticed they LOVE swimming against the current while feeding. they just swim and swim and pick off any little treats (krill and such) that gets swept at them. much like bass do. i figure bass know this and wait for one to get to tired and swept away from the pack.

mrstriper
03-14-2008, 05:16 PM
This question is in relation to zeno's book and the statement about casting up current...If the plug is moving with the current I don't always feel like I am getting the best action...reeling against the current feels like the plug is working better...

Any more thoughts!!!!

tattoobob
03-14-2008, 05:41 PM
I never cast up current, It always ends up with slack in the line and that's no good. cast straight out as far as you can and let the plug sweep while you reel in slow

NIB
03-15-2008, 07:20 AM
There is no wrong or right.I have caught em useing a 3/8 ball jig thrown way up current with a fin-s type bait attached.I have made perpendicular cast's and caught em on the swing I have bombed heavy jigs down current an just applied the lift an plop..Structure is the key but it can be hard to tell where it is at times.There might be tell tale signs in the ripples on the surface.But even then the best way is to probe it with a jig.I have a few area's I fish I can tell u excactly whats going on on the bottom.All from feeling around down there with a jig..Bass along with most other fish face into the current.Sure Bass will take advantage of hidey spots to get a break from the current and pounce on a unlucky food source.Don't think they cannot hold in the current just fine..I have seen bass of great sizes just playfully rolling on baitfish in a good 4 knots..Like someone said get out ther and experiment let the fish tell ya.I remember the yr I made the dedication to learning to fish the moving water.I have never left. U have to love the current..Where there is moving water u will find the fish.
And the NIB
As a aid next winter take up flyfishing for trout..U will learn how the fish one day will hold in the top of the hole one day in the back of the hole.U will learn the nuances of floating ur nymph with the proper presentation to fool ur prey behind that pc of structure.Trout like bass are oppurtunistic feeders.Its basically all the same.Just different tackle.Day to day things will change an u learn something new..Thats how u become better.

johnny ducketts
03-22-2008, 05:37 PM
i was going to say just give me a plug, and I'll decide for you :)

Goose
03-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Growing up I spent a lot of time mack fishing on the sandwich jetty with the rest of the picket fence crowd. It only makes sense to wait your turn because if you didn't the guy 20 yrds down current would end up cutting yo-line... especially if there's fish there. Not to be Racist, but, there are some none-english speaking that are very ignorant and show no courtesy in what is common sense when fishing near current.